oh Lucky me

Cave Creek / Carefree

was wondering if anyone knew of riding (outside the CaveCreek Rec Area) in the Cave Creek / Carefree area. Kind of more towards where "The Boulders" are? I was driving up through there today and was thinking wow...this would be fun.

Any ideas?

...ive checked the trail guide and only found stuff in Cave Creek Rec Area...
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

livin' the dream......
    Most, if not all land around the Boulders (resort area) is private from what I can tell. Your options are Cave Creek Park, Spur Cross, Pima Dynamite or going up toward 7 Springs and hitting some of the trail heads on the Tonto NF.

mtbr member
    You can also ride in the Cave Buttes(?) Dam area, which is bounded by Tatum, Carefree Highway, Norterra Pkwy & Happy Valley. Desert Riding, but plenty of miles to log.

Banana Split Anyone?
    You can ride at Seven Springs now. The trails have not been improved for a while since the fire but I rode it 2 weeks ago. You just go north on CC road till you hit FR24 and head north. It's only 40 miles from Phoenix. Just google seven spring campground.
    "I do not think. Therefore I might not be."

Trail Monger
    Is Penacle Peak mtn possilbe to ride??? I saw some pic of bikes there and thought kool. I guess the riding is real big there in scottydale. The dudes in Penacle Peak cyclerly told me about the Go John TH in Cave Creek. The mentioned the hike-a-bike territory. Also they have maps to take with you. You could ask about Cave Creek/Carefree riding opportunities. Take care ...Brian

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    Is Penacle Peak mtn possilbe to ride??? I saw some pic of bikes there and thought kool. I guess the riding is real big there in scottydale. The dudes in Penacle Peak cyclerly told me about the Go John TH in Cave Creek. The mentioned the hike-a-bike territory. Also they have maps to take with you. You could ask about Cave Creek/Carefree riding opportunities. Take care ...Brian

Pinnacle Peak is not open to mountain bikes. Although I would love to try and climb that first .5 of that trail.

Quote Originally Posted by spanglin
    You can ride at Seven Springs now. The trails have not been improved for a while since the fire but I rode it 2 weeks ago. You just go north on CC road till you hit FR24 and head north. It's only 40 miles from Phoenix. Just google seven spring campground.
    Are these trails worth doing? Can you give any details?

oh Lucky me
    thanks for the reply's im goin to do some exploring on google maps and try to build a ride for possibly this weekend.

maybe a little exploratory ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    thanks for the reply's im goin to do some exploring on google maps and try to build a ride for possibly this weekend.

maybe a little exploratory ride...
    The guys at Flat Tire Bikes in Cave Creek usually host a ride from the shop into the Cave Creek Regional Park. From there they sometimes hit Spur Cross and other times some other trails that I don't know the names of. Anyhow, they can give you a good idea of where to ride out there.

mtbr member
    From N. Cave Creek Rd. you can access a nice singletrack from the end of E. Surrey Dr. This eventually connects to the Go John Trail. So you can do a lollipop of sorts w/ Overton and Go John in the park and then back.

I rode Sprur Cross towards Cave Creek Regional Park and tried to connect to Overton or Go John but got lost. There's a myriad of roads and moto trails out there. And the relatively new section of trail from Spur Cross which I guess is part of the Maricopa Trail isn't all that great. Not very singletrack-like; more ATV-like or hiker's two-abreast. Which is what they did to much of Overton and Go-John. Sanitized in the worst way although the back side is still pretty nice.

My in-laws live in the Boulders and I've poked around plenty. The Dynamite stuff is about the best that's close. Trail #4 from Seven Springs used to be a fine trail to a swimming hole but I haven't ridden it since the fire. The rest of the stuff in that area is serious adventure riding. There's some good info here
    cave creek advise
    7 springs-trail 4 condition?

mtbr member
    On Saturday a buddy and I rode up around CC Park, the Maricopa Trail, and Spur Cross. We started at the Go John trailhead and made about a 6 mile loop by taking the Slate Trail out of the park then looping back around to the Go John Trail. We then took took the Go John Trail to the Maricopa Trail and connected to Spur Cross and rode all the way to the Spur Cross trailhead. It's not all jeep road between CC Park and Spur Cross but I would guess there is about 4-5 miles of jeep road plus some singletrack between the two parks. We didn't see another mountain biker during our entire ride.

By the time it was all said and done the GPS showed about 26 miles total . If you just wanted to do an out and back from the Go John trailhead to the Spur Cross trailhead it would be about 20 miles.

I may find myself back out there next weekend if anyone is interested.

oh Lucky me
    chrisnei, i may be out on Sunday AM. Saturday is booked. i was thinking Go John up towards Maricopa Trail then onto Spur cross to the Tortuga/Dragonfly trailheads then probably turn around and head back to the CC park and hit overton to the parking area...am thinking somewhere in the range of roughly 18-20 miles but well see how it goes. ill be the fat slow guy on a silver/gray IronHorse

Chunky Monkey

CC-Spur Cross And Others

Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    From N. Cave Creek Rd. you can access a nice singletrack from the end of E. Surrey Dr. This eventually connects to the Go John Trail. So you can do a lollipop of sorts w/ Overton and Go John in the park and then back.

I rode Sprur Cross towards Cave Creek Regional Park and tried to connect to Overton or Go John but got lost. There's a myriad of roads and moto trails out there. And the relatively new section of trail from Spur Cross which I guess is part of the Maricopa Trail isn't all that great. Not very singletrack-like; more ATV-like or hiker's two-abreast. Which is what they did to much of Overton and Go-John. Sanitized in the worst way although the back side is still pretty nice.

My in-laws live in the Boulders and I've poked around plenty. The Dynamite stuff is about the best that's close. Trail #4 from Seven Springs used to be a fine trail to a swimming hole but I haven't ridden it since the fire. The rest of the stuff in that area is serious adventure riding. There's some good info here
    cave creek advise
    7 springs-trail 4 condition?

RM,

Check your PMs.

Thx.
    John

Trail Monger
    Anyone pay attention to the Union Hills Loop mentioned in the Cosmic Ray' book? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Hmm. Where does that go? Isn't Union Hills south of Carefree & East of Norterra Pkway?

Trail Monger
    According to the book it is across the street from Southwest Bike. That is Tatum and Cave Creek area. I saw a library or something there. 21mi loop around the dry dam and rock pit.

oh Lucky me
    21 mile loop? where is this? cave creek & tatum?

Trail Monger
    My Cosmic Ray trail book is out on loan. They call it the Union Hills Loop. It was across from the bike store on Tatum. The trail is probably very boring by most trail standards. But it is long enough to XC.

Chunky Monkey

The Old Spokesman Loop

21 mile loop? where is this? cave creek & tatum?
    It be here.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/6792543

A couple of us went out about a week ago. Some of the single track has been dozed into double track, looks like they are surveying to bring Jomax in from I-17. All the raw bedrock behind the damn has been filled in. There dozens of other trails out there but nothing very technical, just good for a ride and exploring.

Any ride is good ride at my age....

Thx.
    John

BTW, check Dale's site out the guy is a unreal rider and a great guy.

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/index.php?cat=10
    Last edited by circusubet; 06-15-2009 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    My Cosmic Ray trail book is out on loan. They call it the Union Hills Loop. It was across from the bike store on Tatum. The trail is probably very boring by most trail standards. But it is long enough to XC.
    Does anybody have info on how to access this Union Hills trail from the West. Sat, 23rd Ave, 7th St or Happy Valley?

mtbr member
    chrisnei, i may be out on Sunday AM. Saturday is booked. i was thinking Go John up towards Maricopa Trail then onto Spur cross to the Tortuga/Dragonfly trailheads then probably turn around and head back to the CC park and hit overton to the parking area...am thinking somewhere in the range of roughly 18-20 miles but well see how it goes. ill be the fat slow guy on a silver/gray IronHorse
    Exodus, I just sent you a PM.

oh Lucky me
    oh sweet....its right by that RC airfield...i know where that is i was always wondering what was out there...it looks pretty tame but enough to get out a stretch atleast...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/6792543

Some of the single track has been dozed into double track, looks like they are surveying to bring Jomax in from I-17.
    Anyone have any info as to where and when Jomax (or others: Lone Mtn, etc) are going to cut through that land trust are north of Cave Buttes Dam? I was looking for some transportation maps that show where it is going to cut through and when it is planned to happen. If its in the near future, I better get out ther eand ride before it becomes suburbia.

oh Lucky me
    its already 1/2 way there....thats just about the only plot of land left in that area that doesnt have a house sittin on it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ride in that area all the time - it's called Union Hills in the Cosmic Ray book. It is most excellent for night riding. State Trust Land access permit is required.

oh Lucky me

ok. Cave Creek Rec Area first impressions:

1. the parking areas are really nice
    2. the picnic areas are really nice
    3. the paved area is layed out well and trailheads are easy to find
    4. Go John Trail SUCKS @$$!!!!
    5. i am not going back until the winter....

my wife surprised me on Sunday with a breakfast from my little one and then she said, "Go Ride" well....im not one to argue so, i suited up, loaded up, stopped at the gas station, and took off. decided to hit up the cave creek area since i havent been there...etc.etc..

so i arrive, pay my $6 entry fee, go find a place to park, unload, check the bike, get on get going. i stop at the GJ trailhead and check the map (even though i had one in my pocket) to check things over. as i start going, (i though i was going in a counter clockwise rotation around GJ, turns out i went in a clockwise) there is a gradual climb right from the get go. then that turns into unrideable (for me) steep switchbacks. not a big deal, i get off and start hiking. the views are awesome, its not too hot (*yet*) im thinking cool...whatever...i made it to the top, stopped at the bench drank some water...just relaxed after my pretty long hike. and as i looked over the otherside of the mountain, all i could see was nice flowing downhill stuff...looked like alot of fun, and it was for like 1/2 a mile. i then stopped at the Overton trail head. since i had thought that i was riding in a counter clockwise rotation, i was shocked to see that i had come to the overton trailhead already. so i pulled my gps out, checked my path against the map, got my bearings and realized im going clockwise...thinking no big deal, this trail is nice it doesnt matter which direction i pull it. so i ride a bit more, and then i run into he!!. litterally there was 3 miles (according to my cycle computer) of walking, and climbing and frustration, and heat..i said W.T.F. so many times when i got to the "rock crawl break your ankle and hope you die of heat exhaustion" zone im sure the coyote that was checking me out for like 30 minutes thought i was some trucker or somethin...anyways so after my 3 mile hike, i get riding again, thinking okay, theres not much of the trail left, how hard could it be to ride out of here...little did i know, it was very hard. up up up up up up up up the trail did not stop going up...it was somewhat gradual, but i can only do this for soo long, and ontop of that, i was f%%king tired from all the walking and i didnt even want to be out there anymore...so off the bike again hiking hiking hiking FINALLY after an hour of going up, i finally turn the corner and a trail runner says "Its all downhill from here" and i can see that...im like...FINALLY! so i get on and get the f##k off the mountain and ended up taking go john > jasper > slate trail to my vehicle.

so after this...my question to the folks who have ridden like overton and go john and slate and all that....did i take the sh!ttiest trail in the park? and is overton and claymine and slate all more rideable than the he!! i put myself through on Sunday?

mtbr member

Good to know. I would be interested in getting the details from the folks who ride this in the other direction as well. I remember trying to ride this a long time ago (Clockwise). I remember I did a bunch of hiking and not a lot of biking, but its very vague. I definitely went clockwise, but I think I only hit part of GJ. I came in on the West Boundary and perhaps rode part of Overton?

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Good to know. I would be interested in getting the details from the folks who ride this in the other direction as well. I remember trying to ride this a long time ago (Clockwise). I remember I did a bunch of hiking and not a lot of biking, but its very vague. I definitely went clockwise, but I think I only hit part of GJ. I came in on the West Boundary and perhaps rode part of Overton?

yeah that would make sense, Overton seems to "flow" into Go John (would have to make a 180 turn to hit the other way) if you came into GoJohn from Overton, then we went the same direction...not fun

mtbr member

my wife surprised me on Sunday with a breakfast from my little one and then she said, "Go Ride" well....im not one to argue so, i suited up, loaded up, stopped at the gas station, and took off. decided to hit up the cave creek area since i havent been there...etc.etc..

so i arrive, pay my $6 entry fee, go find a place to park, unload, check the bike, get on get going. i stop at the GJ trailhead and check the map (even though i had one in my pocket) to check things over. as i start going, (i though i was going in a counter clockwise rotation around GJ, turns out i went in a clockwise) there is a gradual climb right from the get go. then that turns into unrideable (for me) steep switchbacks. not a big deal, i get off and start hiking. the views are awesome, its not too hot (*yet*) im thinking cool...whatever...i made it to the top, stopped at the bench drank some water...just relaxed after my pretty long hike. and as i looked over the otherside of the mountain, all i could see was nice flowing downhill stuff...looked like alot of fun, and it was for like 1/2 a mile. i then stopped at the Overton trail head. since i had thought that i was riding in a counter clockwise rotation, i was shocked to see that i had come to the overton trailhead already. so i pulled my gps out, checked my path against the map, got my bearings and realized im going clockwise...thinking no big deal, this trail is nice it doesnt matter which direction i pull it. so i ride a bit more, and then i run into he!!. litterally there was 3 miles (according to my cycle computer) of walking, and climbing and frustration, and heat..i said W.T.F. so many times when i got to the "rock crawl break your ankle and hope you die of heat exhaustion" zone im sure the coyote that was checking me out for like 30 minutes thought i was some trucker or somethin...anyways so after my 3 mile hike, i get riding again, thinking okay, theres not much of the trail left, how hard could it be to ride out of here...little did i know, it was very hard. up up up up up up up up the trail did not stop going up...it was somewhat gradual, but i can only do this for soo long, and ontop of that, i was f%%king tired from all the walking and i didnt even want to be out there anymore...so off the bike again hiking hiking hiking FINALLY after an hour of going up, i finally turn the corner and a trail runner says "Its all downhill from here" and i can see that...im like...FINALLY! so i get on and get the f##k off the mountain and ended up taking go john > jasper > slate trail to my vehicle.

so after this...my question to the folks who have ridden like overton and go john and slate and all that....did i take the sh!ttiest trail in the park? and is overton and claymine and slate all more rideable than the he!! i put myself through on Sunday?
    Exodus, sorry to hear your ride wasn't any fun. You definitely should have taken it counter clockwise. If taken counter clockwise the initial climb isn't quite as steep and you don't have any switchbacks to deal with. There is also a steep rockgarden that, if you go counter clockwise, it's mostly rideable downhill but in the direction you went it's a really tough hike a bike up that whole section. Either way you ride Go John you'll start off with a mile long climb and there are some challenging tech features, many that I used to walk, but after riding Go John for a while it's made me a better rider and now there are maybe three areas where I need to get off the bike and hike for a short time.

There are several other trails that connect to CC Park that don't show up on the map (at least not the one that I have) that are less challenging where you can really add on the mileage.

CCP definitely isn't my favorite ride in the valley but it's convenient for me and I've found that between Go John, Slate, Overton, Maricopa, and Spur Cross trails in the area I can get a good ride in.

Did this experience sour you on making a ride to Spur Cross?

oh Lucky me
    well now that i know i should have gone counter clockwise, i would probably be willing to give it another go

that rock garden you are talking about....i must have had the dirtiest mouth in the whole park while i was walking up that...lol, i think the coyote that was perched up on the hill across the small valley watching me was laughing his little hairy @$$ off ... haha

i do think that if i came in counter clockwise, the section right before the rock garden (down in the wash) would have been A-LOT of fun to hit going really fast

Chunky Monkey

Cloud and Flume

3rd try...

Ed said:

You cracked me up on this one. I had just started MT biking in '94 and this was my first ride, way before they smoothed out the trails. The way I described it was ," The trail is 5.38 miles and I rode .38 of it." I believe that your description is much better that mine. I still huff and hike some of GJ and Overton, because I am old and slow. BTW up and down Slate is a hoot.

Thx.
    John
    Last edited by circusubet; 06-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Trail Monger
    Wow,
    I always wondered what going the opposite direction would be like. The climb going the other direction is easier. The tech features seem possible in both directions. Also the rock garden/waterfall is only ridable going counter-clockwise(down). I hate the part of climbing on the backside of the switches. But... The reward is bombing down the switches going 30mph. That is why we ride is'nt it???? Sorry you had it so ruff dude, keep training. The weather is only getting hotter.... Brian
    Last edited by brilog; 06-22-2009 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Union Hills from the West

Does anybody have info on how to access this Union Hills trail from the West. Sat, 23rd Ave, 7th St or Happy Valley?
    You can go to 7th Street just south of Happy Valley to the powerlines. You can take a trail that heads northeast from the powerlines through some hills, or take the power line road due east and then head north when you see a major dirt road. This will drop you off just west of the Damm. This is mostly state trust land, but some of it is flood control district.

Google earth is your friend.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=alterk]Bike_Muchacho - Does anybody have info on how to access this Union Hills trail from the West. Sat, 23rd Ave, 7th St or Happy Valley?

Alterk - You can go to 7th Street just south of Happy Valley to the powerlines. You can take a trail that heads northeast from the powerlines through some hills, or take the power line road due east and then head north when you see a major dirt road. This will drop you off just west of the Damm. This is mostly state trust land, but some of it is flood control district.QUOTE]

Fantastic! So just to confirm. If I am going east on Happy Valley, I go around the corner and am now heading south on 7th street. The Power Line entrance is on the east side just a little south of the curb? I saw that access, but I always worry I'm going to run into a dead end at the dam or the quarry. Thanks, I'll check it out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    well now that i know i should have gone counter clockwise, i would probably be willing to give it another go

that rock garden you are talking about....i must have had the dirtiest mouth in the whole park while i was walking up that...lol, i think the coyote that was perched up on the hill across the small valley watching me was laughing his little hairy @$$ off ... haha

i do think that if i came in counter clockwise, the section right before the rock garden (down in the wash) would have been A-LOT of fun to hit going really fast
    Exodus11, come on down to the Flat Tire bike shop sunday morning group ride one of these weekends. CC park really isnt that bad of riding, you just have to know how to connect it all. Go John is totally ride-able going clockwise and the same going counter-clockwise (The really rocky uphill is sometimes ride-able). We would be happy to show you and anyone else around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

You got it.

Just south of Happy Valley on 7th is where you pick up the power lines. I have turned north at 4 different places off of the power lines to get to the Union Hills area. If you take the power lines almost to Cave Creek road it is a serious climb (for me that means hike) over the ridge, but you end up just west of the RC Airfield.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alterk
    Just south of Happy Valley on 7th is where you pick up the power lines. I have turned north at 4 different places off of the power lines to get to the Union Hills area. If you take the power lines almost to Cave Creek road it is a serious climb (for me that means hike) over the ridge, but you end up just west of the RC Airfield.
    I [tried to] attached a Google Earth KML route file. Let me know if I interpretted your directions correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

oh Lucky me
    thanks grody!

what time do you all usually leave?

livin' the dream......
    I rode out there once last winter and it was pretty cool. I rode up the big climb out of the parking lot up through the switch backs and then down the super smoothy stuff on the backside of GJ.

This trail is like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, meaning you get the super buffed part and then the unimproved part. I liked both but recall the HAB section going a really steep and very rocky section like others described.

I think it is a cool loop and need to go back and add some more to it. Interested in the group rides out of Flat Tire.........

mtbr member
    There is a night ride tonight at 7pm riding to cave creek park and back. at the end of Surry rd, west of cave creek rd.

Chunky Monkey

Surry

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider
    There is a night ride tonight at 7pm riding to cave creek park and back. at the end of Surry rd, west of cave creek rd.
    You gonna be there?

Thx.
    John

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Flat Tire Bike Shop Ride

For those of you out there who are interested in a group ride that tours the surrounding area we meet at the shop at 7am on Sundays. I know we should leave earlier because of the heat but sunday is my only day "off" and 7 is early for me! We ride from the shop to Cave Creek Park and then connect to Spur Cross Conservation Area via the Maricopa Trail. Then depending how the riders are feeling we add on some un-named horse trails to find our way back to the shop. The ride is approximately 20 miles and is a no drop ride, meaning we stop and wait at all turn offs on the trail system. If the riders are feeling really good and want to kill it I have a 28 mile version that has just under 5000 ft of climbing......you won't be mowing the lawn after this Sunday ride!! Call the shop at 480-488-5261 for more info and the address to google map it is 6149 E. Cave Creek Rd.

later,
    kaolin
    Increasing the peace, one bike at a time.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Flat Tire Bike Shop Ride

For those of you out there who are interested in a group ride that tours the surrounding area we meet at the shop at 7am on Sundays. I know we should leave earlier because of the heat but sunday is my only day "off" and 7 is early for me! We ride from the shop to Cave Creek Park and then connect to Spur Cross Conservation Area via the Maricopa Trail. Then depending how the riders are feeling we add on some un-named horse trails to find our way back to the shop. The ride is approximately 20 miles and is a no drop ride, meaning we stop and wait at all turn offs on the trail system. If the riders are feeling really good and want to kill it I have a 28 mile version that has just under 5000 ft of climbing......you won't be mowing the lawn after this Sunday ride!! Call the shop at 480-488-5261 for more info and the address to google map it is 6149 E. Cave Creek Rd.

later,
    kaolin
    Increasing the peace, one bike at a time.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I [tried to] attached a Google Earth KML route file. Let me know if I interpretted your directions correctly.
    That is almost exactly the route I took, I didn't get that close to the dam though. I took one of the trails that splits off of your route to the west just before getting to the dam. I may try your route next time I am out there.

mtbr member
    While we're exploring this area, here's a potential route through the Cave Buttes Dam area (Happy Valley to Cave Creek - Google Earth KML file) that I have been thinking about trying, but haven't had the chance. It cuts through the Union Hills Mountains, which might prove interesting. At this point its just a potential route from looking at Google Earth. Don't know how viable it actually is. If anyone gets a chance to try it out, or has rode parts of it, insight would be great.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    You gonna be there?

Thx.
    John

No couldn't make it out still doing work on the Ranch

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by kaolin

later,
    kaolin
    Great info. Out of town this weekend, but interested in a future ride.

oh Lucky me
    i -might- be able to make it sunday...depends if i can find time to get some new tires and check over my bike...

Chunky Monkey

Flat Tire

i -might- be able to make it sunday...depends if i can find time to get some new tires and check over my bike...
    Throw some biz to this shop, GREAT guys and mechanics. good vibe.

Thx.
    John

Trail Monger
    Does the Flat Tire have tools? I checked the website and they seem to advertise everything except tools. Just curious. I am planning to ride Go John train counterclockwise Sun (6-28) at 5:00am sharp.

Chunky Monkey

Tools

Does the Flat Tire have tools? I checked the website and they seem to advertise everything except tools. Just curious. I am planning to ride Go John train counterclockwise Sun (6-28) at 5:00am sharp.
    B,

They have some, call'em.

Thx.
    John

mtbr member
    Go John trail tonight at 7pm riding to the top to watch the Cave Creek fire works show. Thats right from the top of Go John trail at night so bring some beer and a snack see you at the top fire works show starts at 830ish

Members who have read this thread: 1