The Next 100 Miler

Carbon durability in AZ chunk?

Wondering how well carbon frames hold up to the rock and chunk we spend so much time in? After 5 months my SC Solo aluminum frame is showing more paint chips than I would expect. It even has a small dent in the down tube and I'm not and over aggressive rider.

I've thought about going to a more XC carbon bike (Pivot 429), but wondering about durability?

Ahhh the pain....
    I'm curious as well. Obviously carbon takes impact really well and most impact likely areas are reinforced (ie, downtube), but I think it all depends on the force, and how "pointy" the object is that strikes it. When i had some conversations with an LBS on a carbon frame I was considering, he said that the warranty did not cover crash damage and that he had seen some of those here in Phx.
    I love the idea of dropping about a pound off my frame, but I currently ride a Ti frame and it takes abuse pretty well. Hate to drop a load on a carbon machine only to crack it!
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

SCRUBDUNKER
    I crashed my Tallboy a lot when I was first starting out. Still hanging tough. It's more than two years old now.

As well, I have a friend who is very aggressive on some Chinese carbon rims and those have taken some amazing hits that would have dented an aluminum rim.

mtbr member
    Some have a kevlar patch on a downtube.

mtbr member
    whatever you do, don't demo a carbon bike... you'll end up buying one like me...

Much more comfortable ride than my thin walled aluminum frame. Thicker walled aluminum frames (and steel frames) absorb the bumps really well too, they are just heavier than carbon... I ride hardtails, so I really notice what my frame is made of...

I lost about 1.5 lbs off my bike by going carbon but its more than just the weight, its the ride too... And my used Scott carbon was the same price I paid for my thin walled aluminum bike...

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    whatever you do, don't demo a carbon bike... you'll end up buying one like me...

Much more comfortable ride than my thin walled aluminum frame. Thicker walled aluminum frames (and steel frames) absorb the bumps really well too, they are just heavier than carbon... I ride hardtails, so I really notice what my frame is made of...

I lost about 1.5 lbs off my bike by going carbon but its more than just the weight, its the ride too... And my used Scott carbon was the same price I paid for my thin walled aluminum bike...
    Yeah in general, stay away from demo's if you don't already plan on buying a new bike.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

SCRUBDUNKER
    I should also mention, perhaps more importantly - I ride a carbon fork out here. It's adorned with Randy's No Shox stickers which protects it with an otherworldly aura of coolness and exclusivity, but it's held up so far.

Everything is more comfortable than aluminum. I loved the speed and responsiveness of my Cannondale 1FG back in the day - but comfortable it was not.

I've since gone with titanium and am quite pleased with the ride, weight, and durability.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Everything is more comfortable than aluminum. I loved the speed and responsiveness of my Cannondale 1FG back in the day - but comfortable it was not.

I've since gone with titanium and am quite pleased with the ride, weight, and durability.
    I've come to learn firsthand that material selection is but one of the important factors regarding the feel of a frame. My new aluminum road bike rides so much nicer than the Ti road bike I replaced. I was completely shocked by this. I even rode the new AL bike with the exact same wheels and tires from the Ti bike, and the difference was immediate and huge.

Give it a crank
    Some of the hits from rocks my aluminum and steel bikes have taken would have destroyed a carbon frame. They only way I'd ride carbon out here is with a decent shield on the down tube like metalaficionado suggested. I know riders who sold their carbon bikes after a only few months because they though they would never hold up to our trails.

mtbr member

I don't know. I demoed Pivot LES in McDowell on the Long Loop few weeks back and was not impressed. I still prefer my cheap and noodly chinese ti frame (motobecane). It wasn't just some random demo, I researched the LES for months - everything looked great on paper - geo, weight, quality etc. The components on it were XTR...

I just don't get carbon hype, maybe I am just spoiled by my titanium frame/seatpost and its lively but complaint ride.

and the weight difference is just not worth the price, 400-500 grams? 200-300 grams off the wheel/tire combo makes a bigger difference for a lot less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I don't know. I demoed Pivot LES in McDowell on the Long Loop few weeks back and was not impressed. I still prefer my cheap and noodly chinese ti frame (motobecane). It wasn't just some random demo, I researched the LES for months - everything looked great on paper - geo, weight, quality etc. The components on it were XTR...

I just don't get carbon hype, maybe I am just spoiled by my titanium frame/seatpost and its lively but complaint ride.

and the weight difference is just not worth the price, 400-500 grams? 200-300 grams off the wheel/tire combo makes a bigger difference for a lot less.
    Thats interesting... was that demo for a FS ? I demo'ed a $5000 hardtail carbon Niner in Sedona and I was blown away... My Scott (that I just bought) isn't as nice as the Niner but still much more comfortable thatn my thin walled aluminum stumpjumper...

I never rode titanium so I can't have an opinion on it... Ill take your word for it however... Maybe that is the next demo I should avoid... titanium

mtbr member
    Still waiting to hear from someone on the board that has actually chipped/cracked/broken a carbon frame from kicking up a rock...

mtbr member
    I switched to carbon in 2008. Wouldn't even consider changing until technology changes something. The feel, the lateral stiffness is unreal. For my B-day my wifey bought me a 2013 Roubaix S-Works road bike 14.6# with speed-play pedals. The difference between it and my Litespeed Ti road bike is bigger than day and night.

The new 14' World Cups will change the rigid bike xc racing world forever.

I suppose I have bought into the "S" carbon Kool-Aid but they have proven to me that, Specialized transfers more rotational energy into forward movement than other brands. Other carbon bikes included. Their business practices are theirs, I'm a cyclist.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

The Next 100 Miler
    Thats interesting... was that demo for a FS ?
    The Pivot Les is a hard tail.

Is anyone building a ti full suspension XC bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    The Pivot Les is a hard tail.

Is anyone building a ti full suspension XC bike?
    moots and titus

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    I switched to carbon in 2008. Wouldn't even consider changing until technology changes something. The feel, the lateral stiffness is unreal. For my B-day my wifey bought me a 2013 Roubaix S-Works road bike 14.6# with speed-play pedals. The difference between it and my Litespeed Ti road bike is bigger than day and night.

The new 14' World Cups will change the rigid bike xc racing world forever.

I suppose I have bought into the "S" carbon Kool-Aid but they have proven to me that, Specialized transfers more rotational energy into forward movement than other brands. Other carbon bikes included. Their business practices are theirs, I'm a cyclist.

Are you prepared to speak more on this, because I'd love to see the data behind this:

"Specialized transfers more rotational energy into forward movement than other brands."

I'm sure those bikes are great, stiff yet compliant yadda yadda yadda. But why would you think that the new S-Works you have is more efficient at moving you forward than any one of the other many great options available is freaking beyond me. Let's just pick two popular ones for starters, the similar Cannondale Synapse, and maybe the BH SuperLite. How exactly do you rationalize that your Roubaix transfers more of your effort into forward motion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Are you prepared to speak more on this, because I'd love to see the data behind this:

"Specialized transfers more rotational energy into forward movement than other brands."

I'm sure those bikes are great, stiff yet compliant yadda yadda yadda. But why would you think that the new S-Works you have is more efficient at moving you forward than any one of the other many great options available is freaking beyond me. Let's just pick two popular ones for starters, the similar Cannondale Synapse, and maybe the BH SuperLite. How exactly do you rationalize that your Roubaix transfers more of your effort into forward motion?

Hi Randy,

First off, no, I can't engineering wise back it up. I'm a cyclist, not an engineer. I can feel it, on the climbs, Bartlett lake road, cornering faster and harder than ever. The carbon cranks , the entire bike is designed to be a unit, unchanged from the "S" labs. Torsional rigidity, vertical compliance with Zertz. Comfort from the cobble gobbler post.

It all adds something. Even if it only adds 10 feet of added performance in a 125 mile stage, I'll take it, rather than give it up.

I was always a boutique brand guy. I have a Pro-cyclocross friend in Boulder who convinced me to give "S" a try. I bought a 2008 S-Works Epic, then a 2010 Stumpy 29er HT S-Works, then A 2013 Epic S-Works 29er. Then, my wife bought me the Roubaix. You couldn't pry me off Specialized.

As far as business practice's go, I'm not a politician. I'm a cyclist. Like a surfer, looking for the perfect wave….looking for endless, seamless perfection in a human powered machine.

Not here to argue, an open exchange of idea's. If you don't like Specialized, I get it. many don't. They represent "The Man" cyclist tend to be counter culture, anti establishment types, I get that too.

I have found My perfect machine not yours.

Regards,

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    moots and titus
    And I believe lynsky does too.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Got a suspension fork
    Hi Randy,

First off, no, I can't engineering wise back it up. I'm a cyclist, not an engineer. I can feel it, on the climbs, Bartlett lake road, cornering faster and harder than ever. The carbon cranks , the entire bike is designed to be a unit, unchanged from the "S" labs. Torsional rigidity, vertical compliance with Zertz. Comfort from the cobble gobbler post.

It all adds something. Even if it only adds 10 feet of added performance in a 125 mile stage, I'll take it, rather than give it up.

I was always a boutique brand guy. I have a Pro-cyclocross friend in Boulder who convinced me to give "S" a try. I bought a 2008 S-Works Epic, then a 2010 Stumpy 29er HT S-Works, then A 2013 Epic S-Works 29er. Then, my wife bought me the Roubaix. You couldn't pry me off Specialized.

As far as business practice's go, I'm not a politician. I'm a cyclist. Like a surfer, looking for the perfect wave….looking for endless, seamless perfection in a human powered machine.

Not here to argue, an open exchange of idea's. If you don't like Specialized, I get it. many don't. They represent "The Man" cyclist tend to be counter culture, anti establishment types, I get that too.

Regards,

Steve
    So in other words, you love your new bike but were totally blowing a line that you have no data on to back up, right?

I get it, enthusiastic and you love the ride, just don't think it's somehow magically transferring more of your power output into forward motion than any one of a number of other great bikes because it doesn't.

Over the Hill
    AZ is not they only place that has chunk. If there was a big problem the internet would be full of pictures. In my experience if you use a protector used on helicopter blades on the down tube a rock kicked up by the front tire will do nothing.

Shelter Impact Absorption Tape | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    So in other words, you love your new bike but were totally blowing a line that you have no data on to back up, right?

I get it, enthusiastic and you love the ride, just don't think it's somehow magically transferring more of your power output into forward motion than any one of a number of other great bikes because it doesn't.
    Call it what you want. Seems you just want a pissing contest. I stated…"they have proven to me" I didn't call it fact and wasn't "blowing a line". It's an opinion. Guess mine isn't as important as yours or I need data to support an opinion?

I was enthusiastic about Yeti, Litespeed, Seven, Dean. I am a believer in engineering.

The Next 100 Miler
    Thanks all. Ooops, scheduled a carbon demo ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Thanks all. Ooops, scheduled a carbon demo ride!
    Sorry man, shoulda started a different thread I guess. Good luck on you demo.

mtbr member
    I have witnessed 2 carbon frame "failures". One a guy laid the Gary Fisher down on a tree stump on BCT. The other was a guy going OTB on his Intense and the rear triangle impacted a rock and cracked it.

That said...I own a carbon bike anyway and just have protection on the down tube.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ti,Steel,Aluminum,Carbon no this is where it's at.

R3 Road - Renovo Hardwood Bicycles

Carbon durability in AZ chunk?-617086_432725200123682_2040948397_o.jpg

Give it a crank
    One thing to gauge CF by is to see how CF rims hold up to abuse. I don't know if many mtb riders use CF rims, but if CF rims don't break, that makes trusting CF frames easier.

Got a suspension fork
    Call it what you want. Seems you just want a pissing contest. I stated…"they have proven to me" I didn't call it fact and wasn't "blowing a line". It's an opinion. Guess mine isn't as important as yours or I need data to support an opinion?

I was enthusiastic about Yeti, Litespeed, Seven, Dean. I am a believer in engineering.
    My problem is that you didn't state an opinion, you stated it as fact.

Instead of saying something like: Of all the bikes I've ridden it....

You stated a fact that Specialized is better than all other brands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    One thing to gauge CF by is to see how CF rims hold up to abuse. I don't know if many mtb riders use CF rims, but if CF rims don't break, that makes trusting CF frames easier.
    I think it comes down to who manufactured it. From what I have found, name brand CF is better than unbranded CF. In one of the cheap chinese CF wheel threads, someone from AZ posted a pic of their CF havocs... they were beat to hell but still ridable. This same person tried going with cheap Chinese CF wheels and, if I recall correctly, started having failures right off the bat.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Got a suspension fork
    Hi Randy,

Regards,

Steve
    But you weren't talking of finding anybody's perfect machine, you made a claim that Specialized is better than all other brands at converting pedaling energy into forward motion.

mtbr member
    But you weren't talking of finding anybody's perfect machine, you made a claim that Specialized is better than all other brands at converting pedaling energy into forward motion.
    Not worth arguing over opinions Randy. It's really not that important to me. I just ride. If you want me to retract my statement, I will.

I really dig my stuff and you, yours. Thats the way it should be.

parenting for gnarness
    Pivot makes a few carbon bikes, and they are ridden here by their staff. That says a lot.

The Ibis Mojo has been popular for awhile.

I have never tried, but, I am not afraid simply based on how long they've been around and how few "CRACKED MY CARBON FRAME ON NATIONAL" threads i've seen.

SCRUBDUNKER
    re: offbrand/brand name rims, I ride with some folks, alluded to above, that ride carbon rims, and ride em hard

they only have Chinese hoops - laced to nice hubs, with nice spokes

so, take that for what it's worth

_____
    Jul 2007
    I've got 4 years on a carbon mojo HD riding chunk in PMP. No problems so far. I did destroy the down tube protector with rock strikes after 3 years though.

The Next 100 Miler
    Reminded me of a fun video from my friends at Flagstaff Bike Revolution

from Scott Countryman on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    Still waiting to hear from someone on the board that has actually chipped/cracked/broken a carbon frame from kicking up a rock...
    A few months ago I was in my lbs and one of the guys in the shop was replacing the rear carbon triangle on a 26" Trek Fuel. The chain stay was cracked in half. I don't know if it cracked on impact or as a result of leverage from a fall but I did see the damage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Carbon durability in AZ chunk?

Que the Santa Cruz testing and abuse vid that demonstrates carbon is better than alu...

mtbr member
    For the record the Pivot carbon is super burly, it's huge. I have no doubt it can take punishment. The LES with XTR components at 22 lbs usually would blow people away but it didn't. It's a great bike thought but for 6K, I better get blown....away that is.

I prefer my titanium frame for its just the right amount of compliance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have had a HD for a couple of years and other than normal scratches and chips it has held up very well. I do have the down tube protector and some heli tape in keys areas. I ride the bike hard and mostly ride south mountain (National, Geronimo, Holbert) and PMP (hairball, cheese grater, etc). I have zero worries about the frame. The derailleur and bash guard however, are a different story. I go through those like soft butter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had a carbon HT Trek for a little over a year, brushed up against a rock on seat stay, and it's finished! Rode bike home fine, as I did not know it was even damaged. I did not slam into rock, just brushed it. At the time I was bummed, cause a chunk of paint was removed! ( paint was coming off every where under down tube, bottom bracket area, every time a rock came in contact with it, which was often).
    When I washed bike later that day, I was checking out the area, and when I pushed it with my thumb, it was "soft". Long story short, it was done! Went to LB, told them what happened, they offered a "crash replacement" frame for $2500.00, (I bought entire bike for $3600.00) I said forget it.
    I have a steel frame Ritchey I rode for 15+ years, not a single problem, and the paint job held up way better......so I decided to get a Ritchey P-29er steel frame, $1500.00 less than the crash replacement, and about 1 pound more in weight. In the end I put on better components, and steel bike ended up weighing less then the carbon build......
    My personal experience with carbon frame was not good. Every time I rode, it seemed like the down tube/BB area was getting slammed with rocks, and it was (there was a lot of paint removed down there). Carbon frames down tube/BB areas are massive, and will get hit by rocks.....but mine held up fine there, but if you clip a rock with seat stay/chain stay area, that is the weak point.....
    I won't say I will never buy another one, cause there are some sweet looking carbon frames out there, but I can say that the carbon did not ride any better than my steel frame, in fact I have placed an order to have Coconino build my next steel frame......but I will have carbon seat post, cranks, and wheels on it!

Got a suspension fork
    Bad Jack,

That's exactly the sort of thing that scares me with regard to riding a carbon frame MTB around this area. I know of a few friends who've broke their carbon rode frames too in incidents that seemed like it wouldn't have even phased a metal frame.

I'm not poo-poo'ing carbon in general, seems like it has many great properties for bikes, but I'm a cheap ass and am not willing to risk that time WHEN, not if, I dump my bike on a big sharp rock. My steel MTB frame has quite a few dents and dings which haven't phased it to this point. I'm not so sure a carbon frame would still be in one piece with the same knocks.

The engineers in the group will likely consider the strengths and fatigue issues with all the various materials, but I can't help but consider the sharp rock hitting the frame as a worst case type fall which could seriously damage a carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Carbon durability in AZ chunk?

all I know is out of all the bikes I've owned, only the aluminum ones have cracked & no breaks yet on the 3 carbon fiber bikes I currently own: spec epic, mojo SL & HD. I'm from CA, but have visited AZ often with my bikes & I'm not worry at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Over the Hill
    You can hold out and not buy carbon but take care of your old metal bikes. The day will come when carbon frames will be much cheaper the metal frames.
    I switched to carbon because I have cracked 3 aluminum fames, a Niner RIP twice and my loved Turner 5 Spot.

Give it a crank
    If you want a carbon frame just to shave total weight, it only makes sense after you've shaved weight to the very max on everything else. Particularly wheels + drivetrain + brakes, that's where the big gains are, not the frame.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    If you want a carbon frame just to shave total weight, it only makes sense after you've shaved weight to the very max on everything else. Particularly wheels + drivetrain + brakes, that's where the big gains are, not the frame.
    True on saving weight where you pointed, but my roughly 5 pound steel fame could loose half it's weight by going carbon. That's significant.

mtbr member
    True on saving weight where you pointed, but my roughly 5 pound steel fame could loose half it's weight by going carbon. That's significant.
    My ti frame is 3.3 lbs, I only save about a pound with carbon.
    That's 454 grams, I can save that just from changing my tires.

