mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Camping in Sedona

Any suggestions on dispersed camping in Sedona? I'm planning on heading up this weekend for some solo riding. I'd like to set up camp and be able to ride in and out.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    FR525 is easy on the west side, top of Schnebly Hill is the coolest if you have the ground clearance.

Neither is the most convenient access via bike, much of Sedona doesn't allow dispersed camping so you have to go out a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Schnebly Hill is so gnarly these days, I wouldn't want to subject my vehicle to that.

I also wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my camp set up while not being there at any dispersed camping areas. Maybe pay for a site at the Manzanita Campground? It's 6 miles up the hill from Sedona but it's shaded and a little cooler plus with it being a site hosted campground (I think) I would feel better about leaving my camp there.

The .05 percent
    Pretty sure switchblade will let you camp at his place, then treat you to a tour of sedona s best pit toilets.

mtbr member
    wow, we have had this question many times lol... If you look at this map, any area outside the green boundary is open for dispersed camping -- https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5416228.jpg

Red Canyon Road/FR 525 is the best in my opinion. Bring some shade/canopy with you.. Not sure why raisingarizona would be scared of camping in this area... dispersed camping is all the same in my opinion.

FR525 has legal dispersed camping on the west side of the road all the way up to its north end. If you are driving up from phoenix, go through Cottonwood. It's much faster that way.

It gets very hot in the middle of the day out there this time of year. So again, bring some shade.

mtbr member
    closest trailhead from that camping would be Aeire

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Schnebly Hill is so gnarly these days, I wouldn't want to subject my vehicle to that.

I also wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my camp set up while not being there at any dispersed camping areas. Maybe pay for a site at the Manzanita Campground? It's 6 miles up the hill from Sedona but it's shaded and a little cooler plus with it being a site hosted campground (I think) I would feel better about leaving my camp there.
    Knock on wood, but I and my buddies never had any problems camping in the mountain west. Major urban areas may be another story. In AZ everyone is armed or has a dog or both That being said, the closer to town, the less likely Iím to leave a bike or electronic device outside of my vehicle. Boondocking now is difficult because of the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro