mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Closest trails to get out of the Phx heat

Sometimes I just can't get myself to wake up early enough to ride in the Phoenix area in the summer! What are some of the best trails at a high enough elevation to make it comfortable to ride in the summer? I live in Tempe and love riding in Flag, but don't always have the time to drive that far. Any advice? I am also considering buying lights to ride at night. Would love suggestions for lights and night rides too.

Saucy Size
    Ooh great question!

IMO the closest coolest rides are either gonna be Six Shooter Canyon up in Globe (90 minutes to the staging lot if you're riding to the top, 2 hours if you drive to the top with a shuttle driver -- you lucky duckie) or Highline Trail east of Payson @ the 260 trailhead (maybe 90-120 minutes to the th).

Closest, highest mountain you can ride up is, I believe, Mt. Ord, southish of Sunflower. Actually I think the Four Peaks Wilderness Road is closer and *as high* but holy cow, what a grind. Much longer.

On most days you can drive to Prescott in just over an hour, at least to the Lynx Lake trailhead behind Costco. Maybe +20m to get over to Spruce Mountain or Thumb Butte.

p.

EDR
    Ya, Six Shooter and the other trails at the top of the Pinal's are nice and cool up top, but by the time you get to the bottom it's hot as hell. Same with the trails on Mt. Lemon in Tucson, which I think actually takes longer to get to than Flag.

I like Paul's suggestions off of the 260 trialhead on the way to the Rim and Prescott. But it's not like you can leave your house and be riding in 40 minutes with any of these options. Figure 1.5 to 2 hours in reality, and that puts you within Flag drive time anyhow.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Preskitt would be my suggestion or the rim trails. Being on the east side in tempe the quickest would be the east side. I suggest a look at pine canyon trail it's a good up and down or the highline trail just out side of pine. Check me blog for some info...

My other ride is your mom
    anything up on the rim via the bee-line for the east siders is all good.....recent post on my blog(shameless plug) as well shows some of the goods.

mtbr member
    OP, the issue with riding at night is that everything is still radiating heat and cooling down.
    In the morning, everything has had all night to cool off. On a normal weather cycle, it's
    always much cooler in the mornings. Just a thought.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    OP, the issue with riding at night is that everything is still radiating heat and cooling down.
    In the morning, everything has had all night to cool off. On a normal weather cycle, it's
    always much cooler in the mornings. Just a thought.
    but work may frown upon the pre- post- ride beer with morning rides.
    b

Master Gardener
    I don't know how you lizard people do it. I was out in the heat of Granite Basin yesterday at 9 AM and was suffering. Even here in Prescott, I prefer to be riding in the mornings by no later than 7 AM this time of year. 5 AM is perfect. Maybe come up the night before, get a campsite at White Spar and then ride at sunrise.

Members who have read this thread: 3