mtbr member
    Mar 2011

WHICH CELLPHONE Co. IS BEST FOR Az BIKING?

I now have my iphone 4 unlocked; and will be riding Az Late Nov thru March.
    I frequently ride semi remote areas ie Az Trail; Ajo, BCT etc so, in the absence of a sat phone, which Co provides the best (not necessarily the cheapest) coverage? Does anyone recommend a good Sat phone service in Az?
    thanks. TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been very happy with the coverage of Verizon. I do a fair about of 4 wheeling that takes me way out in the middle of nowhere sometimes and I've been pretty amazed where I've gotten signals before.

No experience with satellite phones though.

DC

Give it a crank
    Definitely Verizon or any of the small telcos that use their network.

But if you want coverage on the AZT, bring your sat phone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    M-R; what Sat phone do you use? what plan. thanks. TS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    I've been very happy with the coverage of Verizon. I do a fair about of 4 wheeling that takes me way out in the middle of nowhere sometimes and I've been pretty amazed where I've gotten signals before.
    I've too, had great experience with VZW when biking and four wheeling. Ironically, my boss who had ATT would always ***** about not having service when I did...but IF I didn't get a signal, she would have one bar...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    Why do you need a Sat phone? If you're worried about getting into trouble, get a SPOT. It works where your cell wont, and is a lot cheaper than satellite phone service. SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Woahey's Spot recommendation is solid. We use them a lot for backcountry hikes into or out of river trips in Grand Canyon. I also have a Sat phone and use Globalstar. They're not cheap but you can fine a used phone for $500 or less. I pay a base fee of $50/month and then it's $1/min. Not cheap but not bad either if that's all you got. Service was bad for a number of years after 9/11 but is now better. An Iridium phone is another option. We take both on river trips.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    good question. Lets include the "best" phone as well... for instance which have the best apps or access to strava...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    my verizon access is stupid... When I had access at Kinnikinnick lake, I thought to myself... how in the world is there access out there....
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    What is your current service? What Plan are you on? How long do you typically ride? Do you take frequent stops? Are you opposed to carrying additional battery power? What do you intend to use your phone for? Do you share minutes?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    CO:
    I have used a trac cell phone; with verizon and found it ok, in metro areas; but sketchy in more remote.
    I want a 'phone' mostly for security as either I'm ridin alone; or with another old fart. The SPOT is a good rec.
    I want to be fairly lightweight; ride 3-5 hrs max/day; stops every 1/2 hr; or when lycra flashes.
    thanks
    TS

EDR
    My verizon coverage was very good I thought.

I now have T-Mobile and it's terrible. Don't even have service much of the time in Payson or on the way up there. Pretty much anything outside of (____ insert name of huge metro area) is a crap shoot. I'm on a pre-paid plan though so I wonder if that has anything to do with anything. (like not roaming)

Meatbomb
    I want to be fairly lightweight; ride 3-5 hrs max/day; stops every 1/2 hr; or when lycra flashes.
    thanks
    TS
    Do I really want to know about 'lycra flashes'?

Give it a crank
    My phone plan is the "borrow one now" plan: I sit on the trail until somebody with a Verizon phone tries to ride by and ask to borrow their phone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Do I really want to know about 'lycra flashes'?
    My thought exactly...I'm scared...but curious...
    - Julie Furtado

Meatbomb
    curious might just toss your lunch.

My other ride is your mom
    Verizon for a cell service that excels above all others. SPOT for areas where no cell service can penetrate.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Definitely not T-Mobile!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks all.
    Cheers.
    TS

Pivotal figure
    Verizon AND a waterproof case. Preferably some impact resistance as well. I've been using a Lifeproof case with my iPhone, very happy with that setup.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Huffy Rider
    Verizon just be sure to update your network settings via: SETTINGS >GENERAL > RESET > then select reset network settings. This will update all of your tower locations to your new "home" area. Just a thought.

Brenda

Just Joshin' ya!
    After being a T-Mobile User for 14 years, I thought I could live with the so-so signal and the inability for their towers to penetrate large buildings. I dumped it after not getting a signal in the Scottsdale Osborn Hospital when my son was born and I could barely send text messages to tell my family. Now I have Verizon and I have yet to have a poor signal.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    For those who mention the SPOT, it's a great device if you want your friends to be able to track you and potentially summon help. I would not bet my life on it working however as it has been known to have issues sometimes sending out a signal strong enough. It is not a device that is built to government specs with regards to use as a rescue PLB (personal locator beacon).

If you want something that you can depend your life on, use an actual PLB. I personally use the ACR Artex ResQLink PLB. It works worldwide on the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite constellation which is used by almost every country for SAR activities.

I will probably get a SPOT to use in conjunction with my PLB because my wife likes to know where I'm at while I'm out on a long ride but if I run into an emergency, I will use my PLB to summon help.

mtbr member
    I have been using my AT&T blackberry for my rides and have never had an issue on BCT south of Black Canyon city. I have not gone north of Rock Springs so I don't know from there.

Coverage was ok in Prescott, but it was a little spotty Spruce Mtn trails. Still enough coverage to send emails of my location every 30 minutes or so to my wife.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Whew. Thanks again to all.
    TS