It is my understanding that screwing up a carbon frame is easier than metal frames. Yes you can screw up any frame but carbon building is a lot more complicated with it's molding process and such.
    Thus there is more variability among carbon frames in terms of quality, compliance, stiffness, etc.
    I can pretty much look at a metal frame and it's thickness and pretty much know what to expect. For example with Lynskey line of Ti hardtails the Pro29 has larger Ti tubing and I expect to be stiffer than the thin MT29 tubing.

My other fear with carbon is that in may not show damage or stress as well as metal. I think Joe in the past had a great post about that. Basically visual inspection of a carbon frame may not predict its future failure as well as visually inspecting metal frames. These are not absolute statements, mind you.

Of course I would have no problem getting a carbon frame from a reputable company such as Santa Cruz or Pivot. However my final problem is the price.

mtbr member
    Here is a warranty for Motobecane bikes off their website. It's pretty telling.

IN THE RARE OCCURENCE OF A DEFECT
    At Motobecane USA, we are proud to produce the highest quality bicycles available and back them up with one of the best warranties in the bicycle industry. High grade bikes rarely have manufacturing defects, few cyclists ever encounter a defective bicycle, and Motobecane USA has quality control that almost completely eliminates defects

ONE HUNDRED YEARS
    All frames made of Titanium.

TWENTY YEARS
    All frames made of Steel. Steel forks.

TEN YEARS
    All frames made of Aluminum.

FIVE YEARS
    All original components. Excluding Shimano, SRAM, Mavic, Ritchey, Avid, FSA.

ONE YEAR
    Paint, decals. Carbon Fiber frames
    . All Shimano, SRAM, Mavic, Ritchey, Avid, FSA components.

LIFETIME REPLACEMENT
    NO-FAULT / CRASH REPLACEMENT POLICY
    All Carbon frames and parts.
    Evaluating damage to carbon fiber parts requires more technology than is needed to inspect metal parts; and in many cases it is impossible to judge the reason for damage to carbon fiber. Motobecane USA will replace any carbon frame or part damaged for any reason at below dealer cost. For example, if you crash or damage a $1200 carbon frame, a comparable replacement can be supplied for under $400. If you crash or impact your bike we strongly encourage you to replace the part, even without sign of damage. If such a crash or impact occurs, Motobecane USA offers a crash replacement program for frames, forks; greatly reducing any replacement cost. To take advantage of this program, contact us via email for full details.

mtbr member
    Here is a warranty from Kona.

LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAME

Kona further warrants to the original owner that the frame of this new Kona bicycle purchased from an authorized Kona dealer shall be free of defective materials or workmanship for the lifetime of ownership by the original owner (this warranty is limited to five years for carbon fiber frames and three years for Safariland Patrol Bikes and electric pedal assist frames).
    Rocky Mountain

Warranty for Original Owners
    We cover your Rocky Mountain frame from the original date of purchase of your
    new Rocky Mountain bicycle according to the frame material and the type of use
    against defects in material and workmanship. Frame Material / Type of Use
    • CroMoly Steel: Limited Lifetime*
    • Aluminium Hybrids & road: Limited Lifetime*
    Carbon Fiber: 5 years - Limited*
    • Aluminium – front & fully suspended : 5 years - Limited*
    • Road & Cross Bikes: 5 years -Limited*• Downhill & Freeride: 3 years -
    Limited*
    Some manufactures like Santa Cruz and Pivot don't make a distinction but limit warranty for all frames to 3-5 years.
    Trek offers lifetime warranty on all - for the 1st owner with many other exclusions.

recovering roadie
    I had a carbon Superfly 100 frame for 3 years and put a frameshield protector on the downtube as well as strapped a 2nd bottle mount on the lower downtube using a Twofish strap mount. Never had a problem with rock strikes - it was well covered. I rode it all over South Mountain for most of those three years. I did crack the swingarm at the seatstay bridge, but I crack swingarms no matter what the frame is made from.

I have a buddy who has a Superfly carbon hardtail that developed a small crack from a rock strike on the down tube. Trek says not to ride it -frame's done. Perhaps Calfee can fix something like that, though.

The lesson for me is: Protect the down tube.

My latest mtn bikes are aluminum. It's not worth it for me to worry about the carbon. If it cost the same, maybe it would be different.