slower than you

camera gear. how do you haul it?

been exploring my options for carrying camera gear while riding/skiing. i know there are lots of options out there. but i'm curious. what do you use? in a perfect world, i think the perfect pack would:

+ carry my dslr where i can get to it easily within a few seconds of stopping
    + have room to safely carry an additional lens or small video camera or some such device
    + have separate pockets for food and perhaps even a hydration bladder
    + be stable so as not to rock too hard at speed
    + have some external attachment points for stuff
    + have the smallest form-factor possible assuming all or most of the aforementioned parameters are included
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 08-01-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Give it a crank
    Sounds like a handlebar bag would work for your camera gear plus a small backpack for the tools/food/h2o stuff. You didn't mention a tripod, also something to consider.

No Clue Crew
    Not cheap but Think Tank products are top notch... This rotating backpack may be something worth looking at.

I can get my 1D, 70-200 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8 and 16-50 f/2.8 in the main compartment of the Speed Racer belt pack.

Take a look around their site. May be some other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    1 carry my dslr where i can get to it easily within a few seconds of stopping
    2 have room to safely carry an additional lens or small video camera or some such device
    3 have separate pockets for food and perhaps even a hydration bladder
    4 be stable so as not to rock too hard at speed
    5 have some external attachment points for stuff
    6 have the smallest form-factor possible assuming all or most of the aforementioned parameters are included
    Any of their bags will fill 1, 2, 4, 5. There are plenty of extra pockets although I do not believe any of them include a bladder pocket/sleeve. And many of their products come in multiple sizes to fill your needs. If you decide on something Think Tank let me know and I can get you a "code" for a free item, usually a flash card wallet or something like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by asin
    Damn... you're gonna cost me some money...

Clik looks like they have some nice gear.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Damn... you're gonna cost me some money...

Clik looks like they have some nice gear.

clik's got lots of cool stuff for sure. but i decided today to go with the camelbak hawg nv. should serve my purposes and meet my criteria fairly well.

thanks, all, for the advice!

mtbr member
    I have a new Canon SLR and I have been trying different setups on carrying this and a small helmet camera, and a small point and shoot camera all on my back. I didn't want to have a chest mounted bag because of loss of bike handling and didn't want to learn how to do crash avoidance with big camera on sternum. So I went with my usual pack, the wingnut which is good for carrying water, video, P&S, food, and jacket. But I am using a small padded Mountain Smith butt pack (Kinetic 2) to hold the SLR, which sits below the pack. I added a little more interior foam to hold the camera and so far its working good. It feels a little more bulky but carries the weight down low, off the shoulders. But there are two waistbelts, two bags, and I find myself having to decide if this next ride is a photo ride or a ride ride? So, this a not a perfect system, but I'm being cheap at this point.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Rocky I see you made your decision but you may want to check out dakine's photo packs. They got good reviews from users on pink bike and look very promising.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/photo-packs/sequence/

I use a Lowpro dryzone 200 or a Wal-mart back pack with a built in a water blader and gun foam I added. They Dryzone is too big and heavy but works great at keeping dirt and water out. It is completely waterproof. I've wakeboarded with it on to test. I wish I had the dryzone 100 instead. The back has worked very well and is crash tested. So far the gear still works.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Rocky I see you made your decision but you may want to check out dakine's photo packs. They got good reviews from users on pink bike and look very promising.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/photo-packs/sequence/

I use a Lowpro dryzone 200 or a Wal-mart back pack with a built in a water blader and gun foam I added. They Dryzone is too big and heavy but works great at keeping dirt and water out. It is completely waterproof. I've wakeboarded with it on to test. I wish I had the dryzone 100 instead. The back has worked very well and is crash tested. So far the gear still works.
    those dakine bags are awesome! gonna head out with the camelback today, see how it works out. i'm optimistic. it's a neat bag, too.