Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Charge Cooker Hi

So my friend just picked up a Charge Cooker Hi. Looks like a fairly nice bike. Cant find out much since its from the UK but was hoping someone here can chime in on how it compares to others in the price range. I was thinking one of the Airborne bikes would be a good competitor. I might pick one up for the 29er world.

Charge Cooker Hi 29er ? First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

mtbr member
    I just checked out the Cooker at Performance and really liked it. It's the exact same price as the Goblin when you factor in taxes vs shipping. I've almost hit the buy button on the goblin a few times this week. The components aren't quite up to the goblin, but they are close. The Goblin reviews are everywhere and everyone seems to love it, but I can't go to the store and sit on it! The cooker felt pretty good, and with it I can support the lbs and if I end up not loving it there's Performances great satisfaction guarantee - but there aren't really any reviews to look at. So I'm still,at home going back and forth.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Performance is not a LBS...Walmart of bike shops

mtbr member
    Ok, a store that sells bikes I like that happens to be only 4 miles from my house.

...it was a lot shorter to type lbs.

Sorry to offend.

mtbr member
    Anyways, I went back and did some test riding today, of course I couldn't test a Goblin, but I did stay in the same price range and gave the Specialized Rockhopper Comp ($1,100) a try. The rockhopper was easily about 5lbs lighter, but riding the two back to back I have to say the Cooker was about 10 times as fun. It just felt like an amusement park ride. Fast and sharp, and that steel frame felt so much more comfortable. So much so that I put my money where my mouth is and bought it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    Performance is not a LBS...Walmart of bike shops

Not to get off topic, but if Santa cruz bikes are sold at Sports chalet does that make them dept. store bikes?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Not to get off topic, but if Santa cruz bikes are sold at Sports chalet does that make them dept. store bikes?
    Not to get even more off topic but, do they?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    Not to get even more off topic but, do they?

Mountain Bikes | Santa Cruz, Fuji, Haro, & More - Sport Chalet

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sweet. Have to go check them out. And congrats Dolbydarm on your new bike!

mtbr member
    I smell schill

mtbr member
    I haven't been this excited about a new bike in years.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I, too, smell schill. Dolby: Which Performance Bike in the Valley did you purchase your rig at?

mtbr member
    Sorry to be in the dark, but what is "schill"???

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I, too, smell schill. Dolby: Which Performance Bike in the Valley did you purchase your rig at?
    If you go to performance bikes web site you will see that they do indeed now carry this brand and that model. Must be new.

mtbr member
    They had the one I got and a rigid single speed there, real limited stock, only a couple of the employees really new too much about it.

Still not sure what schill is though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolbydarma View Post
    They had the one I got and a rigid single speed there, real limited stock, only a couple of the employees really new too much about it.

Still not sure what schill is though.
    Corporate Shills from abandonaffluence

mtbr member
    So I'm I Schill for buying a bike that's not all over this forum?

Look up DolbyDarma on YouTube, RCGroups, Helifreak, Jeepforum.com, Freebord community and I'm there too. Not selling anything there either, just gabbing about my stuff and asking others about their stuff.

You guys are kind of paranoid out there. Guess I should of spent more time talking about my Stumpjumper, my Thule Spare me rack and my GoPro and my other more mainstream stuff. You guys really jump all over people who are new to your site huh?

mtbr member
    But if anyone actually wants to talk about the Cooker, I'm all ears.

And to answer the where in the valley question. I live in Colorado Springs CO And bought it at the Performance on So Academy ( Patty and Kelly helped me out). I tested the Rockhopper at Ascent Cycling, about 1/2 mile from my house and Justin helped me out there. When I tested the hopper I got a flat, just thought I would add that gem.

mtbr member
    You guys really jump all over people who are new to your site huh?
    I think you're in the wrong state forum... but anyway , if you're not a schill, great. As to your "welcome" , it's kinda like in the movie "Fight Club" when they made the new guy stand out in front of the house for a few days to see if he could take it.

Can I get you a sandwich or something while you're waiting out there?

Go Speed Racer
    So I'm I Schill for buying a bike that's not all over this forum?

Look up DolbyDarma on YouTube, RCGroups, Helifreak, Jeepforum.com, Freebord community and I'm there too. Not selling anything there either, just gabbing about my stuff and asking others about their stuff.

You guys are kind of paranoid out there. Guess I should of spent more time talking about my Stumpjumper, my Thule Spare me rack and my GoPro and my other more mainstream stuff. You guys really jump all over people who are new to your site huh?
    I say buy what you like, from where you want, and what you can afford. Then get out and ride the heck out of it and enjoy it. I quit worrying about what others think LONG ago!

mtbr member
    Didn't notice the state part, I just searched google for charge cooker mtbr and found this little spot. Like I said, there's not much out there in the forums for this bike.

No thanks on the sandwich, just had eggs with my kiddos.

Props on Fight Club analogy. Love that flick, and no, I'm not selling DVDs either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Didn't notice the state part, I just searched google for charge cooker mtbr and found this little spot. Like I said, there's not much out there in the forums for this bike.

No thanks on the sandwich, just had eggs with my kiddos.

Props on Fight Club analogy. Love that flick, and no, I'm not selling DVDs either.
    AHA! So you're a schill for the egg industry! Don't worry about the "tin foil hat crowd" who think you are a schill.

Hope you like the new bike. Looks like a steel frame, nice!

mtbr member
    Yep - steel frame!

mtbr member

Home at last

Got to bring home the new toy today. The 29er just makes the ol Stumpy look like my kids bike. Cant wait to hit the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charge Cooker Hi-image.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast