How much further ???

Can someone expand on this ?

"This incredible view [Ripsey ridgeline (AZT passage #15)] may not be around for long, mining operations in the area are prompting a re-route of the AZT"

Is this official? When is this projected to begin? I see mention of it on the Arizona Trail site.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    ASARCO's life-of-mine (Ray Mine) has been extended another 20 (or more) years based on the current (and projected future) price of copper. The additional mining will necessarily result in the generation of millions of tons of additional tailings. ASARCO has looked at several locations to site a new tailings dam (really a tailings repository), and from a cost and geography standpoint, Ripsey Wash was the logical location for the new facility. In order to build the new tailings facility, a portion of the Florence-Kelvin Highway and the AZ Trail will necessarily be rerouted. I don't yet know what the impact will be to Ripsey Ridge, but even if the ridgeline is not impacted, the viewshed certainly will be. We live in a state that was built on copper mining, and for better or worse, mining will continue to be an integral part of our state's economy. I will miss Ripsey, and I am so glad I've had the chance to ride it while it's still there to be ridden. I would suggest that we all get out there and enjoy the hell out of the Ripsey segment this winter, and work with the AZ Trail Association and ASARCO to come up with an even better alternative route.

ADDED: I would add also that ASARCO (and Rosemont and Resolution and Freeport) is a Legacy Partner of the AZ Trail Association. While tailings dams are an inevitable fact of mining, funding from the mining industry is part of the reason we have the Arizona Trail.
    Last edited by GilaMonster; 10-14-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: additional information
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

How much further ???
    Bummer. So its a done deal then huh? Sounds like work will begin summer of 2014? I better get out there.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    The footprint of the final design is still in the planning stage, but the location will be Ripsey Wash.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle