Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Meatbomb

Cleaning chain and gears

My typical cleaning routine is to squirt on Simple Green a little scrubbing with a tooth brush and gently hose off. Keeps most parts clean enough but I notice the DR cogs are really getting gummed up... Do you guys use one of the cleaning systems or pull the chain to get to the cogs ?

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    My typical cleaning routine is to squirt on Simple Green a little scrubbing with a tooth brush and gently hose off. Keeps most parts clean enough but I notice the DR cogs are really getting gummed up... Do you guys use one of the cleaning systems or pull the chain to get to the cogs ?
    I just aim my magic shine at it for 20 min. and it burns the gunk right off.

Flaccid Member
    Pedal backwards while hitting it with an old toothbrush and some simple green, wash away gently with water. No high pressure blasting, or you get crud into and past the seals of the bearings.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO

JohnniO
    Take the wheel off and floss between the cogs with a dry rag. They'll be shiny and new.

You could always use gasoline but I wouldn't get it too close to your magic shine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    Nice

Got a suspension fork
    - Remove the chain
    - Put into a jar with some gasoline, shake it up well
    - Remove chain, lay it out and let it completely dry.
    - Lay it on top of some cardboard and put 1 drop of oil on each connecting link.
    - Put the chain back on
    - spin the cranks backwards for a minute
    - take a cloth or shop towel and remove as much oil from the as you can (oil is no good on external parts of the chain, only between the moving parts.)
    - let it sit over night
    - next morning or before you ride, wipe chain very well again.

I can ride about a month after doing my chain this way before it needs to be cleaned and lubed again.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    - Remove the chain
    - Lay it on top of some cardboard and put 1 drop of oil on each connecting link.
    - Put the chain back on
    - take a cloth or shop towel and remove as much oil from the as you can (oil is no good on external parts of the chain, only between the moving parts.)
    - let it sit over night

I can ride about a month after doing my chain this way before it needs to be cleaned and lubed again.
    wow! Thats a lot of work for a chain. Your bike must love you

mtbr member
    Picked up a bottle of this at the Pig's 50% off sale. I've used the biodegradeable citrus cleaners before, but I gotta say, this stuff works really well also.

Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

parenting for gnarness
    i wipe my chain down and relube every few hrs, and have gotten more adamant lately about just buying new chains. no special cleaners - just wipe with a rag, wipe the wheels on the deraileur, quick wipe through the teeth on the rings and the cassette. also floss the cassette. anytime the BB or casette is off i clean it all good. i put a drop or 2 of lube in the der flywheels ever few times too.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    wow! Thats a lot of work for a chain. Your bike must love you
    Sounds like a lot but the total time is only about 5 minutes max, not counting letting the chain dry.

Meatbomb
    I'm just going to drop my bike off at cholla's house every other week and let him keep it clean.

parenting for gnarness
    I'm just going to drop my bike off at cholla's house every other week and let him keep it clean.
    sweet, bring beer. i have 2 magicshines and 4 batteries, it will be clean enough to eat off of in 6 hrs.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've been doing the RandyHarris method for years (but with paint thinner) and it's worked very well. Now with the SS, I've been really careful about lubing just the pins and then wiping the ever-loving-crap out of it. Amazed how clean it stays although I do run a rag over it after each ride. I've yet to take it off and soak it. I did make the mistake on another chain where I left it in Simple Green for a week...not good...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Need a little clarification. Are you talking about the rear derailure pulley wheels, or the cassette cogs (your gears)? If your talking about your cassette cogs I would recommend buying a chain whip and a cassette removal tool. I've found that removing the cassette is the most effective way to clean it. Honestly its not difficult to do and there's something very rewarding about wrenching on your own bike. As far as bike maintenance goes it's one of the easier tasks to perform. Any LBS should have the tools you need.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    sweet, bring beer. i have 2 magicshines and 4 batteries, it will be clean enough to eat off of in 6 hrs.

You like Stella ?

can i wear my speedo and work on my tan too

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Phuck Cholla.......I'll charge less beers then he does.

Seriously...I hold my chain and jocky wheels between a rag every ride for a couple of revs's per ride...takes 15 seconds to remove the quartz (because that's what you are really worried about) from the chain and wheels. Every couple of rides in the desert...I add more wax lube.

That's it folks.....I hear about folks having to change out their tranny at XYZ miles and it's crazy....I ride more than most....plenty folks ride more....but I'm sure they do the same. I'm on 6k on my tranny and it's still shifting tight. Otherwise....wathch the chain stretch and be done with it...

I'm out......

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Phuck Cholla.......I'll charge less beers then he does.
    HEY!!! that's a personal attack!

if Phil will wear a speedo, the work will be free. i know all about you and your tranny.

My other ride is your mom
    Then ban me you farging Ice-hole....

p.s.......all bets are off if you choose to ride in a sand/water matrix for 7 hours like Cholla did....then all parts are eligible for replacement......very good leverage with the S.O.......

Me......I saw the writing on the wall.....I choose the El Jimador.....and I challange Cholla to say I did not win!!!!!

Meatbomb
    I will not wear my speedo near any tranny.

oh, tequila.....

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Every couple rides, I squirt some kerosene on a paper towel, run the cranks backwards wiping the derailleur cogs and full length of the chain, turning the paper towel until it's mostly black. Then do the same thing with a dry paper towel or two. Sometime later, I squirt the chain with dry wax lube.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by WaylonMcFlailin
    Every couple rides, I squirt some kerosene on a paper towel, run the cranks backwards wiping the derailleur cogs and full length of the chain, turning the paper towel until it's mostly black. Then do the same thing with a dry paper towel or two. Sometime later, I squirt the chain with dry wax lube.
    I used to use Pedro's Ice Wax but found it just didn't last as long as an oil based lube.

sandbagger
    Your all making this hard. Get long bristle brush and castrol super clean fromautozone. It will make cassette and all look brand new. Even leave it on the bike. Its no joke. It makes tires look brand new also. Spray it on dry scrub then rinse. Lube after dry
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    - Remove the chain
    - Put the chain back on
    - let it sit over night

Ditto, but I'm not as formal.

1: Use a SRAM chain w/ powerlink.
    2: Put into jar w/ paint thinner and shake it around.
    3: Wipe off chain and let dry.
    4: Put it on the bike and lube it.

Flaccid Member
    I used to use Pedro's Ice Wax but found it just didn't last as long as an oil based lube.

Ditto, I'd be lucky to get 15-20 miles out of a Pedro's wax based chain lube job. Not impressed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast