Always in the wrong gear

Camping/ biking in Sedona??

Winter break is coming up and I really want to do some camping and biking up in Sedona or elsewhere. I know it's a long shot, but are there any areas to car camp with easy access to some fun trails? Like I said I'm not sure if this is a feasible idea, but if anyone has done it, I'd like to know.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    Winter break is coming up and I really want to do some camping and biking up in Sedona or elsewhere. I know it's a long shot, but are there any areas to car camp with easy access to some fun trails? Like I said I'm not sure if this is a feasible idea, but if anyone has done it, I'd like to know.
    Car camping is definitely possible out by the 525. Here is a video of what to expect (Primitive Sedona Camping - YouTube). There is a really fun ride close to there you might want to check out. Let me know if you actually make the trip and I will show you around.

TD

Always in the wrong gear
    Sweet! Thanks TD. I will let you know what ensues.

mtbr member
    Map:
    http://www.redrockcountry.org/maps/m...k-map-9-05.pdf

Anything outside of the shaded peach/pink area is open to dispersed camping. Best (scenic) area is on the the west side of 525 as far north as is allowable.
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Give it a crank
    525 is good for the west side trails, Beaverhead Flats Rd. for the south trails is good too.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Map:
    http://www.redrockcountry.org/maps/m...k-map-9-05.pdf

Anything outside of the shaded peach/pink area is open to dispersed camping. Best (scenic) area is on the the west side of 525 as far north as is allowable.
    44:

That map is way outdated as far as mountain bike trails goes. How about the Red Rock Fee area boundary, is that part correct in light of recent legal interpretation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    44:

That map is way outdated as far as mountain bike trails goes. How about the Red Rock Fee area boundary, is that part correct in light of recent legal interpretation?
    its the only map that outlines the legal camping areas that I can find. I only provided it for that reason. And yes it is up to date, but it does not have all the recent trails as you say... maybe you can provide a trail map for the op...

btw, you don't need a red rock pass to disperse camp... Only need the pass to park at areas that have facilities... So, if you ride from your campsite you don't need a red rock pass.
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    its the only map that outlines the legal camping areas that I can find. I only provided it for that reason. And yes it is up to date, but it does not have all the recent trails as you say... maybe you can provide a trail map for the op...

btw, you don't need a red rock pass to disperse camp... Only need the pass to park at areas that have facilities... So, if you ride from your campsite you don't need a red rock pass.
    I would be happy to provide an online map. I am in the process of developing a NEW Sedona mountain bike trail map in Google Earth for the more sophisticated smart phone and kmz file group to use in their high end gps devices. I think this new map is going to be a true competitor to the elite mapping companies like Bear Tooth and Emmet Barks, it should also compete well with the Cosmic Ray Fat Tire Book.

I am showing system trails as fat trail lines and user-built trails as narrower lines. all trails will have a TD trail marker rating between beginner (green), intermediate (blue), intermediate with some advanced (purple) and advanced to scary (red).

The attached kmz file is a sample of what I have got done so far and have been working on until I can get out and ride again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camping/ biking in Sedona??-cosmic.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by traildoc; 12-03-2012 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Camping and biking go great together. Consider renting a teardrop trailer to make is super simple. Old School Teardrop Rentals in Goodyear, Arizona

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolTD View Post
    Camping and biking go great together. Consider renting a teardrop trailer to make is super simple. Old School Teardrop Rentals in Goodyear, Arizona
    TD:

That is a great suggestion for people with rental funds. In fact my buddy who owns a $300,000 prevost motorhome was camped out at the 525 when a teardrop pulled up and camp next to his site. The owner was retired school teacher who was on the Great American adventure.

As to which person was living the dream better, that would make for an interesting discussion.

Always in the wrong gear
    Well I just bought a tent for a possible bike pack trip and I want to kind of get a feel for what I'm getting into. Plus I spent the money and really want to use it, so it gives me an excuse to get out of town and ride some new trails.

banned
    Well I just bought a tent for a possible bike pack trip and I want to kind of get a feel for what I'm getting into. Plus I spent the money and really want to use it, so it gives me an excuse to get out of town and ride some new trails.
    Coon:

I hope your trip turns out well. I want to throw you a safety net. If after one day you find it tooooooooooo cold at night you can try spending the next night in my motorcasa. Just a thought.

TD

Always in the wrong gear
    TD:
    Thank you for the offer, but I should be good. As long as its not snowing something fierce. I'm going to go for it. Two days and one night is the plan.

banned
    TD:
    Thank you for the offer, but I should be good. As long as its not snowing something fierce. I'm going to go for it. Two days and one night is the plan.
    77:

I always like to offer fellow riders a safety net and when they don't take me up on it I feel like at least I am trying to provide the best user experince for your hard earn working or trust fund dollar.

TD