Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Can Someone ID This Critter?

Saw this last night on my night ride on the windgate pass trail. I've seen all kind of critters in my 20 years in the desert but never saw this one before!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can Someone ID This Critter?-ugly-bug.jpg  

Flaccid Member
    Looks like a Jerusalem Cricket, or potato bug, at first glance. Better leave it to the arachnid folks though, it's got 8 legs instead of 6.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 09-03-2010 at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsavarirayan
    Saw this last night on my night ride on the windgate pass trail. I've seen all kind of critters in my 20 years in the desert but never saw this one before!
    Black Widow
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I stayed in a hotel in the CA desert once years ago and woke up with one of those in my BED! Disgusting.

nodejitsu
    This is part of the solfugid family - also called sun spider, wind scorpion, wind spider, camel spider - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Black Widow

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by onemission
    I stayed in a hotel in the CA desert once years ago and woke up with one of those in my BED! Disgusting.
    that will teach you not to drink so much,, im sure it looked attractive when you first took it home...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Saw one of those things the other night and about sh** myself when it flung up off my tire. I've been wondering what the heck it was ever since. Great pic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    that will teach you not to drink so much,, im sure it looked attractive when you first took it home...
    haha. It was the best looking creature Ive had in bed for a while.

Team Tortuga
    I know we have talked about these before. We rode DC last night and encountered two of them and these things are nuts! They will flat out turn around and chase you. Not knowing what they were and if they were poisonous or not we just got out of their way. Does anyone know anyone who may have been bitten by one of these things?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sun spider 4 sure.

mtbr member

they're taking over the planet

I was out at Hawes last night, I saw tons of those things on saguaro, and they were big and fast!...They were pushing 2in in length, and running all over. Tons=about 6. I never encountered so many before..

Usually I see more scorpions this time of year...Must be "bug of the month". Last year was rattle snakes, haven't seen any of those this year.
    Check my pulse...

nodejitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    I know we have talked about these before. We rode DC last night and encountered two of them and these things are nuts! They will flat out turn around and chase you. Not knowing what they were and if they were poisonous or not we just got out of their way. Does anyone know anyone who may have been bitten by one of these things?
    they are harmless

mtbr member
    I think we got the answer - check this link out: http://www.insectidentification.org/...e-Windscorpion

nodejitsu
    Oh I know you got the answer and long before you posted your insect ID link

mtbr member
    Check my pulse...

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    I've heard that they look for dark ground, so if you catch them with a bit of moonlight or near lights at night, and you have a shadow, they will scurry to get to the shadow. It looks like they are pissed and hellbent on getting you, but they are after the shadow you're throwing off.

mtbr member
    Naveen stop posting pictures of your relitives on here...

Kathleen in AZ
    Cute bugger.... bugs are so cool. I was playing with one of those monster Palo Verde Beetles at an outside party recently, just to freak people out, then read later that they like to chomp and hang on with their monster pinchers. Taught me to know my bugs before handling! So I can't see the youtube from work... is the Wind Spider/Scorpion really harmless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phxKokopelli
    This is part of the solfugid family - also called sun spider, wind scorpion, wind spider, camel spider - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae
    "Vanado Muerte" in espanol - "deer killer" You are correct on the family. the largest jaws per body size of any land animal. F. with it with a stick - the jaws work 4-way. the ones in baja are HUGE! - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

nodejitsu
    I've always allowed them to live at the house (outdoors of course) as I think they eat spiders and other bugs I don't want. Wiki says there is one type in India that has been found to have venom producing glands or whatever but no identifiable means to administer the venom to prey.

Look like you make some nice bikes there coconino.
    Last edited by phxKokopelli; 09-03-2010 at 06:32 PM.

How do I do that?
    I've been seeing a lot of those lately on my nightly PMP rides. Unlike the poor gecko's(?) who seem to have a knack for diving under my tire at right moment, those critters usually dash away from me as I approach.

nodejitsu
    Poor geckos needa speed it up.

Could be either:

Mediterranean House Gecko - kinda spotted and more transparent looking - can only identify male/female by when the female is carrying eggs they can be seen through the transparent skin of the abdomen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_house_gecko

Or Western Banded clearly defined dark bands as markings not spotted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleonyx_variegatus
    Last edited by phxKokopelli; 09-03-2010 at 03:03 PM.

nodejitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    lol any spider that big is dangerous in fear alone

SoSlo
    Camel Spider... the guys over in Iraq always talked about them being as big as a house cat, but that's BS. I didn't know they were out here. Gross.
    The Slow One

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast