Salty Dog

Cave Creek - Trail 4 - Saturday 11/22

Anybody up for an out and back on Trail 4 on the 22nd? I owe this trail a visit.

Probably meet at north end of Pima near Cave Creek road and car pool from there to the trail head - Feet in Pedals by 0930. Out and back with a dip in the creek near the turn around if the water is friendly.

Takers?
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Salty Dog
    Well damn. I thought I would get at least one sucker by now....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tommy, I was would like to join you but have other stuff going on that day. Another time perhaps?
    Matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    maybe sunday instead, i may even be able to hook up a shuttle (from my supportive wife) from the flat tire bike shop to seven springs. that way we ride down #4 to spur cross down to the shop.

Salty Dog

Too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt
    Tommy, I was would like to join you but have other stuff going on that day. Another time perhaps?
    Matt
    Matt, sorry it won't work for you! Yes, a rain check is issued.

Tommy

mtbr member
    After are beer fest from are sedonuts ride we were talking about this ride soon, maybe this 22nd. Will let ya know.
    JRA

Salty Dog

Can't do Sunday...

Quote Originally Posted by kaolin
    maybe sunday instead, i may even be able to hook up a shuttle (from my supportive wife) from the flat tire bike shop to seven springs. that way we ride down #4 to spur cross down to the shop.
    Sorry Saturday won't work for you, dammit anyway. One of the fine ladies in our group is having a birthday that weekend and we are dragging her out on Saturday, so she can do a 49 mile ride on Sunday. Female logic involved here. Don't ask.

Tommy

Just another half mile...
    Hey Heli, try this Seven Springs LOOP on for size. This loop is a huge adventure epic. Bring your survivor gear, route finding skills and start real early!

Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    After are beer fest from are sedonuts ride we were talking about this ride soon, maybe this 22nd. Will let ya know.

scout
    Sep 2008
    yeah i'd like to tag along.
    just to let ya know, back in sept when it was still a tad warm, the catclaw was the main feature from matty's fork wash to the top of the hill on the lower end of the trail. the trail was so overgrown it was really hard to follow. mainly catclaw and then the prickly pear. makes one look like the guy who fell on t100 (in a thread a while ago). over sixty stiches and comments about mtn lion patterns. but the rest is great!
    btw what's yer idea of out and back?
    sat 22 is good

scout
    Sep 2008
    oh yeah
    cave creek is crawdads like south america has pirhana (sp?)

Salty Dog

The corral?

Quote Originally Posted by ridin ruskie
    yeah i'd like to tag along.
    just to let ya know, back in sept when it was still a tad warm, the catclaw was the main feature from matty's fork wash to the top of the hill on the lower end of the trail. the trail was so overgrown it was really hard to follow. mainly catclaw and then the prickly pear. makes one look like the guy who fell on t100 (in a thread a while ago). over sixty stiches and comments about mtn lion patterns. but the rest is great!
    btw what's yer idea of out and back?
    sat 22 is good
    I think we normally go as far as the corral and then turn back. Not too far past the ponds, based on flow. It's been a couple years since I did this trail so it will take a few minutes of exploring in some places to find the trail, from what I recall. Our first time there was really ugly, but we've become smarter with age.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    im a maybe, i live about a mile from the trailhead at spurcross. I did Trail 4 a few months back all the way to Seven Springs, and it sucked! a two hour ride and then around a seven hour hike-a-bike. So as long as you dont plan on going that far... ill think about it.

Salty Dog
    Grody, I am planning to start the ride from the Cave Creek trailhead area for Trail 4, just north of Seven Springs campground, if that makes sense. I think the spurcross you're talking about is just outside of town, right? I think this trip would be about 7 miles out and then 7 back. Last time I was on it most of it was rideable with some stream crossings and some hike-a-bike on some gnarly singletrack. I hated it the time we rode from the trailhead into town and then shuttled back... yuck...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Grody, I am planning to start the ride from the Cave Creek trailhead area for Trail 4, just north of Seven Springs campground, if that makes sense. I think the spurcross you're talking about is just outside of town, right? I think this trip would be about 7 miles out and then 7 back. Last time I was on it most of it was rideable with some stream crossings and some hike-a-bike on some gnarly singletrack. I hated it the time we rode from the trailhead into town and then shuttled back... yuck...
    Tommy, I dont get on this site much but I saw the Salty dog and had to jump in. This is Dirthead AKA Jack. I have my 21 year old newphew in town this weekend who likes to ride and now drink beer with his old uncle. We are going out to Black Canyon City T H on Sat. We are up for a ride on Sunday and Monday am if anything is on the docket.

Salty Dog

It's Official - Saturday at 0900

Ok, for those who are interested: We are meeting at the north end of Pima where it intersects with Cave Creek Road, at 0900 Saturday morning. The parking lot is actually about 1/8th mile south of Cave Creek Road on the west side of Pima.

It takes 30-40 minutes to drive to the trailhead, and we should be feet in pedals around 10. There are NO amenities on or near the trail so you need to be self supported for the ride. Expect about 7 miles each way, for a total of about 3 - 4 hours ride/walk time. This is a very diversified trail so you can expect simple river cruising through the trees, some rock bashing (elbow pads recommended), and some river crossings that may be through running water.

I hope to see some of you there. I will be in my blue Smart car with the orange Ventana El Rey on the back. (Yes, it looks like I have a car as a spare for my Ventana).

scout
    Sep 2008
    hey salty dog!!
    i'll meet yooz at the t.h. north of 7springs. i'll be expecting to ride ,at your request , by 10 am.
    (or i'll have to make do with primative visual aids as they say in the ad biz)

Salty Dog

ruskie - you have a pm

Quote Originally Posted by ridin ruskie
    hey salty dog!!
    i'll meet yooz at the t.h. north of 7springs. i'll be expecting to ride ,at your request , by 10 am.
    (or i'll have to make do with primative visual aids as they say in the ad biz)
    Hey Ruskie, check the pm I just sent you.

Tommy