wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

CJ's Desert Dweller's: Western Box Turttle - Desert subspecies

CJ's Desert Dwellers
    Desert Western Box Turtle
    Terrapene ornata subsp. luteola

This is the Desert subspecies of the Western Box Turtle. They are around 10-14 cm in length, with high dome carapace (shell). The male (pictured, here) has bright red eyes; female, yellow-ish brown.

They are out after rains and, this guy was no exception. He was rescued from our dirt road (which they often traverse after downpours) and released by the pond.

Photographed November 27, 2008

If my photos or postings annoy you, please utilize the ignore feature of the site. I'm pretty sure a 'super' moderator can assist you…LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C.J.; 12-03-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Dave
    Aint' he the cutest!! It looks rather small approx how big was it across? Crawling out of a stream or something
    I need to ride more and work less.

"Yabut"
    I have two of these as pets (a male and a female). I was surprised to see them the last couple of days, as they are usually underground this time of year. They do love the rain. This is the female, Sid Vicious.

LoResTurtle.jpg
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

He's this big…

Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Aint' he the cutest!! It looks rather small approx how big was it across? Crawling out of a stream or something
    I listed the 'average' size for these (from reference guide books). This guy was rather large for his species, closer to 15-15.5 cm in length and around 10.5-11 cm in width.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    I have two of these as pets (a male and a female). I was surprised to see them the last couple of days, as they are usually underground this time of year. They do love the rain. This is the female, Sid Vicious.

LoResTurtle.jpg
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    we saw the BCT residnet tortise on teh ride sunday. I've only seen a desert turtle twice. and givne the location, I'm certain that I've seen the same turtle both time. he she can be seen alng BCT as just before the major drop down to the Aqua Fria for the first time when you head south from BCC trailhead.

He/she is about three times the size of the species shown above.

Cool pics CJ. keep them coming.
    b

ook
    Bexar County
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken

LoResTurtle.jpg
    And she looks to be in a full out sprint!

Who would be annoyed by these gorgeous pics? I think I'm with most, that looking at pictures is one of the attractions in reading the posts. Keep'em coming!

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by ook
    And she looks to be in a full out sprint!
    Hahaha, yeah kinda. But no, that's just how they walk. They can move pretty fast though. Ya know, for a turtle.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    is that the one you found thanksgiving? Have you checked your pm's?
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    is that the one you found thanksgiving? Have you checked your pm's?
    Yes, it is, and, yes, just did…open…let me know…

Thanks for coming down for Thanksgiving.It was unfortunate that it rained all day and there was no ride, though.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member

My other ride is your mom
    that's huge....I did not know they got that big?!?!?!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    We know of Bulldozer. We helped start the ‘area search’ that resulted in his return. That weekend, (Nov 5-6-7)we had B&B guests/riders. Our guests returned from a ride on Saturday, telling me they saw a desert tortoise 'as big as the trail'. I thought I was hearing a ‘fishing story’, said, “yeah, right”. They said, “ we have pictures!” It was very obvious this was no desert tortoise!!!

That night, when our neighbors were over for dinner, I brought up the topic. They, (our neighbors) informed us that another of our neighbors had lost him. MaryEllen called the owners and they came by and talked to us. I told them the general area and they were up there the next day looking. Great job on finding him! (I was stuck at an art show and couldn't go ride)

Here's some photos from our guest, Jimmy Mangum.
    Last edited by C.J.; 12-03-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add another 'dozer photo - dozer photos by Jimmy Mangum, North Carolina
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Yes, the Bulldozer story had a happy ending. One of the riders I was with, hooked up with the owners within a few hours of posting the photos and helped to direct them to the last known location..

Unfortunately, the final guy in our group to get the word (and who shall remain nameless.....STEVE ) that our "mutant" Desert Tortoise was actually an exotic African Tortoise, a pet, made an embarrassing call to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. He may have have breathlessly uttered the words "humongous!" or "behemoth!" or "scientific breakthrough!" . I don't think that the lady from the museum actually called him a bonehead, but she probably thought it.

By the way CJ, I don't often post on this site, but I really enjoy your posts and photos.
    Last edited by swampfox; 12-03-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Pivotal figure
    Here's one we saw at our jumpin spot in Mesa...Different but still cool.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Here's one we saw at our jumpin spot in Mesa...Different but still cool.
    Yes, VERY cool!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!