mtbr member

Carr Lake Trails on the Rim info?

A friend and myself are heading up to Carr lake tomorrow, Wednesday to escape the the heat for the day! Has anyone been up there this year and what conditions of the trails, dead fall? I appreciate any feedback you might have....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram-On View Post
    A friend and myself are heading up to Carr lake tomorrow, Wednesday to escape the the heat for the day! Has anyone been up there this year and what conditions of the trails, dead fall? I appreciate any feedback you might have....
    I rode the Carr system over Memorial weekend. The trails are fine shape but are not well marked at all. Check out all the trails up top in that area, don't just drive to the Carr trailhead. Park in the first lot to your right up top and ride trail to the Carr system...Get a map for sure. If you are riding below the rim on Trail 260, Military Sinkhole, Highline, etc...you will run into some dead fall and erosion.

mtbr member
    Thx,azokie...good to know, I did call the Apache Ranger station, and they said they haven't had any trail work on this system of trails this year. We'll probably ride the Rim trail into Carr lake trail system. I'm familiar with these trail's and have maps...I just haven't been there in a couple of years! Thanks for the prompt feedback and the tip about riding the rim and not starting at the trail head. If I remember right theirs not a lot of mileage in Carr Lake trails itself!

mtbr member
    Thanks for asking the question- and let me know how it goes. I am camping up near there this weekend and doing some riding!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram-On View Post
    Thx,azokie...good to know, I did call the Apache Ranger station, and they said they haven't had any trail work on this system of trails this year. We'll probably ride the Rim trail into Carr lake trail system. I'm familiar with these trail's and have maps...I just haven't been there in a couple of years! Thanks for the prompt feedback and the tip about riding the rim and not starting at the trail head. If I remember right theirs not a lot of mileage in Carr Lake trails itself!
    You are correct, there is not a lot of milage in the Carr System, so the more single track you can catch along the rim the better. You might even want to loop around Woods Canyon Lake, mostly rideable with a tiny bit of HAB as I remember. Have Fun!

mtbr member

Carr Lake Trails on the Rim info?

I tried to find either a gpx or a great map- will the shop up in payson have the map at least?

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Three of us had a fun time, exploring some different options. We took Carr lake loop CC, scared up a small group of Elk at the top of the loop, came down the General Crook tr. we did run into a few dead fall trees! We went up Aspen tr., rode up to the Rim, cut across 291...probably the hardest section through rocks! Very fun ride, and a nice change of scenery very green. It's all easy stuff, but the almost 8000 ft of altitude for us low-landers make it seem like we logged more miles than we actually did! You can get maps at the Apache Ranger station, they had a couple of maps at the trail head, and also the (camp host) at the camp grounds usually has maps! Here's a short video I did a couple of years ago https://vimeo.com/12536633

mtbr member
    Here's a link to maps and some info Carr Lake System

mtbr member
    For anyone thinking about going-you should! I camped this weekend on FR9354 (free, marked, unimproved sites) and it was less than 1/2 a mile to the top end gate to find the trail. There is lots of loose hand-ball size rock, some silty sections and on General Crook Tr. where it cuts through, the trail kind of disappears. GPS highly recommended in conjunction with a quality, real map. All I had was the map the FS gives you with some great notes from Nick at Bicycle Adventurers in Payson. The nice thing is, you cannot get too lost as you are bordered by FR and rim's edge. I rode alone, and came across one buck that I would guess was at least 6 point/500 pounds and then a herd of doe's with fawns later on that ran parallel to my trail for about 600 yards only 50 feet away-that was effin' awesome! Next time I plan to shuttle Gen. Crook from end to end, dive off the rim on Military or Drew and explore some more. Thanks to everyone in this thread and Bicycle Adventurers for all thier help.

"Uppercase with a space"