How much further ???

Bulldog Canyon / Phon D Sutton Rd

I was just wasting time at work looking at google earth and thought of a possible route that would take me from the Ellsworth Rd enterance of Bulldog canyon over to Phon D Sutton Rd and down to the Wolverine entrance. I thought this might be a good "road" riding / training mtb equivalent but I wanted to see if others have riden their bicycles in that area. I know its open to ATV's and 4x4 so Im not sure if it will end up being more or less dangerous than riding on the road.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Losing Ground
    Parts of Bulldog Canyon (jeep road) I rode were not fun. Rocky and relentless. I think I was on the other side of where you're talking about though; behind Pass Mtn. That doesn't mean I wouldn't go back though. There were some skinny, skinny horse trails and it's a beautiful area. Anything is worth exploring. Some day I will start at Bulldog near Pass and make my way to the Salt.

Losing Ground
    More to answer your question. Bikes can go faster than Jeeps on a real 4x4 road, and I don't think anything is more dangerous than road riding (because of the other party, of course). I would go out there with you.

I love bike!
    I'd probably be interested in riding out there too. I've heard from others that it's a very underrated riding area because most of it is jeep roads (non-singletrack) but has some really nice challenges and fantastic scenery. I've only driven the truck thru there from the bush highway entrance to the Ellsworth exit. Seemed promising for bike riding the little bit that I explored.

mtbr member
    Chollaball has done some riding back there, so he can prlly do a pretty good description.

Here is a blawg post from about a year and half ago: http://u2metoo.blogspot.com/2009/03/...n-mesa-az.html

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Here is a blawg post from about a year and half ago: http://u2metoo.blogspot.com/2009/03/...n-mesa-az.html
    Thanks for the info. That's it. I started at the other end off of McDowell (dirt rd, Wolverine entrance). Volleyball sized rocks w/ uncontrolled steering is right!

Yeah, this isn't a good training course for digging out the miles (at least for what I rode). This would be nice to ride when it's still hot (but not enough to kill ya), and then cool off in the river.

parenting for gnarness
    Phon D is all sandy, i would spin it with the dog or the kids, but no point in going out to ride there if you are looking for an mtb ride. The entrance to Bulldog off Ellsworth I havent tried in years cause the horses and atvs turned it into a sandpit. Bulldog down from McDowell is cheating. its an awesome ride out and back from Bush Highway to the tippy top and back down - takes about 2 hrs. Someday I'll try Bulldog through the Goldfields based on some of the scouting MtBikeAZ has done.

search my blog for Bulldog Canyon I have several posts on it with lots of maps and pics.