DFL>DNF>DNS

Car Camping Ride: APC125 **EDIT - RIDE CHANGE**

That's right, no bikepacking gear needed.

When: Sat. Dec. 7th 8 am

Where: Kelvin trailhead. (33.089402 N, 110.990432 W) South of Florence on SR79 to the signed Florence-Kelvin Hwy turnoff, take the graded dirt road to the trailhead OR Take US60 East to Superior, then south on rte 177 to a sign for Riverside (Kelvin) turn right and follow the pavement across the Gila River and up the hill to the trailhead. This way only has about a mile of dirt road.

Route: From the Kelvin TH, AZT NORTH down to the Gila River, then AZT west along the river to the large wash area. From there we'll head north to the Artesian Well then continue west along some 4x4 jeep roads meeting back up with the AZT at the bottom of the Gila descent from Martinez Canyon. We'll ford the river near Cochran (Gila River was ankle deep a month ago, but plan accordingly) and ride some more dirt roads, checking out the Coke Oven viewpoint and if time permits an out-n-back to Area52. Then it's back to the dirt roads leading back to the Florence-Kelvin Hwy, a short stint on the powerline road before picking up the AZT once more. The AZT drops down into Ripsey wash, climbs The Big Hill, then follows the famed Ripsey ridgeline and subsequent 5 mile descent back to the Kelvin TH.

GPS track can be found here. **Track will be uploaded tonight** FIle name: GilaRiverRambleLite.gpx & GilaRRLite_POI.gpx
    **Bring a GPS, load the track & know how to use it**

This is not necessarily a group ride, but I'm sure we'll stick together for a good portion. We may split into smaller groups as the day gets long.

Thi loop is challenging, scenic & remote. Come prepared to be self-sufficient.

Here are some teasers:
    AZT above the Gila River

Coke Ovens

The Big Hill

Ripsey!!
    Last edited by freeskier46; 12-05-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Also, this ride will be a great opportunity to clean out & restock the Freeman Rd water cache. Water is scarce along this stretch of trail, so if anyone comes out, please bring a few gallons.

Fresh tire sealant would also be wise, there are a couple of notorious cholla segments near Antelope Peak!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Also, this ride will be a great opportunity to clean out & restock the Freeman Rd water cache. Water is scarce along this stretch of trail, so if anyone comes out, please bring a few gallons.

Fresh tire sealant would also be wise, there are a couple of notorious cholla segments near Antelope Peak!!
    That water cache is a literal oasis in the desert that has saved the bacon of many a hiker/biker.

I was quite happy to see the cache last time I was there:
    Car Camping Ride: APC125-img_4388.jpg

Got a suspension fork
    Holy Crap! I thought this event was nearer the end of January. What the heck was I thinking.

Not sure I can make both days at this point, what is the estimated start time on Sunday?

And to clarify, no water fill opportunities on Sunday's ride other than a possible filtering point?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    And to clarify, no water fill opportunities on Sunday's ride other than a possible filtering point?
    correct...maybe a cattle tank or two or if you were really in trouble, go down to the Gila after descending off Ripsey to the north. That would add a few miles or so.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Sundays ride will be much quicker than Saturdays pace for sure. Those doing the Sat loop may want/need a bit more time to get moving on Sun. Maybe 8am rollout on Sunday?? Sunrise is around 7:20a now.

There is a new water cache down at the Kelvin TH, I may swing by there if I head down on Friday & drop a few gallons. It's not that far out of the way, Barkersville Rd connects the Florence-Kelvin Hwy to Freeman Rd, all 3 are well maintained.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    For anyone coming out either day, we're shooting for an 8am start each day from the Freeman Rd TH.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Would love to join you guys but family arrives Thursday for an early X-mas for the kids. Probably not the best to be gone all day/weekend. (Well it would be good for me.)
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the invite. Can't make this one but looks like fun routes!

Dan

DFL>DNF>DNS
    **CHANGE OF PLANS** See OP above.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth