wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

CJ's Desert Dwellers: Resident Immature Harris's Hawk

I uploaded this photo to Facebook. You can check it out at: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1165577170

I'm adding a lot to my galleries on Facebook and there is more information on this particular shot in my gallery.

I'm starting a book…

photographed: November 21, 2008
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C.J.; 11-22-2008 at 06:36 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Kathleen in AZ
    Gorgeous! He's all fluffed up for the chilly weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    great pic, I sent a link to my dad.

Keep them commin man.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Wonderful birds, Harris's Hawks.
    Thanks for the pic.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Not a 'fluffer', but the type of plumage.

A note on plumage and age:Adult plumage of older birds is called definitive basic plumage & definitive alternate plumage. Most songbirds reach this level in one year, but there are exceptions, (gulls & eagles, some large birds of prey amongst them), that may take several years to reach definitive basic plumage. The different plumages are called first basic, second alternat, etc, depending on species.

This gal will display plumage identifying her as a juvenile for at least the first year, before molting. Her first basic plumage ALWAYS looks fluffed and ruffled.

I've read a couple of theories on why: Young birds with juv plumage are more often tolerated by adults and, to other predators, they 'look a little bigger'. (Think of a teen puffing up and trying to look tough…it's built into these juveniles!)
    Last edited by C.J.; 11-24-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: correct conflicting information
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Her larger Sibling

This is the previous hawk's larger sibling. These birds eggs hatch asynchronously and, due to the abundant prey in the area, 'little sis' didn't get eaten. Photo was taken at the same time as the last. They are sitting about one foot from each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very cool pics. I worked at a raptor rehab center for 2 years when I was in college, so I've actually held a harris hawk perched on my arm. I think it's so cool that they hunt in packs.