Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Chicken Point - White Line

There are so many great lines in and around Sedona, rolling sandstone bliss. Once in a great while, a new line is found and then goes down for the first time. This one deserves special recognition, special notice simply because it is that good (and noone died).

While sitting upon Chicken Point along the Broken Arrow Trail, there is a distinct and mysterious white line high and above in the sheer sandstone wall (rock and geo people please feel free to enter your 'White Line' reasoning ... here). The white line stands out boldly about 70 feet above the classic vantage point. Sheer cliff, 200 feet of mistake and a small off cambre line that traverses along the way. (Insert: Do NOT try this line ... EVER.)

So today, I get the pleasure of watching Ryan (from Flagstaff) ride this unbelievable skinny, roll down some unimaginable turn onto another off cambre shelf making the long rolling return back to safety. Wow. Disbelief.

Video proof, you ask? raisingarizona has it and I can't wait to see it. Of course, I got to see it happen with my own eyes today. UNBELIEVABLE
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Sounds way cool, zul, can't wait to see it!! The white line? The red rock exposed throughout Sedona is comprised of the Supai Formation, Permian in age (about 280 to 230 million years ago). The Supai is representative of sedimentation into a near tidal/deltaic environment (think Mississippi or Nile Delta). The red is from very minor amounts of iron naturally occurring in the sediment; mostly red/oxidized because it was "subaerial" deposition. The white bands are simply layers of fine-grained sandstone that has some slightly different characteristic--different cement, "induration," source of the sand, etc. The Supai formation overlies the Redwall Limestone in Grand Canyon; the limestone is actually gray, but stained red because of rainwater washing Supai mud down the face of the limestone.

TMI? Geology is my background, and I seldom have a chance to be a geo-nerd anymore. Thanks for the soapbox!

Now...about that video, looking forward to seeing it!!
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Just to add to Gila's red rock intel...also represented are the Hermit and Schnebly Hill Formations. Permian in age as well, but a bit younger than the Supai Group. The Hermit FM separates Supai and Schnebly Hill but Gila is correct that the Supai Group formed in a marine and nearshore coastal plain environments. Supai is exposed down by Oak Creek below Midgely Bridge and out by Scheurman Mtn. Ledge-n-Airy is on top of Supai and trails like Sketch and Under the Radar drop down through it. The Hermit marks a big change from the more wet coastal marine conditions at the time of the Supai to river floodplain deposits. Most of Sedona sits on eroding slopes of Hermit mudstones and siltstones. The overlying Schnebly Hill and Coconino Formations are the transition from mostly coastal eolian or wind deposits to an inland ldune field like the Sahara.

Chicken Point is in the Schnebly Hill Formation and I'll venture a guess that the white line or layer that Zul is referring to is the Fort Apache Limestone. For a short time the sea encroached into the area and deposited limestone. It forms a prominent layer in places such as the Merry Go Round. Highline traverses along the bench formed by the more resistant Fort Apache. I believe Hangover also utilizes this layer.

Sorry for rambling. Sedona has some amazing geology. Let's see the vid raisingAZ

bland
    Dang, I didn't think it was quite that unbelievable. It did get my heart rate up and kept me up at night thinking about it though. Raisingarizona saw the line last week and when he showed it to me I thought "why did you have to see that?" That guy sees the most creative lines. He's got a talent for that. Its really not as sketchy as it looks from below. The actual line is pretty simple, the fact that its 200 feet above the ground makes it fun to watch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think I'm waiting to show the footage until my whole winter season edit is done, patience yall. I'm collecting all kinds of visual goodies, I think it will be done by May. Thanks M77R for the compliments, now..........who wants to shred some red this afternoon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rockman, this line is not the FA limestone, it's the very thin white line below there. I thought it might be a calcium deposit? The actual White Line has been ridden quite a bit in the past but I doubt the committing turn facing the death exposure then onto the lower shelf has been ever seriously thought of, I was calling this addition to the White Line Do Or Die. Seems appropriate with the seriousness of consequence. This is getting me fired up, I haven't tried it yet so maybe today?
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 01-22-2011 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    I"ll have a look today if I ride the Hogs but this thread really needs a pic of said horizontal anomaly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok, I can't resist, out of all the angles and shots we got of this line this one is my least favorite so here ya go, a little teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i11k0x_82sY

No mames guey
    Damn!

mtbr member
    Simply, wow!

mtbr member
    Very cool

Kathleen in AZ
    da-ahmmmm!

pedaller
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of this...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Teaser indeed. Well played sir!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Impressive, both in riding and scoping.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Rockman, this line is not the FA limestone, it's the very thin white line below there. I thought it might be a calcium deposit? The actual White Line has been ridden quite a bit in the past but I doubt the committing turn facing the death exposure then onto the lower shelf has been ever seriously thought of, I was calling this addition to the White Line Do Or Die. Seems appropriate with the seriousness of consequence. This is getting me fired up, I haven't tried it yet so maybe today?

The selfish and practical side of me wants you to will the raw footage to someone first.

Awesome video and riding. Even if I had the skill, can't say I'd hang it out there quite that far these days. Hats off and kudos.

mtbr member
    Yep, I can see that from your vid. It's probably just a horizon that has a bit more quartz cement and less calcite and groundwater leached out the red, oxide minerals. Maybe, just a guess but a similar, more resistant layer on below Damifino Saddle makes the climb rideable.

"No Clue Crew"
    That's looks awesome !

"Yabut"
    Holy Sh*t.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

banned
    Ok, I can't resist, out of all the angles and shots we got of this line this one is my least favorite so here ya go, a little teaser.

ra:

Since I am a Sedona mountain bike destination marketing pimp, am I allowed to send this teaser clip to the World Class Skinny Ledge Riding (WCSLR) crowd? The diversity of Sedona riding is amazing I look forward to the future video with all the other segments.

I spoke with Annie's owner the other day and he said he was going to try out the Merry Go Round drop you showed previously. Did you nail that section yet?

There is another section of WCSLR called White Line Fever that is located on the west facing wall below the Damifino trail. Bike Doc use to try and get some of the more skilled riders out there to try it out, it might be a spot to get some additional footage.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 01-22-2011 at 11:37 AM.

"No Clue Crew"
    HOLY ****!!!!! That is bad a**!!!!!

drink coffee, ride.
    crazy cats. so your vantage is from the chicken point sitting and admiring the surroundings point - he climbed up from that spot? wow, just wow, that deserves a "super-duper."

oops, re-read, yes above the observation point. crazy killa cool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    ra:

Since I am a Sedona mountain bike destination marketing pimp, am I allowed to send this teaser clip to the World Class Skinny Ledge Riding (WCSLR) crowd? The diversity of Sedona riding is amazing I look forward to the future video with all the other segments.

I spoke with Annie's owner the other day and he said he was going to try out the Merry Go Round drop you showed previously. Did you nail that section yet?

There is another section of WCSLR called White Line Fever that is located on the west facing wall below the Damifino trail. Bike Doc use to try and get some of the more skilled riders out there to try it out, it might be a spot to get some additional footage.

TD
    Not yet, haven't been back but it's good to go. I'm confident it will be sweet. Damn, I find sweet lines and others get to drop em, hehe. Next ride...........

mtbr member

I just threw up a little in my mouth.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    ra:

TD
    Send it anywhere you like, I can't wait to share this segment I'm working on, it takes time and man so much work!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast