Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,079

    Camping Lynx Lake, Prescott Arizona

    Hello Arizona forum.

    In a few weeks we will be camping at Lynx Lake in Prescott, and I am wondering about trails that directly connect to the campground. If anything I will probably just goof around with my son on his Balance Bike (he is 2 years old). From what I see on the strava Heat map there looks to be plenty of riding there.

    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#14.39...51593/hot/ride

    Any tips?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,031
    There's no riding in Prescott, just move along. Stick to Calavera. Think of all the gas you'll save.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    254
    great riding out there. trail 305 is fast and fun, and you can connect to some other good trails as well. trail 62 ( aka ranch ) is one of my favorites. Take 62 all the way to senator highway and ride it as an out and back is a really good ride. Probably around 20-25 miles but really fun!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,414
    Lots of decent riding around there. Tr 305 is easy to connect to since it weaves through the campground. Connects to 62 at the USFS parking lot near Costco at the north end and the Smith Ravine Tr at the south end. Those two trails can be joined to 305 to make a 20 mile loop. 62 runs about 9 miles to Senator Hwy and connects to the Circle Tr. at about mile 3. Smith Ravine is the most technical trail in the area. 62 has the best views. 305 is the shadiest if it's a hot day. All of them are fun and worth doing. Salida Gulch is another a fun 4 mile loop in easily reached from the campground. Lynx Lake Cafe has pretty good food and cold beer. Cuppers next to Trader Joe's for espresso and bistro fare. Enjoy!
    Veni vidi velo!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,475
    I use trailforks.com for my ride mapping, but from Lynx lake you can connect to anything in Prescott. In fact you can on dirt connect to every trail the city area has to offer. Of course some are 20 miles away, but you can ride there. 305 is good as an out any back, but will connect. 62 is really good to and 307 has some nice chunky bits. you can get there on dirt with a connector between that that 297.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  6. #6
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,079
    Thanks guys! I am not sure how much time I will have for riding, but I am certainly going to try.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  7. #7
    Low speed, High Drag
    Reputation: kevhogaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    911
    We stayed at Lynx Lake last year during the Whiskey. Plenty of riding right from the campground. 305 runs right through it!!

    The stuff right around the campground, is pretty tame. Hang a right, and you can head over to trail 62. Hang a left, and it's more technical, and your boy probably wouldn't enjoy it too much!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

  8. #8
    IPA tester
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,023
    I rode 305 and Salida Gulch (T95) this afternoon. Fun trails.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

  9. #9
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,758
    I have always liked bagging Spruce Mountain out of lynx Lake. Smith Ravine is one of my favorite Prescott Trails.

  10. #10
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,079
    I was able to get in 2 solo rides and 1 short one with my 2 year old. Here are the rides I did:

    305 up from Hill Top Campground to the Smith Ravine. I only got about a mile into smith before I turned back, we had some dinner plans to get to.
    https://strava.com/activities/1672503133

    Then on Sunday I had planned to try and ride from Hill Top all the way to my sister-in-laws house at Pronghorn Ranch, but severely misread how long and how much climbing was involved in Trail 62, so I had my wife pick me up at the AM/PM by Costco before we drove home. I loved that loop trail, but was not expecting so much climbing and that took away all the time I had to go down Sundog and around Iron King towards Pronghorn.
    https://strava.com/activities/1674892460


    I do have one comment on the trailforks rating of Smith Ravine. Does that trail actually get more technically harder past the first mile? It is rated as a Black Diamond, but the only thing hard about it was the steepness of the incline. Technically speaking it was easier than most of the 305. The 305 actually had rocks and roots to navigate.

    Overall I loved the riding there in Prescott, awesome trails, great scenery and we had some decent weather, was only 91 degrees when I climbed Trail 62, could of been worse I guess. ;-)
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I was able to get in 2 solo rides and 1 short one with my 2 year old. Here are the rides I did:

    305 up from Hill Top Campground to the Smith Ravine. I only got about a mile into smith before I turned back, we had some dinner plans to get to.
    https://strava.com/activities/1672503133

    Then on Sunday I had planned to try and ride from Hill Top all the way to my sister-in-laws house at Pronghorn Ranch, but severely misread how long and how much climbing was involved in Trail 62, so I had my wife pick me up at the AM/PM by Costco before we drove home. I loved that loop trail, but was not expecting so much climbing and that took away all the time I had to go down Sundog and around Iron King towards Pronghorn.
    https://strava.com/activities/1674892460


    I do have one comment on the trailforks rating of Smith Ravine. Does that trail actually get more technically harder past the first mile? It is rated as a Black Diamond, but the only thing hard about it was the steepness of the incline. Technically speaking it was easier than most of the 305. The 305 actually had rocks and roots to navigate.

    Overall I loved the riding there in Prescott, awesome trails, great scenery and we had some decent weather, was only 91 degrees when I climbed Trail 62, could of been worse I guess. ;-)
    Yes, all the tech on Smith R is after the first mile heading up. I've always ridden it downhill. All the tough spots are short, punchy, rocky, climbs in an otherwise downhill run. Going up I suspect the difficulty is the steepness of a couple sections and some very loose rock gardens near the top. One day soon I'll check that out. Glad you enjoyed your time there.
    Veni vidi velo!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,475
    I have ridden down smith ravine a few times. Plan to go up it Wednesday. Not much tech on the stuff you rode, but you will find more if you went over toe 307 on the other side of Mtn from Smith Ravine. My wedneday ride is planned for 305 from 62 TH, Up smith ravine (297) south to 307 loop. Back up that nasty climb/HAB then down 299 to 62 and senator Hwy and back up and down 62 to walker road.

    Basically this ride backwards.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/168177528#3913949251
    However that ride was before the re routed lower 62.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  13. #13
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,372
    Smith isn't very tech, but one of the funner descents around. There's a point where it comes near a road a few miles in and then its all downhill to the bottom. We built a few little kickers and jumps a few years ago, throughout the years it seems they have tried to keep these kind of going, but they are small features. The sustained descent is not tech. There are shorter sections up above that do have some rocky spots or roots, much harder to climb (but possible) than descend. The trail rating is over-rated IMO, probably more a function of someone's fitness for climbing rather than descending, still, one of the better descents around Prescott, along with 40, Spruce and Wolverton.

    I'd have trouble calling anything in the forest "black diamond", maybe Granite Basin along the creek, there are some definite tech moves with some hard rock consequences if you fall, maybe 333?. Some of the newer trails like the Badger Mtn go much further in the opposite direction, being completely devoid of any tech or jumps. It's always relative though. Black Diamond in Washington is way beyond anything around Prescott and in BC it's stepped up even more.

    One thing to expect in Prescott, especially on the older trails, is massive vertical without much horizontal. You can easily go spend 4-5K of vert for 15-20 miles of riding. Fun ride is to ride up 305, Smith, then ride to the top of Spruce, do the 307 loop, then ride back down to Smith, ride back out 305. Can make it a little bit more gravel-grindy and stretch it out with some nice cooler higher alt temps if you ride 305, then ride to Walker and keep going to 377, ride up 377 to 307 and do the remaining 307 loop and back down to Smith and 305.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  14. #14
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,079
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Yes, all the tech on Smith R is after the first mile heading up. I've always ridden it downhill. All the tough spots are short, punchy, rocky, climbs in an otherwise downhill run. Going up I suspect the difficulty is the steepness of a couple sections and some very loose rock gardens near the top. One day soon I'll check that out. Glad you enjoyed your time there.
    I noticed that it starts at a fireroad and suspected some might shuttle that.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Basically this ride backwards.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/168177528#3913949251
    However that ride was before the re routed lower 62.
    That is one heck of a ride, I am not in shape for that kind of beast mode stuff.

    I did notice that Trail 62 and the Badger Mountain trail all seem to be very new. Why was 62 re-routed, and was Badger a recent edition? Both trails could use a bit more compaction. Badger was a blast to ride down, I enjoyed the way the trail used gravity to help slow you so brakes were not needed as much. This was good because my rear brake pads were gone at the end of my first day of riding, I had meant to replace them sooner, but failed to do so, so my entire second day I only used the rear if I needed to panic stop, so the entire decent was front brakes only, doable, but not my style.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Smith isn't very tech, but one of the funner descents around. There's a point where it comes near a road a few miles in and then its all downhill to the bottom. We built a few little kickers and jumps a few years ago, throughout the years it seems they have tried to keep these kind of going, but they are small features. The sustained descent is not tech. There are shorter sections up above that do have some rocky spots or roots, much harder to climb (but possible) than descend. The trail rating is over-rated IMO, probably more a function of someone's fitness for climbing rather than descending, still, one of the better descents around Prescott, along with 40, Spruce and Wolverton.

    I'd have trouble calling anything in the forest "black diamond", maybe Granite Basin along the creek, there are some definite tech moves with some hard rock consequences if you fall, maybe 333?. Some of the newer trails like the Badger Mtn go much further in the opposite direction, being completely devoid of any tech or jumps. It's always relative though. Black Diamond in Washington is way beyond anything around Prescott and in BC it's stepped up even more.

    One thing to expect in Prescott, especially on the older trails, is massive vertical without much horizontal. You can easily go spend 4-5K of vert for 15-20 miles of riding. Fun ride is to ride up 305, Smith, then ride to the top of Spruce, do the 307 loop, then ride back down to Smith, ride back out 305. Can make it a little bit more gravel-grindy and stretch it out with some nice cooler higher alt temps if you ride 305, then ride to Walker and keep going to 377, ride up 377 to 307 and do the remaining 307 loop and back down to Smith and 305.
    Those kickers are still there, I hit one of them, but having no rear brakes I was trying to be cautious.
    Yeah I did not want to offend anyone, but the 305 was "harder" or more technical than what I saw of Smith Ravine. But this was my first time riding in Arizona so I was not sure what the standards are, There is a difference between Black Diamond at Big Bear in Socal and Mammoth in Central Cal. Mammoth Black Diamonds are a step above Big Bear Black Diamonds in difficulty.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  15. #15
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I noticed that it starts at a fireroad and suspected some might shuttle that.



    That is one heck of a ride, I am not in shape for that kind of beast mode stuff.

    I did notice that Trail 62 and the Badger Mountain trail all seem to be very new. Why was 62 re-routed, and was Badger a recent edition? Both trails could use a bit more compaction. Badger was a blast to ride down, I enjoyed the way the trail used gravity to help slow you so brakes were not needed as much. This was good because my rear brake pads were gone at the end of my first day of riding, I had meant to replace them sooner, but failed to do so, so my entire second day I only used the rear if I needed to panic stop, so the entire decent was front brakes only, doable, but not my style.



    Those kickers are still there, I hit one of them, but having no rear brakes I was trying to be cautious.
    Yeah I did not want to offend anyone, but the 305 was "harder" or more technical than what I saw of Smith Ravine. But this was my first time riding in Arizona so I was not sure what the standards are, There is a difference between Black Diamond at Big Bear in Socal and Mammoth in Central Cal. Mammoth Black Diamonds are a step above Big Bear Black Diamonds in difficulty.
    Smith is basically like 305, but steeper for the most part (real elevation gain). Towards the top there are a couple small rock gardens.

    AZ varies wildly. Prescott doesn't have much "black diamond" terrain in the forest, there are a few exceptions and if you know where to go, you can still get some fairly legit stuff, but again, not like WA. Trail 333 is a very new trail that is an example of using natural terrain and rocks, does a nice job of going over and through rocks with b-lines and options. Wolverton is a nice descent and a bit rocky with a few option-lines if you really keep you eyes out. A few bigger jumps exist off some of the older trails around Goldwater Lake.

    Of course, there's always The Dells. Not "trails" in the traditional sense and pretty hot this time of the year with little coverage, but fun to go out and ride and do tech stuff on. I like having my tech mixed up with a lot of vertical, shade and bigger rides/speed, but these are legit and a nice change-up.

    Sedona is much different, there's legitimate tech there and the trail-ratings are much closer to what I expect. There's stuff there with big drops, alt-lines, super-steep rolls, all sorts of stuff to keep you interested.

    Flagstaff has some legit tech too, generally some bigger features on the DH/freerideish trails, speeds are generally faster with more vertical. Real fun spot, but some of the better trails are fairly well hidden and kept on the down-low.

    South Mountain has tech as tech as you want to go. It can be a different world down there and what many people think is "rocky" has no bearing on how rocky and tech it is. I remember more than once we'd get people showing up for shuttles from out of the state that assured us they were good with rocky tech terrain. Then they'd poop out a few shuttles later with injuries, damage, or just a lack of will/skill. Bring your A-game for the trails there, although National to BV gives you a pretty good taste without getting you too far out there where less people tread and the trail gets rougher.

    I'd say there are no real standards across AZ for sure. There's fun stuff in almost every corner of the state, a lot of good stuff that doesn't get ridden by the majority of the riding population that stays close to Phoenix. Logistically, it's hard to get out of a big city every weekend and many of these areas are fairly spread out, so it's not a riding-destination thing necessarily either, but Flagstaff, Sedona and Prescott kind of make up a trifecta that can be well worth it, especially in the Spring/Fall and in the other seasons at least 2 out of 3 are good. Flagstaff for big vertical, some big DH trails, cool temps, alpine experience, Sedona for more up and down tech, great views, pounding out tech miles, Prescott for miles and miles of trails and the ability to link up many different riding areas into mega-huge rides, it's also kind of in-between as far as temp so nearly always good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  16. #16
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

    I'd say there are no real standards across AZ for sure. There's fun stuff in almost every corner of the state, a lot of good stuff that doesn't get ridden by the majority of the riding population that stays close to Phoenix. Logistically, it's hard to get out of a big city every weekend and many of these areas are fairly spread out, so it's not a riding-destination thing necessarily either, but Flagstaff, Sedona and Prescott kind of make up a trifecta that can be well worth it, especially in the Spring/Fall and in the other seasons at least 2 out of 3 are good. Flagstaff for big vertical, some big DH trails, cool temps, alpine experience, Sedona for more up and down tech, great views, pounding out tech miles, Prescott for miles and miles of trails and the ability to link up many different riding areas into mega-huge rides, it's also kind of in-between as far as temp so nearly always good.
    Agreed. Flagstaff is on the short list of places my wife and I would like to move to in a few years when the kids are a bit older.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    South Mountain has tech as tech as you want to go. It can be a different world down there and what many people think is "rocky" has no bearing on how rocky and tech it is. I remember more than once we'd get people showing up for shuttles from out of the state that assured us they were good with rocky tech terrain. Then they'd poop out a few shuttles later with injuries, damage, or just a lack of will/skill. Bring your A-game for the trails there, although National to BV gives you a pretty good taste without getting you too far out there where less people tread and the trail gets rougher.
    South Mountain black diamonds are like no others in the state. I remember when I finally was able to do most of National and thought I'd branch out to a few of the other trails. I thought I'd hike up Mormon (north) to see what it was like before riding down it. Heh, I never rode down it. That trail is a beast.

    One of my favorite vids to watch is Rob Drew descending it. He's the only one I've ever seen ride down it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_Z91tLBrs
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I did notice that Trail 62 and the Badger Mountain trail all seem to be very new. Why was 62 re-routed, and was Badger a recent edition?
    Trail 62 was crappy. Very steep straight up the hill type stuff and very loose rock. Perfect for water to drain down not so good to have an actual trail. Moto created years ago I believe. Badger was created as by pass to Boy Scout trail. Boy Scout gets forgotten because it steep and very rocky. Basically riding down a wash. It was part of the Prescott circle trail mostly because it was in the right place. However not really fitting in the type of trail they were doing for the circle. So Badger was created to make the entire circle more rideable.

    Having gone up Smith Ravine yesterday it tough because it is very steep in places. HAB in spots. So considering the are I would rate it black mostly for the steepness. Not for the tech.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  19. #19
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,079
    how new is the new 62 and badger trail? They look like very few rains have come to smooth them down. Were they cut in the last year?


    I liked trail 62 up, it was a solid grindfest but fully ridable the entire way. I would of hated the old trail 62.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    how new is the new 62 and badger trail? They look like very few rains have come to smooth them down. Were they cut in the last year?


    I liked trail 62 up, it was a solid grindfest but fully ridable the entire way. I would of hated the old trail 62.
    The Badger reroute was completed about a year ago and the lower portion of 62 about two years ago, as I recall. Some rain last summer, but not enough. Last 10 mos. have been very dry. 62 rides great both ways, and the upper portion of 62 (left at the Badger intersection) is a gem of flowy goodness with great views all the way to Senator Hwy. As JoeP said the old lower 62 was crap. Rode it once and never went back until the new trail went in. Some of the gravity oriented folks liked it though.
    Veni vidi velo!

  21. #21
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,372
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    South Mountain black diamonds are like no others in the state. I remember when I finally was able to do most of National and thought I'd branch out to a few of the other trails. I thought I'd hike up Mormon (north) to see what it was like before riding down it. Heh, I never rode down it. That trail is a beast.

    One of my favorite vids to watch is Rob Drew descending it. He's the only one I've ever seen ride down it.
    I don't quite agree with that, Mingus, Goat Camp, Tucson and even some of the stuff in Sedona. That said, SoMo is definitely a few steps up compared to what many people are used to.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  22. #22
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,372
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Trail 62 was crappy. Very steep straight up the hill type stuff and very loose rock. Perfect for water to drain down not so good to have an actual trail. Moto created years ago I believe. Badger was created as by pass to Boy Scout trail. Boy Scout gets forgotten because it steep and very rocky. Basically riding down a wash. It was part of the Prescott circle trail mostly because it was in the right place. However not really fitting in the type of trail they were doing for the circle. So Badger was created to make the entire circle more rideable.

    Having gone up Smith Ravine yesterday it tough because it is very steep in places. HAB in spots. So considering the are I would rate it black mostly for the steepness. Not for the tech.
    Little more description:

    The first part of 62 was crappy, fall-line climbs that washed out like crazy that were just no fun to go up or down. The end of 62 though was a cool twisting natural-halfpipe section that was just a real neat trail feature. It's too bad this wasn't included.

    Boy Scout is nowhere near as bad as 62 was, it's a fun trail with redeeming qualities. It may be one of the few "tech" trails around Prescott, but it's a good one to ride in the downhill direction for the challenges. It's not your spindly-rigid-SS bike type trail, although I know a few of those types that ride it. Starts a bit steep to get to the creek, but after that it just follows the creek more or less for most of the trail. This is a good break from the watered-down Circle Trail stuff, although there is eventually a little more tech if you follow the entire route around the city. Chris or someone makes sure there are a few helpers along the way to make stuff rollable on the trail. I did the circle trail two years ago with the Kona pro riders and they definitely weren't complaining.

    I think Joe may be a little confused, it's not Boy Scout that was created as a bypass, it's the new 62 that was created as a bypass. At that point, you pick your poison, Turley Trail is a lot of steep ups and downs that will help to wear you out faster. I haven't ridden the new 62, but I doubt it's anywhere near that, so if you are trying to make the route easier, the new 62 is possibly a good way to do it. Kind of hard to judge at that point though when you start from White Spar.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,414
    Joe had it basically right. The Badger reroute (Badger-Ranch Connector in Trailforks) and a small section of the new 62 work together to bypass Boy Scout and Turley. And the old 62 pretty much was a blown out old moto trail. In a word, crap. I still do Boy Scout on occasion, though, to mix things up. Never cleaned it though.
    Veni vidi velo!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I don't quite agree with that, Mingus, Goat Camp, Tucson and even some of the stuff in Sedona. That said, SoMo is definitely a few steps up compared to what many people are used to.
    True true, I agree with that.

    I just remember being a noob and hitting some of the easier black diamonds in the area and thinking I was ready for SOMO...woo, I was in for a rude awakening.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

  25. #25
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,372
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    And the old 62 pretty much was a blown out old moto trail. In a word, crap. I still do Boy Scout on occasion, though, to mix things up. Never cleaned it though.
    Yeah, but you could ride the halfpipe section up on the side of the walls. That part was fun (the rest was not). Was also useful to make a loop and come back on 297 and 305, but a shitty climb to be sure.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2015, 07:48 AM
  3. Prescott Riding - Near Lynx Lake - Advice
    By JoePAz in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM
  4. Prescott Circle Trail = Prescott loves MTBers
    By metalaficionado in forum Arizona
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 119

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.