wrecking crew

Carb-BOOM! No longer a 'local' company...

Maadjurger was inquiring on the BCT ride as to alternative nutritions on the trail and we mentioned using Carb-BOOM and that it was a local company. After he looked it up, he pm'ed me asking if it was the VT company he found on the web.

So I checked it out too...Looks like the name and formulas were bought out by a VT company. They must still be using old stock or old packaging because I just bought a box that said it was made in Tucson, AZ. So not really any big news, just interesting. I liked the product, but also liked the fact it was made by a local company.

"Carbboom Nutrition Inc.
    In January 2008, Carbboom Nutrition Inc. of Derby Line Vermont was created after the acquisition of the brand name and product formulas from Sunburst Nutrition of Tucson AZ, makers of Carb Boom Energy Gels. We have offices in Lock Haven PA, Derby Line VT and Canada."
    ~~~

RHRF!
    I too like Carb-BOOM and I used to get it at Performance (on price matching), but it looks like they don't stock it anymore...
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

My other ride is your mom
    I'm still going to try it...but I'm also workin' on my own strangebrew using blackstrap molassas.....it still tastes as good as a yeti smells, but I'm holding out for a late-night beer induced breakthrough.

mad aussie
    Carb Boom is still made in Tucson, at least the stuff that we bring into the shop. Endurance Nutrition is also going to be making it in their other locations from what I understand.

Kevin

Fragile - must be Italian
    Huh...interesting. That would suck if they move out of state.

Regardless, I'm a die hard Carb-Boom junkie and will continue to buy their product even if they move their operations to Tehran. Their gels taste better than anybody else's...hands down. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10, Carb Boom products get a 9.5. Second place Gu is like a 6. Everything else is a 1 (except Clif Shots, which get a -5).

Seriously...it's that good...especially the Strawberry Kiwi flavor. Yummy stuff.

Of course, a gel's primary function is to give a long lasting kick...not a "high"...and Carb Boom delivers there too.

Thx...Doug

NardoSS

make your own

Here's an interesting and informative site about gel fuel and its composition by sugar type, ingredients, and cost per gram. Popular gels are broken down by brand and ingredients (Carb-Boom also).

For those of you that follow the glycemic index when choosing gels or are considering making your own then this site is exceptional.

http://www.summitpost.org/article/23...-for-Less.html

slow uphill
    their stuff is still around - they had Carb Boom packs at the Javelina Jundred.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by NardoSS
    Here's an interesting and informative site about gel fuel and its composition by sugar type, ingredients, and cost per gram. Popular gels are broken down by brand and ingredients (Carb-Boom also).

For those of you that follow the glycemic index when choosing gels or are considering making your own then this site is exceptional.

http://www.summitpost.org/article/23...-for-Less.html

Great site and info thanks very much
    Dave
    I need to ride more and work less.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    their stuff is still around - they had Carb Boom packs at the Javelina Jundred.
    Sorry, maybe my post came off wrong.

I didn't say it wasn't still around, just that they have changed ownership & moved their main operations. Like I said. Packaging on the packs STILL say made in Tucson, AZ. But outer box packaging says it's made in VT.

Awesome product and I will use it and yes, it is still available at Performance.
    ~~~

slow uphill
    oops - on a reread I see I implied that the gist was that they weren't around... my bad.

meant to just note that despite the changeover it looks like availability/visibility hasn't been impacted overall.

I snagged a pack - the last one - that a support tent had when we rode pemberton yesterday. I'm curious to see if the pack also says Tucson... I'll check.