DFL>DNF>DNS

Can't make Randy's BCT ride on Sun or you just want to suffer more? Picketpost calls!

This Sunday, 10/13, a few of us will be pre-riding the bottom portion of the AES Picketpost Pulverizer route. Starting at the Picketpost TH @7am we'll take the AZT south to Telegraph Canyon Rd. (FR4), then follow a series of jeep roads down to the Gila River where we'll rejoin the AZT for that nice climb up from the Gila. The remainder of the route is on the AZT back to the TH.

The lollipop loop is 45 miles and roughly 9000' of elevation gain, according to Topofusion. This won't be race pace, but probably not my usual picture pace either, after last Sunday's nighttime finish I want to keep this one moving.

I'll post up a GPX file when I get home, but anyone interested should treat this as a self-supported ride, i.e come prepared to suffer.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

and bring lots of water. Other than the Gila, we have no idea if there will be any water sources - that is part of why we are checking it out.

How much further ???
    Sounds like a blast but I really want to help out on with the trail maintenance on Saturday and can only get one day this weekend. Sounds like one heck of a ride.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Seems like such a shame to miss that AZT to Gila downhill! I doubt those roads will be as nicely groomed. I'm sure the climb out will be lots of fun. One of these days I'll be a real mountain biker again and I'll join in the fun. The kneecap seems pretty well mended after my OTB the other week. Back to training!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    For anyone wanting to pre-ride the 50, I will be starting with John's group then peeling off at the last crossroads to the 50. I haven't ridden there, John informed me, I will need to ride the lower section backwards to accomplish this.

Regards,

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Well, that was hard. So much for finishing in daylight. At least I packed my lights this time. Now that I've done all of the 81 mile route, I'm thinking my finishing goal is somewhere around 18 hours!! This is gonna hurt. If anyone is out riding the normal Picketpost south stuff, take some clippers. There's not a ton of catclaw, but there are some strategically placed.

From y'days ride:
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Unfortunately Nancy and I made the rookie mistake of NOT bringing lights. John was kind enough to lead us through the last couple of miles in the dark - that was interesting/comical. While we did have 2.5 hours of stopping time, there is no doubt that this loop is quite challenging. But it is also quite beautiful.

How much further ???
    Yeah I'm on the fence about bringing a light for the 50. Based on my current pace I should be coming in at ~9 hours with stops. If the official race starts at 8am (we have the 2 mile neutral roll to start). That brings me in at 5pm with only 30 min to spare before sunset. I know if I don't bring it I will need it. Uggg. More crap to bring I guess.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Bring it. One stubborn leaky tire can leave you well after dark. Been there. The weight penalty doesn't out weigh the piece of mind, or necessity, after the sun goes down.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

How much further ???
    Agreed

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Yeah I'm on the fence about bringing a light for the 50. Based on my current pace I should be coming in at ~9 hours with stops. If the official race starts at 8am (we have the 2 mile neutral roll to start). That brings me in at 5pm with only 30 min to spare before sunset. I know if I don't bring it I will need it. Uggg. More crap to bring I guess.
    That sounds like it's cutting it pretty close, any mechanicals or other issues and you may find yourself in the dark.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides