Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Scott in Tucson

Chad's excellent adventure

You might have seen any number of Chad's recent posts and thread revivals, looking for trail and connection info for his new bikepacking route out of Phoenix. It's been quite a project, successful only thanks to many good folks here at AZ MTBR.

He is out there riding it right now with one of the most experienced bikepackers out there, Mr. Lee Blackwell. Chad's carrying a SPOT, so we get to follow his progress (or lack thereof!).

Live tracking link: http://trackleaders.com/azsf

He wrote on his blog:

The Cave Creek-Bradshaw Bikepack for next week is still growing with more singletrack. It has 18,000 feet of climbing with ~230 miles and is connecting the following:

T100
    McDowells
    Seven Springs
    Spur Trail
    Maricopa Trail
    New River
    Black Canyon Trail
    Bradshaw Trail
    Lane Mountain Trail

A sweet loop in the Bradshaws might come out of this, one that would allow you to do all of Black Canyon Trail (BCT), head up to Crown King on "singletrack" (used loosely here) and go down the south side of the Bradshaws on a combo of single/double track, loop back around north of Lake Pleasant to your car.
    You can also see the whole route by going to the tracker's map.

Right now they are in the middle of BCT, heading north to Bumble Bee.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

My other ride is your mom
    on the hottest day of the year so far......with BCT especially nasty with the heat for some reason.....ride on!

caninus xerophilous
    Modest studlyness at its finest, Chad and his ilk.

Occidental Tourist
    Sweet! Looks like lunch at Rock Springs.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Occidental Tourist
    Long stop in BCC? Looks like they're up and at em and ready to find out how brutal the Bradshaws can be.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Scott in Tucson
    Yep, there was a break in the SPOT points yesterday afternoon for some reason, but they are wrapping up the BCT and about to roll on to Cleator before climbing big into the Bradshaws. Should be an interesting day to watch...
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Yep, there was a break in the SPOT points yesterday afternoon for some reason, but they are wrapping up the BCT and about to roll on to Cleator before climbing big into the Bradshaws. Should be an interesting day to watch...
    That makes more sense than a long stop for those two. So is Chad borrowing your bike?

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    That makes more sense than a long stop for those two. So is Chad borrowing your bike?
    Yep, we moved most of his parts over to my blue Lev, which I thought had been retired to road bike status, but... she rides again!

Two pics from Chad... the trip must be going well if they were able to score Don Miguel burritos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chad's excellent adventure-photo.jpg  

Chad's excellent adventure-don.jpg  

Scott in Tucson
    Course deviation!

My speculation: they heard from someone locally that the route they intended was covered in snow. Bradshaw Trail goes to 7300' or so. Total guess, though.

Looks like they will drop down through the Swastika mine (?!) and back to the main road into Crown King. I think that mine area might be same one that used to have a race featuring a ride down one of the mine shafts to pick up a gold nugget (gold nugget = time bonus). I think I did that race in 2001 or 2002?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Course deviation!

My speculation: they heard from someone locally that the route they intended was covered in snow. Bradshaw Trail goes to 7300' or so. Total guess, though.

Looks like they will drop down through the Swastika mine (?!) and back to the main road into Crown King. I think that mine area might be same one that used to have a race featuring a ride down one of the mine shafts to pick up a gold nugget (gold nugget = time bonus). I think I did that race in 2001 or 2002?
    I hope they get down to a decent elevation - it's likely to be a cold one up there tonight (and maybe wet). $10 says Chad gets a tall boy at the store in CK.

Scott in Tucson
    Uh oh, bailing back to Cleator... please no broken frames or other mishap!

Occidental Tourist
    Looks like a refuel in Cordes Junct for another night on the BCT. If they want to hit the stuff closer to the valley, turning around was likely a good idea.

caninus xerophilous
    This is awesome. Live coverage and expert commentary. Tour De Chad Number ???

Scott in Tucson
    It's hard to tell exactly what happened from the tracker map, but I did talk to Chad and there were no epic fails, except perhaps in the desire for real food category. After spending all morning on super steep up/down sometimes unrideable roads, Crown King wasn't answering, except to say the General Store closed early, so they bailed back down to I-17, eventually getting a ride and a tour from a local Bumblebee hill billy. Ah, the pull of real food and the cafe!

So they are back camping on BCT, heading back south for New River, where they started. Chad did say that BCT was a bikepacker's dream and that he is psyched to ride it again. Some very impressive trailwork throughout and especially on the northern section.

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    Jeez, you guys are the shiznizzel. Chad'll like that, he's always shizzen sumpin
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The beginning point of that track seems somewhat familiar.

Great adventure Chad!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Occidental Tourist
    It looks like they are at the bottom of LPL getting ready to get wet one last time.
    This was the crossing last weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chad's excellent adventure-aimg_2067.jpg  

Tucson, AZ
    Lee and I are enjoying some beer and good at Roadrunner, 150 miles in 3 days. I'd estimate about 20k of climbing.

Scott in Tucson
    Good ride gents. Sorry to have missed out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Lee and I are enjoying some beer and good at Roadrunner, 150 miles in 3 days. I'd estimate about 20k of climbing.
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought it would be that many miles, good job boys. BCT is an awesome spot to bikepack, especially with all the river xngs for water and having BCC as a pit stop.

Tiff

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    1) Incredible, great job guys!
    2) Do you ever work or just ride?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Tucson, AZ
    I failed on making a ride too hard for my own good. The motto: Crown King or Bust was uttered by Lee at the beginning. Doh!

Some great riding to be had in the Bradshaws. Only wish I could have made it to the top to discover all of it.

Some amazing trail building went into the BCT, especially the northern section near Bumble Bee proper.

Steeeeeeeeep indeed. Lee has a 20x36 on his loaded bike; we had to walk many a section.

The 100-year old Cleator Bar was the highlight of the bail-out.

Loved riding through the "shooting range" section of the southern BCT. The guys had to wait for us to ride through all the stuff that was shot up. We need a few more of these signs out there.

Blissful, sweet ST coupled with some sweet sections

caninus xerophilous
    That is an interesting sagauro stand.

Scott in Tucson
    Sah-weet shots. Jealous.

"Yabut"
    That is Sah-weet, for sure. Good job guys.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast