mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Can anyone recommend a Sedona guide (other than Hermosa)?

I booked a guide months in advance with Hermosa, but guess they decided to give me the finger for a larger group. Really bummed to have no logistics to get to the trails I wanted to ride. Can someone recommend a more reliable guide outfit in Sedona? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVV View Post
    I booked a guide months in advance with Hermosa, but guess they decided to give me the finger for a larger group. Really bummed to have no logistics to get to the trails I wanted to ride. Can someone recommend a more reliable guide outfit in Sedona? Thanks
    Try here: https://www.360-adventures.com/arizona-mountain-biking/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think you can book guides through Over The Edge (OTE) bicycle shop, which is the main bicycle shop in Sedona. In any case, I would call them and tell them your situation and ask them for a recommendation.

I booked a guide months in advance with Hermosa, but guess they decided to give me the finger for a larger group.
    Did you put a non-refundable deposit down? If so, I would call Hermosa and tell them that they owe you the same amount for cancelling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    I think you can book guides through Over The Edge (OTE) bicycle shop, which is the main bicycle shop in Sedona.
    Yeah, unfortunately that's what I did. That's Hermosa.

Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Did you put a non-refundable deposit down? If so, I would call Hermosa and tell them that they owe you the same amount for cancelling.
    They refunded the deposit. It's more that scheduling two days of riding in Sedona affected every other aspect of our vacation. I'm not likely to have the opportunity to ride there again anytime soon. I splurged on a guide to make things as smooth as possible, so I could maximize my time on the trails. Instead it's become another headache.

Just think it's a really shitty thing to do to someone in the interest of a few extra bucks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ouch! Boo on OTE, and boo on Hermosa.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Shady people for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You didn't miss much anyway. Used them last Fall and was a cluster.... of being late, not knowing where we were going on the trail, change of plans, etc. Not a real organized or professional group IMO. Sorry for your experience, though.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If you are a Trump supporter, I have been asked by Donald to provide free guiding services to riders who are in need of a comprehensive tour of Sedonaís vast trail system.

I created the Trailforks database of popular mountain bike trails, so I know every trail on the FREE app. Let me know if you need some help.

When is your proposed arrival date.

mtbr member
    Switchblade should be along shortly to offer up some suggestions...he may even ride with you. When I first started going to Sedona, the signage was less than stellar but it's come a long way. Add in the Trailforks and MTB Project apps and I think the need for a guide is very minimal. Besides, there's always somebody out there that doesn't mind you tagging along.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

The .05 percent
    What a country

Just A Mountain Biker.
    He was probably just busy taking more pictures of his vapid girlfriend for Instagram

Pivotal figure
    I'd contact one of the other local shops for advice on a guide. Absolute Bikes or Bike and Bean can probably steer you the right direction
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

IPA tester
    There are so many apps and maps on line that with a little planning, checking out the numerous posts here, and ride reports, you should be good. Sometimes just exploring is as rewarding as following somebody around all day.

May all the trails be FUNNED UP and the PIT TOILETS clean.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    If you are a Trump supporter, I have been asked by Donald to provide free guiding services to riders who are in need of a comprehensive tour of Sedonaís vast trail system.

I created the Trailforks database of popular mountain bike trails, so I know every trail on the FREE app. Let me know if you need some help.

Do you supply Russian hookers and rubber sheets, Switch? Ya know... for the post-ride social networking?

Seriously, to the OP, from what I've heard Switch gives a pretty good tour and knows the trails as good as anyone. If you can handle the MAGA drivel, or if that's your persuasion, you might want to shoot him a PM.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I was going to post some snarky comment about how no one explores on their own anymore. But yeah 2 days only you want to get the goods, and to have your guide cancel in favor of more $$$ is all kinds of lame. Shame on @hermosa for cancelling on you, total lack of class. They do have an MTBR account, maybe they will pop in and offer an explanation.

I've had the pleasure of riding with Switchblade a number of times. If he is offering guide services I would strongly suggest taking him up. You will not find anyone more knowledgeable about the trails. If you are lucky, Traildoc may join you as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Well, I can't claim to meet your first criteria, but I'd be happy to put politics aside for any help on offer. I'll be in Sedona on June 2nd and 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I was going to post some snarky comment about how no one explores on their own anymore. But yeah 2 days only you want to get the goods, and to have your guide cancel in favor of more $$$ is all kinds of lame.
    Yeah, sort of where I'm at. I'm typically down to explore but with wife and kids in need of separate entertainment and just one rental car, it's not so simple.

mtbr member
    Yeah, sort of where I'm at. I'm typically down to explore but with wife and kids in need of separate entertainment and just one rental car, it's not so simple.
    Folks without kids (or a wife that doesn't ride) don't have a clue regarding that dynamic. One reason I mostly avoid group rides. Turn and burn, get in-get out. A guide will help get you the goods without having to raise the stress levels with wife and kid in tow. If you've got the coin then support a local guide. Except for Hermosa I guess. They're not local anyway. Just another johnny-come-lately trying to make a buck off Sedona.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Do you supply Russian hookers and rubber sheets, Switch? Ya know... for the post-ride social networking?

Seriously, to the OP, from what I've heard Switch gives a pretty good tour and knows the trails as good as anyone. If you can handle the MAGA drivel, or if that's your persuasion, you might want to shoot him a PM.
    Velo I donít read any PMís. I have six unread ones currently. Itís kind of like Donald not going to the Correspondence Dinner. Why subject myself to hate mail? I have tons of mountain bike visitors who are tolerant with my position with the Donald. All of them appreciate Donald enjoys sex with women. Hopefully he will get the Nobel Peace Prize at some point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Well, I can't claim to meet your first criteria, but I'd be happy to put politics aside for any help on offer. I'll be in Sedona on June 2nd and 3rd.
    Call Trail Sports and ask for Will. If he canít help you I will show you around or I will set up a detailed plan where you can ride. Hopefully you are staying in West Sedona and hopefully the Coconino Forest wonít be closed by then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Call Trail Sports and ask for Will. If he canít help you I will show you around or I will set up a detailed plan where you can ride. Hopefully you are staying in West Sedona and hopefully the Coconino Forest wonít be closed by then.
    Trails Sports sorted me out. Thanks for the recommendation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey; If the Maestro Swich2 says he will help you; go fer it.
    He is the "self appointed ...."

Every riding area needs a guy/gal that has the knowledge and the time to help felloww riders out..........and help 'Make America.....
    Enjoy Sedona!
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Hey; If the Maestro Swich2 says he will help you; go fer it.
    He is the "self appointed ...."

Every riding area needs a guy/gal that has the knowledge and the time to help felloww riders out..........and help 'Make America.....
    Enjoy Sedona!
    TS
    TS thanks for the vote of confidence. I will let Donald know that I am trying to do a good job.

Meatbomb
    Strange

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rented a Hightower LT from these guys for a solo day, they do guided trips as well.

https://aoa-adventures.com

change is good
    Sep 2004
    https://www.simonsaysmtb.com/contact/

I know this guy gives people in the industry tours. I had a great experience with him doing skills training.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    https://www.simonsaysmtb.com/contact/

I know this guy gives people in the industry tours. I had a great experience with him doing skills training.

Interesting, did you say Simon gives paid tours on the Sedona trails or he gives paid skills training then sometimes goes on a ride with paid customers free of charge?

Will at Trail Sport owns a mountain bike tour company. He has been riding Sedona trails for at least fifteen years. Will is permitted by the USFS to do mountain bike tours for a fee. I am not sure Simon is permitted to do mountain bike tours for a fee, but I could be totally wrong on that, and I am curious if his status has changed?

I myself do FREE tours all the time for Trump supporters. Sometimes I make an exception if the person looking for a tour isnít a die hard Trump hater.

I am sure Will and his wife Tracy would appreciate the business. Of course Simon, Juanita and Bronwyn would also appreciate the business.

Out of the three of us, I know the trail system better than the other two but they are much better riders than I am.

Meatbomb
    John, you are one strange individual .

I am Walt

Can anyone recommend a Sedona guide (other than Hermosa)?

I myself do FREE tours all the time for Trump supporters. Sometimes I make an exception if the person looking for a tour isnít a die hard Trump hater.
    John, I need to hit you up for a tour again, after the fun time at Gold Canyon a few years ago. As soon as my wife gets her new bike, we want to start exploring Sedona much more. Who better than someone who is working to MAGA! What a country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    John, I need to hit you up for a tour again, after the fun time at Gold Canyon a few years ago. As soon as my wife gets her new bike, we want to start exploring Sedona much more. Who better than someone who is working to MAGA! What a country!

Im in for this for sure

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Im in for this for sure
    Awesome!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Walz that sounds great I would love to give you and your lovely wife a Tour de Sedona. I have another Trump supporter friend coming up this weekend from Phoenix. He just escaped California and purchased a home near Peoria. He is way younger than me and is a hardcore BMX and cross country rider. I will show him a bunch of the fun Sedona trails, so he get's a taste of Paradise. It is going to be awesome when the USFS gets done adding 34 miles of new system trails hopefully in the next two years. In the mean time we locals can ride seventeen of the 34 that already exist. What a Country MAGA!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The Donald know; you don't have to tell him SB.
    But if he comes out to BC; let him know I have some rides for him; and a Transition Smuggler too,
    Cheers,
    TS
    BTW; Does HE mtb?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Trails Sports sorted me out. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Glad you are set up with Will. Please let us know how your ride goes. Enjoy Sedona!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    We are going to be heading out there in June and was wondering where is a good place to rent kids bikes and adult bikes - we can't wait to ride out there. Thank you for the advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPLyman325 View Post
    We are going to be heading out there in June and was wondering where is a good place to rent kids bikes and adult bikes - we can't wait to ride out there. Thank you for the advice.
    Absolute Bikes has a pretty diverse rental fleet.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    So does Over the Edge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Riding in Sedona with young lesser skilled riders can be challenging for the more skilled riders in the group. Whenever I go out with a group of riders with different skilled riders I like to inform the group that they need to be aware that pushing the lesser skilled rider to ride above their ability can lead to a very unhappy rider in the group.

For the most part all Sedona beginner rated trails have hazards that could lead to a serious injury for an inexperienced rider. We haven't had rain for quite sometime so a lot of the trail surface is hard packed with lots of loose dirt and rocks that make the surface somewhat slippery. Good braking ability is important if the group is prone to riding faster than their ability.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you - my two youngest have been riding trails here in GA for over the past year and are pretty good at handling their bikes and not pushing themselves, especially my youngest who enjoys the ride.

Also, what is the best scenic ride that beginner rated ?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Riding in Sedona with young lesser skilled riders can be challenging for the more skilled riders in the group. Whenever I go out with a group of riders with different skilled riders I like to inform the group that they need to be aware that pushing the lesser skilled rider to ride above their ability can lead to a very unhappy rider in the group.

For the most part all Sedona beginner rated trails have hazards that could lead to a serious injury for an inexperienced rider. We haven't had rain for quite sometime so a lot of the trail surface is hard packed with lots of loose dirt and rocks that make the surface somewhat slippery. Good braking ability is important if the group is prone to riding faster than their ability.
    All rides in Sedona are scenic. Both beginner rides are scenic. The BEST beginner loop is starting at the Mescal parking lot. From there you ride to the Long Canyon parking lot on the Long Canyon paved road to the Long Canyon trail to left on the Deadmanís trail to straight on the Aerie trail to left on Cockscomb to left on Dawa to right on OK to left on AZ Cypress to FR9589B to left on Dry Creek paved road to Boynton/Long Canyon intersection to the Oak trail to your car or starting point.

Please let us know how the ride went, so we know if the ride was suitable for younger riders.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you so much and will give a trip report when we are done.

PS - We are making America Great Again from the inside out

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    JP the best Smart Phone app for Sedona is Trailforks.com. The reason it is the best trail app is it has all USFS system mountain bike trails and many very popular user created trails that haven't been adopted YET, so they aren't listed on other trail databases or the maps sold in the bike shops. You can also use Trailforks on your laptop to research future fun rides.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you so much for all the information - we can't wait we will be on the trails Tuesday - we end up renting bikes from OTE as they had better kid bikes and more like what my kids use in Atlanta. I will post a full report once we are done from this trip. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thank you so much for all the information - we can't wait we will be on the trails Tuesday - we end up renting bikes from OTE as they had better kid bikes and more like what my kids use in Atlanta. I will post a full report once we are done from this trip. Thanks again
    JPL thanks for the update I am really curious how the ride goes. Donít start too late unless you are use to riding in hot weather.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Switchblade - we made it. Last night we did easy does it and the top part of Skywalker a couple of times to get used to our bikes. Today after last nights ride we got up early and did chuck wagon - I have to say I made the basic dad mistake and said hey lets go see devils bridge (opps) kids pushed on and their bikes up to devils bridge. We then jumped back on to chuck wagon (wow - what views) the back side climbs were tough for everyone but my son (he rented an Evil Calling) we had to do some walking especially at the end when the muscles where done (after 8 miles). So we dropped the kids and wife at long canyon parking lot and my son and I finished back to the other parking lot. We started around 6:30 this morning - what an amazing ride. My young ones pushed through it and did the things they felt comfortable and tried some things - we did not set any records but it was the highlight of my 9 year old and especially my 16 year old. Thank you so much

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Switchblade - we made it. Last night we did easy does it and the top part of Skywalker a couple of times to get used to our bikes. Today after last nights ride we got up early and did chuck wagon - I have to say I made the basic dad mistake and said hey lets go see devils bridge (opps) kids pushed on and their bikes up to devils bridge. We then jumped back on to chuck wagon (wow - what views) the back side climbs were tough for everyone but my son (he rented an Evil Calling) we had to do some walking especially at the end when the muscles where done (after 8 miles). So we dropped the kids and wife at long canyon parking lot and my son and I finished back to the other parking lot. We started around 6:30 this morning - what an amazing ride. My young ones pushed through it and did the things they felt comfortable and tried some things - we did not set any records but it was the highlight of my 9 year old and especially my 16 year old. Thank you so much
    Oh what a country!