Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,671

    Brown's Ranch - let's build a knowledge base

    post up your best loops and gpxs.

  2. #2
    recovering roadie
    Reputation: dobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    512
    For anybody interested, I've uploaded a couple maps of that area to the Maprika app, as well as many others. You can download it for both iPhone and Android and it uses your GPS to show where you are on basically any map. Very useful for new areas like Brown's Ranch.

  3. #3
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,957
    My favorite loop from Browns Ranch:


    gpx here.

  4. #4
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,671
    Thanks MtnRidr for the gpx. Followed it yesterday, mostly good but could have done without the Corral trails. I liked the stiff climb at the end!

    I have ridden out there before, but following dtownmtb and before the system was completed. Jeff's routes blow it all away - he knows stuff back there that I could never find and is much more flowy, some natural lines, even good sections that were stuttered up by the motos but fun on a bike. I dont know if those social trails still exist, but incorporating them made the riding much more fun.

    The system itself has some fun stuff, I liked the areas around Cholla and Granite Mtn the best, and the climb up over Cone? mtn. The trails are not that flowy, however -- they meander, so except for the climb over Cone Mtn we never felt like we were riding with much purpose. It was fun, but missing something.

    overall I am curious to see how the trails will hold up. I enjoyd the light powder as it provided a lot of slough to let you fly through turns. Horses are going to pulverize a few of those trails, Corral I cant imagine remaining ridable in the future. The horse poop, and obvious places horses rode off trail were disappointing knowing the future effects they will have on the system.

    The TH - its nice, but I could do without it. The bathroom walls and floors are nicer than my house, i felt like washing my hands before i peed. Signage and posts every 100 yards on the trails were dumb. When our intrusion is so obvious and trails are made with bulldozers, it makes me even more frustrated we cant build some really nice flowy trails out there - the 'no building, its a Preserve' rings hollow. We rode pretty early, and most people i encountered were very nice (as per usual). But I noticed people stepping WAY the heck off trail when the trail was plenty wide enough to pass, not sure why. Dont typically see that in the McDs.

  5. #5
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    885
    Sadly, some of the best trails I took you on are now gone. And when I say gone, I don't mean just closed. They took their power equipment and trenched the old trails. That is the source of some of the angst from long time riders. If you go outside of what Nancy calls the "green zone", the old trails remain. However, they are not getting any traffic at all and are starting to get grown over a bit. At any rate, those are likely to go away once Scottsdale starts expanding the system.

    At any rate, the McDowell AES race is going to include some of the Brown's Ranch trails this year. Mostly on the new trails, but a little on some old. The reroute is mostly due to the BS going down in Hidden Hills. However, I think it will also be good to have people see this new area so they can form their own opinion.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    244
    Mine is the same as mtn rider. The out. Lying loop is good starting from the trail to the southwest and riding clockwise. Fast ride with some good miles and a nice view from the lookout about 2/3 of the way done

  7. #7
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,671
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    They took their power equipment and trenched the old trails
    its a Preserve, not a park

  8. #8
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,957
    A preserve with jeep tours running through it.

  9. #9
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    There are people actively working with the city trail planners on doing exactly this. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm optimistic we will have better flowing trails in phases two and three.

    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    When our intrusion is so obvious and trails are made with bulldozers, it makes me even more frustrated we cant build some really nice flowy trails out there - the 'no building, its a Preserve' rings hollow.

  10. #10
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,671
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    There are people actively working with the city trail planners on doing exactly this. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm optimistic we will have better flowing trails in phases two and three.
    Who?
    you already heard from some of the people who live there and sat on the planning committee.

  11. #11
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Who?
    you already heard from some of the people who live there and sat on the planning committee.
    I'm not going to post their names on a public forum, but I will email them a link to this thread and they can respond if they want.

    I again encourage you and others to get involved in the process. Despite previous experiences, activism is the best way for MTBR's get the type of trails we all want (yes I want better trails too).

    To limit your comments, opinions, enthusiasm and frustrations to just this forum is a waste. The people who have the power to design and build better trails are not reading this forum. But, there are ways to influence their thinking. It is a multi-step, bureaucratic, drawn out process, but it can be done.

    A very important step happens this week - the Preserve Commission meeting on the 7th. The published agenda has time for public comments and a discussion of Trail Standards.

    'Trail Standards' are the specifications that the City uses to dictate to the contractors how the trails must be built. You want flowing trails? Change the Trail Standards. If you want to have an impact on the next phase of the trails, show up at the meeting.

    BTW, saw your post about the horse dung. The equestrians are involved in the process. They show up at meetings, they let their positions be known, they influence.

    PARTICIPATE!

  12. #12
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,671
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I'm not going to post their names on a public forum, but I will email them a link to this thread and they can respond if they want.

    I again encourage you and others to get involved in the process. Despite previous experiences, activism is the best way for MTBR's get the type of trails we all want (yes I want better trails too).

    To limit your comments, opinions, enthusiasm and frustrations to just this forum is a waste. The people who have the power to design and build better trails are not reading this forum. But, there are ways to influence their thinking. It is a multi-step, bureaucratic, drawn out process, but it can be done.

    A very important step happens this week - the Preserve Commission meeting on the 7th. The published agenda has time for public comments and a discussion of Trail Standards.

    'Trail Standards' are the specifications that the City uses to dictate to the contractors how the trails must be built. You want flowing trails? Change the Trail Standards. If you want to have an impact on the next phase of the trails, show up at the meeting.

    BTW, saw your post about the horse dung. The equestrians are involved in the process. They show up at meetings, the let their positions be known, they influence.

    PARTICIPATE!
    Go for it. I'm not looking to argue with you, we have different opinions on meetings, and I sincerely hope you find success there. but I have seen enough BS already around Brown's Ranch, or Hidden Hills, to have much faith in Scottsdale's meetings. The last one I attended 3 yrs ago, the head of the equestrian reps stood up and said to the bikers "we don't like you". And was allowed to keep the floor. Kinda disheartening, huh? I wonder if anyone ever considered that equestrians get some of the largest concessions, and rarely if ever do trailwork - they have both the time and incentive to lobby public officials. Bikes fit where Scottsdale says they fit - its better than in some places, but hardly what it could be. In my limited experience with advocacy, you either are lucky enough to find a willing partner, or you aren't. Please do post up your impressions, I hope that I am proven to be 100% wrong.

  13. #13
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    Got it. I hope so too, but I may be wasting time. We will see.

    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Go for it. I'm not looking to argue with you, we have different opinions on meetings, and I sincerely hope you find success there. but I have seen enough BS already around Brown's Ranch, or Hidden Hills, to have much faith in Scottsdale's meetings. The last one I attended 3 yrs ago, the head of the equestrian reps stood up and said to the bikers "we don't like you". And was allowed to keep the floor. Kinda disheartening, huh? I wonder if anyone ever considered that equestrians get some of the largest concessions, and rarely if ever do trailwork - they have both the time and incentive to lobby public officials. Bikes fit where Scottsdale says they fit - its better than in some places, but hardly what it could be. In my limited experience with advocacy, you either are lucky enough to find a willing partner, or you aren't. Please do post up your impressions, I hope that I am proven to be 100% wrong.

  14. #14
    Si vales, valeo.
    Reputation: Warshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    277
    What app do you all use for this? (If it makes a difference, I am using an Android phone currently.)
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

  15. #15
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,400
    I use a gps....it's a novel tool for capturing geospatial data and producing an accurate file format that is standard for all users.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az3075's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    73
    I remember someone once posted a big GPX which included pretty much all the trails in the Browns' Ranch area. Could that special someone please repost?

    It would be nice to have while navigating that maze and this is a good thread to store it.

  17. #17
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    586
    here's one I did but I didn't get ALL the trail, I was too tired for the lower east half. Next time.

    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

  18. #18
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by az3075 View Post
    I remember someone once posted a big GPX which included pretty much all the trails in the Browns' Ranch area. Could that special someone please repost?

    It would be nice to have while navigating that maze and this is a good thread to store it.
    I keep forgetting to bring my GPS out there, so this is not complete. But it has most of the trails. Plus a bonus trail from Brown's out toward Tom's Thumb. That was as of Jan 1, so it may go all the way to the Thumb by now.

    Browns_ranch_network.gpx

  19. #19
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    OK, we've been working on this since November. X-posted here because this is important to the future trails at Brown's Ranch. We are the communications conduit to the City of Scottsdale.

    Announcing the Desert Foothills Mountain Bike Association

  20. #20
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,957
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I'm not going to post their names on a public forum, but I will email them a link to this thread and they can respond if they want.

    I again encourage you and others to get involved in the process. Despite previous experiences, activism is the best way for MTBR's get the type of trails we all want (yes I want better trails too).

    To limit your comments, opinions, enthusiasm and frustrations to just this forum is a waste. The people who have the power to design and build better trails are not reading this forum. But, there are ways to influence their thinking. It is a multi-step, bureaucratic, drawn out process, but it can be done.

    A very important step happens this week - the Preserve Commission meeting on the 7th. The published agenda has time for public comments and a discussion of Trail Standards.

    'Trail Standards' are the specifications that the City uses to dictate to the contractors how the trails must be built. You want flowing trails? Change the Trail Standards. If you want to have an impact on the next phase of the trails, show up at the meeting.

    BTW, saw your post about the horse dung. The equestrians are involved in the process. They show up at meetings, they let their positions be known, they influence.

    PARTICIPATE!
    Bump to remind anyone who can make it today to go the 5pm meeting, it's at Pinnacle Peak & Pima.

    http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/d...-14_Agenda.pdf

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM
  2. Brown's Ranch Trailhead
    By Phillbo in forum Arizona
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
  3. Post up your root bear brown Travis Brown Trek 69er SS.
    By Mountain Cycle Shawn in forum Trek
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM
  4. How much base is considered a good base?
    By string_wise in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •