mtbr member

New question here. Camping outside Sedona

Looking to car camp somewhere outside Sedona as basecamp for some riding next month. Looking to avoid any sense of an organized campground. Any suggestions appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Check the sticky.

banned
    Jul 2013

Old MTBR Post Giving Primative Camping Intel

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadou View Post
    Looking to car camp somewhere outside Sedona as basecamp for some riding next month. Looking to avoid any sense of an organized campground. Any suggestions appreciated!
    This is a link ( Camping near Sedona? ) to a comprehensive post on primitive camping around Sedona. You will note there is a post from TD with a video he did of what many of the sites look like.

If you get a little grungy during your stay try and look him up and he will probably offer you a free hot tub adventure at the spa he belongs to.

mtbr member
    I suggest this thread
    Camping/ biking in Sedona??
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Camped out off the FR525 probably a good 10-12 miles off 89. Really nice views and no one really around.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Dunno how I missed that other thread but it has exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all!

banned
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Dunno how I missed that other thread but it has exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all!
    Now that you have your camping options figured out is there anything we can do to make your riding experience more enjoyable than what you are hoping for? For example are you looking for more of an uphill challenging experience or a downhill flowy experience?

hey, what the!
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    Now that you have your camping options figured out is there anything we can do to make your riding experience more enjoyable than what you are hoping for? For example are you looking for more of an uphill challenging experience or a downhill flowy experience?
    I'd like suggestions for downhill flowy trails, headed there next month for the first time, staying for 3-4 days or more.
    the beatings will continue until morale has improved...

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjahn View Post
    I'd like suggestions for downhill flowy trails, headed there next month for the first time, staying for 3-4 days or more.
    Most of Sedona is elevationaly neutral riding meaning up and down. BUT there are some mostly down riding if you are lucky enough to find some riders that are shuttling.

If you actually do end up in Sedona let us know a couple days in advance and we will try and talk some people into shuttling you around.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say thanks to those who have taken the time to post here and in all the other posts on Sedona camping and riding. Been here for three days now and have had a blast.

Camped out on FR525 after heeding the warning signs not to camp closer in to the Boynton Pass area. Good camping right at FR525 and Boynton Pass Road. Super clean, great views and only one other camper anywhere. Dunno how typical that is but very nice to avoid the crazyness of Moab camping (although I love the riding).

Day 1 - Got to the TR late in the day so rode a quick loop in the Boynton Pass area. Went in at Doe/Bear Mountain Trail and did Coclscomb Dawa, Snake, Anaconda back to Dawa Cockscomb, Aerie to Doe/Bear Trailhead. Good stuff. Not much technical but fun flowing MTB singletrack.

Day 2 - Back to Doe/Bear TR did Aerie to Mescal (awesome views and some tech), to Chuckwagon, Lizardhead, Two Fences (tech, nice), Girdner, Rupp Cockcomb (clockwise) to Aerie back to TR. For me, I'd HIGHLY reccomend that loop to anyone looking for some good views and a mix of just about everything that the Boynton area seems to offer.

Day 3 - Did some touristy stuff in Uptown Sedona and then headed up up 89a to refill on water. A local chick at an outdoor store (sorry, forgot the name) told me about a 5 foot high man made square river rock and cement column ~14 miles north of Uptown Sedona on the west side of the road right next to Pine Flat Campground that spews fresh spring water, perfect. Even the local Sherriff was filling up when we got there. On the way back down to Sedona I got a drop from my wife at Midgley Bridge and rode Huckaby south to the Huckaby TR. Fairly (~3 miles or so) short but great techy ride section. From there I met my wife and we rode from the Adobe Jack TR right off 89a between Uptown and West Sedona. Did a quick Adobe Jack, Power Line Plunge Grand Central, Crusty loop. Fun, easy and just right for a sunset cruise.

Day 4 (today) - Thinking of starting out near Little Horse/Bell Vista area. We'll see how that goes. Looks like some good stuff out there.

Day 5 - Dunno yet, looking for ideas?

Will be headed up to Moab at the beginning of day 6 to join some friends for some of the old standards up there but will for sure be back to Sedona again. This place has been great!

mtbr member
    Oh yea... and a thanks to the guys at Over the Edge Cycles. Picked up a Beartooth Publishing Sedona Core Trails map there and got some good recommendations from them on where to camp and ride. I'm sure the other shops in town are great too but they were very helpful.

I'll add that I've been jaw dropped at how well everything is marked out here. In the sections of trails that I've ridden so far it has been the best marked system I've ever ridden. Everyone here has been cool too, no BS attitudes. Thanks Sedona, we'll be coming back and spending our vacation cash in your town again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey; those comments are bang on. Wish same could be said for all mtb areas; They can all learn from Sedona. Thanks to TD and OTE, Sedona is THE place; for everything.
    TS

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Day 5 - Dunno yet, looking for ideas?
    Looks like you haven't done the trails west of Bell Rock in Village of Oak Creek:

-Slim Shady
    -Made in the Shade
    -Templeton
    -Easy Breezy
    -HT
    -Hiline
    -Baldwin
    -and others...

Lots of ways to make a loop from these.

Enjoy!

-db-

mtbr member
    Ya db, rode those yesterday, Day 4. Started out at the Little Horse TH, Rode Bell Rock Pathway to Bail to Lama to Baby Bell with my wife. She headed back to the van via Bell Rock and I rode Phone Rang to the single track bypass down to the Bell Rock Vista TH. Crossed 179, climbed up Slim Shady to Hiline to Baldwin. At the Baldwin Hiline intersection I went left but the Hiline re-rout that was back there was uncharacteristically poorly marked. I looked around for a while and gave up and headed back to the Hiline Baldwin intersection and headed toward Templeton. Took Templeton back to Slim Shady down to Made in the Shade. Back up and over Made in the Shade back to quick sections of Slim Shady, Coconino, Templeton, Easy Breasy to HT and back to Bell Rock to the TR.

Couple things for those interested in riding this area... IMHO, it has some of the most fun techy riding I've found anywhere, period (including Moab, Fruita... etc). 95%+ is rideable for stronger riders and for the super gnar probably 100% but you'd better be bringing your A game, especially on the descent off the NW side of Hiline. Pretty high pucker effect up there. Templeton and Made in the Shade offer some really fun climbing problems. Multiple repeated moves, shelves, switchbacks, etc., really fun.

This area in general seems to offer the opposite side of the riding spectrum from the Boynton canyon area which is mostly flowing with only a little in the way of technical stuff. Of course, the views from both areas are amazing so you can't really go wrong in either way there.

Huffy Rider
    There are a few of us riding Hiline loop tomorrow (Fri) in the VOC if you care to join.

Ooops, just read the above, you just rode this......
    Last edited by motochick; 10-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Day Ė 5 Started out at Old Post TH. Rode Old Post all the way around to Bandit, up to the Airpost Loop Trail. All the way around the Airport loop trail dodging hikers, basketball sized volcanic rock, tire thin exposed moves, prickly pear cactus and red rock shelves finally making it back to Bandit down to Ridge to Carrol Cyn Trail back to the van at Old Post TH. Shorter than I wanted to make it and would have rather done Ridge tral all the way down to Crescent Moon area and back home via Ramshead but had to get on the road to Moab by 1pm or so.
    Airport loop is different but every bit as rowdy and exposed when compared to Hiline with a few very specific gnar sections on Hiline. if youíve ridden Hiline you know what Iím talking about, if not go ride both and youíll know what I mean.
    A final note, Iím stunned at how good everything has been. The town was cool without being too touristy and having lived in Breckenridge CO for 10 years I know what that means. The camping was easy and very clean for BLM/FS lands. The shops were cool and the trail signage was ridiculous! I wish all the places Iíve gone were even close. I rode the entire 5 days with one good map and got to ride just about everything I wanted.
    Signing off to points north. Thanks again Sedona. Every day was better than the previous. Thanks to several of you who reached out to include me in your rides either in PMs or posts here. Sorry I couldnít make those rides work. When I come back Iíll be hitting you up to ride these trails with those who know them best to see what juicy bits I might have missed.

Later...