Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Jul 2013

Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?

Today I gave a free tour to a group of German's who were visiting Sedona and were looking for a great day of riding this was the third day I have been showing them around and today we did a huge shuttle extravaganza.

Since today's riding entailed driving to a number of different trailheads that were closed or had limited facilities it was quit a learning experience.

The gate at the Jordan trailhead so cars parked out of the closed gate and walked into the vast trail system in the Soldiers Wash area. Last week Soldier Wash trails had recieved a tune up by a bunch of volunteers and this week the gates are closed.

Since the Jordan down was part of the days scheduled activities we rode up to the start of the Jordan trail where the taxpayer paid pit toilet is located. As one can expect from our brilliant government has decided that the pit toilet doors need to be locked until the budget crisis is over.

I guess the idea is that it's better to have users to take a dump in the woods or take a leak behind a tree than let them use a pit toilet they paid for with taxpayer funds.

The next thing we found interesting is the sign on the kiosk at the Yavapai Point parking lot over the machine where the FS provides a machine to buy a Red Rock pass.

No pass is required at the Yavapai Point parking lot because it doesn't have enough amenities to qualify for a fee based trailhead, but there is a sign over the parking lot pass machine showing us how dysfunctional our government has become.

No pass is required to park in the lot but they put a message over the pass machine to make people believe if the government were to pass a budget the machine would be operable so they could be suckered into buying a pass.

What I would like to propose to the mountain bike community is that they setup as volunteers and offer to inspect the restrooms at trailheads in their local area to see that they are in useable condition and if not do the needed cleanup to make them useable.

If the pit toilet is out of toilet paper that the volunteer steps up and supplies needed paper to get the pit toilet back in order. Maybe the FS could give the volunteer a free parking pass to reimburse them for their services during the government shutdown.

What is interesting is that that cleaning of the restrooms is not done by government employees, but is done by contracted private services. I guess the FS is concerned that the government is going bankrupt and will never be able to pay for those services which were performed on a regular scheduled basis previously.

I am personally stepping up and offering my services to inspect the pit toilet located close to where I live. Hopefully the FS will allow me to clean up that pit toilet so trail users in need of of it will get to do so. If it is out of toilet paper I will donate fresh rolls to give people the experience they are looking for at there local service station.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-pit-toilet-3.jpg  

Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-pit-toilet-2.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    These are the trails we are building in Anchorage:

Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-1175088_10153205971590366_1196868222_n.jpgCan Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-8_12_2013-trail-work.jpgCan Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-970311_10153082432925366_1001764251_n.jpg

Just finished a bunch of it tonight and had a nice dinner catered by the local trail-building organization, "singletrack advocates". It's really cool that the city has let us do this. We are currently adding to a trail network that currently has these types of trails and building "more of the same" type of trails, although a few get bigger features, jumps etc. All have the ability to either ride-around or over at low speed, which is nice. Some are directional, some are directional on different days and meant to be fun with features in both directions, some are 2-way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    These are the trails we are building in Anchorage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1175088_10153205971590366_1196868222_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	837280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8_12_2013 trail work.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	837278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	970311_10153082432925366_1001764251_n.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	837279

Just finished a bunch of it tonight and had a nice dinner catered by the local trail-building organization, "singletrack advocates". It's really cool that the city has let us do this. We are currently adding to a trail network that currently has these types of trails and building "more of the same" type of trails, although a few get bigger features, jumps etc. All have the ability to either ride-around or over at low speed, which is nice. Some are directional, some are directional on different days and meant to be fun with features in both directions, some are 2-way.
    J:

It's always good to hear from you and how well the mountain bikers are working with the landmanager in Alaska. It looks like there are a lot of volunteers working to make the trail in the pictures. How much is the budget for the project you are working on and how long did it take to get it approved.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Good question, I'll try to ask on Wed when we get together to build again. Almost done with 6 new miles! I know it's partially (at least) funded by the singletrack advocates and they have a formal trailcrew hired using heavy equipment, but there are dozens of volunteers helping out on organized trail building sessions several times a week.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

My other ride is your mom
    Every time I read these threads, I start to believe more and more that the OP is Alonso Quijano

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    weren't you banned from this site?

mtbr member
    I don't know... I actually enjoy pinchin' a loaf in nature....

mtbr member

Any mountain biker who uses a portajohn is not a real mountain biker.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I've heard a world class user experience could be had at the Asia Star in Mesa before it was shut down.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Any mountain biker who uses a portajohn is not a real mountain biker.
    I agree 100%. As mountain bikers these kinds of shutdowns don't affect us one bit. It kind of points out how little it costs to allow us recreational opportunities. Once the trail is built and a volunteer maintenance group steps up to keep it in good shape so they and others can use it the cost is minimal.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    I agree 100%. As mountain bikers these kinds of shutdowns don't affect us one bit. It kind of points out how little it costs to allow us recreational opportunities. Once the trail is built and a volunteer maintenance group steps up to keep it in good shape so they and others can use it the cost is minimal.
    So, the Germans rode their bikes from Germany?

banned
    Jul 2013
    So, the Germans rode their bikes from Germany?
    They are on tour for four months so they drove their new Fiat Sportsvan from Stuttgart Germany to enjoy the riding in the good old USA. The Cruise America van behind their rig was rented by their friends who picked it up in Las Vegas. They are on their way to Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek tomorrow.

The sunset picture is on Hangover, the dinner is Schnitzel and Potatoes and the last picture is of my old 60 year old wife trying to ride like a teenager. What a country and what a great time riding with friends who understand me and love the red rock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-fiat-van.jpg  

Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-hangover-frank.jpg  

Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-spitzel.jpg  

Can Volunteer Mountain Bikers Help The FS Give Trail Users a Better Experience?-janet-12-5.jpg  

banned
    Jul 2013
    What is interesting about the closure of the pit toilets is that the government indicates the toilets are closed because there is no funding to keep them open. The have covered the Red Rock Pass machines with signs stating they don't have all the amenities (toilet, picnic table, paved parking lot, kiosk and Red Rock Pass machine) at the trailhead necessary to keep the Red Rock pass machine open.

Both the pit toilet and pass machine are serviced by private companies. So you have an income source (the pass machines) to fund the purchase of toilet paper and clean the pit toilet area, but the government pretends that the government is getting no money from the pass machines or taxpayers to keep the pit toilets open.

I wonder how many people really believe this baloney.

mtbr member
    I think I need a pit toilet right now.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I think I need a pit toilet right now.
    Good to have you back we certainly missed your perspective on these important issues. I haven't heard back from our government officials as to whether they will let me clean the Vultee Arch facility. I have my cleaning supplies ready to help out.

Jennifer MAY BE at the Sedona Chamber of Commerce meeting today to promote the idea of a new skills park for those individuals wanting to improve their riding. The idea of such a park is to get young kids involved with the sport. The hope is this would make their parents and grandparents pro mountain biking.

The meeting is at 4:30 PM if you are close by come join those of us help support this worthy cause.

mtbr member

What is interesting about the closure of the pit toilets is that the government indicates the toilets are closed because there is no funding to keep them open. The have covered the Red Rock Pass machines with signs stating they don't have all the amenities (toilet, picnic table, paved parking lot, kiosk and Red Rock Pass machine) at the trailhead necessary to keep the Red Rock pass machine open.

Both the pit toilet and pass machine are serviced by private companies. So you have an income source (the pass machines) to fund the purchase of toilet paper and clean the pit toilet area, but the government pretends that the government is getting no money from the pass machines or taxpayers to keep the pit toilets open.

I wonder how many people really believe this baloney.
    What part of "government shutdown" are you having a difficult time understanding ?

mtbr member
    just got back from the south rim to pick up some missing keys. It was hard enough to get a ranger to meet us. Park is in total shut down.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

banned
    Jul 2013
    What part of "government shutdown" are you having a difficult time understanding ?
    I would say the I am having a difficult time understanding why more people don't understand the long term fiscal necessity for the shutdown. I guess it's human nature for many people to live beyond their means, so they assume the government can do the same.

In the short term I think it gives people who want to help others in these trying times the opportunity to step up and clean some pit toilets it should be OK without fear of being arrested.

mtbr member
    I would say the I am having a difficult time understanding why more people don't understand the long term fiscal necessity for the shutdown. I guess it's human nature for many people to live beyond their means, so they assume the government can do the same.

In the short term I think it gives people who want to help others in these trying times the opportunity to step up and clean some pit toilets it should be OK without fear of being arrested.
    Perhaps it's time to start an Adopt-A-Pit-Toilet Program.

mtbr member

Who's stopping them? But don't expect the government to do it for free.

bland
    What the hell was going on up here the last 17 days when I was in the canyon? The gov is shut down and Jon Finch is back on mtbr, what a country!

mtbr member
    Why was TD was banned
    Last edited by SSdirt29; 10-09-2013 at 04:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    Why was TD was banned
    For trolling and being annoying. And banned again but he will rise from the ashes to frequent the board again I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It beats me why we have to rely on 'government' to build/ride trails on the peoples' land.

But then, I don't ask 'government' for much; and don't expect much either..

Hey, I thought I recognized a (very) old biker in the dr scene. right on.
    TS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    And locking a pit toilet is preposterous.
    How to win friends USFS!
    But I guess someone profitted from the sale of all those locks; which will be melted if/when the shutdown ends; perhaps someone should have 'shut' some of those silly politicos in them; and thrown away the keys.
    TS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast