Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Chris King Ring drive lube?

Anybody know a shop in the Valley that carries the stuff?

Cactus? No.

Thanks,
    bobo

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    Anybody know a shop in the Valley that carries the stuff?

Cactus? No.

Thanks,
    bobo
    What series of CK hubs do you have? It makes a difference, but on my older Series 3's I run Phil Woods Tenacious Oil. I have also used Castrol 20W-40 Synthetic motor oil in the past which works fine.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

They are pretty new (less than a year)

They are ISO-Disc hubs. The latest model... The manual says to use the special CK sauce....

bobo

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    They are ISO-Disc hubs. The latest model... The manual says to use the special CK sauce....

bobo
    Yeah, of course it does, the stuff is $12 a bottle.

So your hubs are designed to run on oil, the early 3 series CK's (304-314) used a special grease. It says right on the CK site that you can run a "Non-Detergent 20w Synthetic Motor Oil" in place of the CK Ring Lube.

I prefer the Phil Woods, its top quality stuff and designed for hubs. Have been running it in my CK's for the past 2 years (4 oil changes) with no problems at all.

If you have never rebuilt King's, they are stupid simple. Just pull the lock ring, the axle and drive shell should pop right out after that. Clean everything with some WD-40 and wipe it all down with a rag and coat the drive shell, bearings and inside of the hub shell with oil and reassemble. Whole process takes about 10 minutes.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

You are correct sir.

looks like 20W synthetic oil is OK according to the web site.

This will be my first hub overhaul. It looks simple enough. I hope it works out that way. Usually the second or third times through are much easier.

Thanks,
    bobo