Kathleen in AZ

Coconino NF motor vehicle map just published - very useful!

As one who's into free dispersed (dig-your-own-hole) camping, I always wonder if where I choose is blessed as okay by the forest service. This new map has little dots by areas approved. I haven't downloaded it to my phone yet, but it looks like they are making it easy to have the information on hand.

Coconino National Forest - Projects

Also "In areas with the dot notation, you can drive up to 300 feet from the road to car camp. On routes without the notation you can park one vehicle length from the road (~30 feet) and either camp there or walk to a campsite further from the road." Pretty cool to know!

Ahhh the pain....
    I'm such a geek for maps...very cool! Thanks for sharing DG!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for sharing! It is a wonderful thing that we can enjoy dispersed camping on OUR public lands

I just wish they would remove the roads they a closing.

Kathleen in AZ
    I too am am map geek... guess it's my geology background. I just downloaded free Avenza PDF Maps app and the free MVUM maps to my iPhone - awesome resolution! I'll be using this a lot this summer.

I also downloaded the Sedona and Verde Valley Trails map - meh... It's really not of high enough resolution to be that useful other than to give a broad view of the region. But I hear the $11.99 for the map goes back to the trails

mtbr member
    I download any pdf trail map I can get my hands on, put in my dropbox - the ipad is great for map viewing and it's on my iphone just in case I get lost. (not an apple fanboi, I love my PC)

drink coffee, ride.
    Maps and info - that's beauty of the internets. Thanks DG -

Oh, and speaking of camping and digging your own...but alas, it was the Prescott Nat'l Forest and no bike content, so be warned before clicking. Although several biking dads..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BycC...it?usp=sharing

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    Maps and info - that's beauty of the internets. Thanks DG -

Oh, and speaking of camping and digging your own...but alas, it was the Prescott Nat'l Forest and no bike content, so be warned before clicking. Although several biking dads..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BycC...it?usp=sharing
    You're a good dad, Cookie! Why can't I recall the name of Singing Dad? Been a long time since I've seen or ridden with that guy. All that camp needed to be complete was a couple of cowdogs (see my link below...) !!

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    You're a good dad, Cookie! Why can't I recall the name of Singing Dad? Been a long time since I've seen or ridden with that guy. All that camp needed to be complete was a couple of cowdogs (see my link below...) !!
    You mean this guy? more of the San Juans

butocabra - still hangin' together - his new job takes up quite a bit of time. We haven't turned a pedal in quite some time. But the chillin's have fun together, good beers and cheese are consumed, and lots of laughing takes place.

Yep the pups are a wonderful addition. Typically she is with us, but stayed home with the other girls of the pack this trip.