parenting for gnarness

Brown's Ranch group ride - Friday afternoon

I have the afternoon off, weather should be good and wet woohoo! Anyone want to ride, meet at the BR TH at 12:15.

mtbr member
    Have you checked the forecast? It looks like rain.

livin' the dream......
    Too early for me!! Won't be out of the office by then...........enjoy if you go!!

74 & 29 pilot
    I would but I have a Pivot LES to build. Once it's done, that's where I'm going!! May not make it out there until Sat morn.

Why don't you lead a posse to patrol for horse people tearing up the damp trails.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Meatbomb
    Don't ride those trails wet...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Don't ride those trails wet...
    Wasn't there just some ranting going on about the trail damage recently done out there. Bikes are ok after rain but horses aren't? Bikes damage trails too. I don't know, seems hypocritical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Wasn't there just some ranting going on about the trail damage recently done out there. Bikes are ok after rain but horses aren't? Bikes damage trails too. I don't know, seems hypocritical.
    Kinda does.....

However, the last rain (if I remember) was 2+ days long with ~1in or more. So far it been 0.04in......so it might be OK to ride.

Also, most of the trails can handle a little moisture. The ones that got real beat up were the Upper Ranch Trail and Brown's Mountain Trail on the north of Brown's Mountain....136th St. Express....and the Whiskey Bottle Trail (mostly the part that skirts Fraesfield Mountain).....

So use your brains out there.

My other ride is your mom
    I don't know....I think if you took a gaggle of fat bikes out there after a good rain, you could perhaps rehab the horse-banged trails out. Seriously, I rode the AES McDowell long course last weekend and was ABSOLUTELY appalled at the damage done by horses. On a full squish, it was painful in places to ride because of the sticatto bumps created by postholing. The only place I've ridden that was worse was Anderson Mesa which is essentially a cattle feeding area....and as I was riding the Browns ranch area last weekend, all I could think of was Anderson Mesa on the Coco250 route. I usually don't gripe about this crap because it's all part of overland, long distance riding. However, when taken into context, Browns Ranch being touted as a destination ride.....I was very disappointed that the trails were destroyed by a very small user group after such a short time following the official opening. I personally will not be back to ride that area until I have to for a race....and that's a shame because of the beauty out there.

As for riding in the rain....stop being pussies and just do it. Unless you're sinking in, you're not going to do damage.....and in this specific case, you'll be doing the trails a favor in my opinion.

The Next 100 Miler
    The Brown's ranch trails are still very fresh and soft. They haven't had the years of rain, dry and heat cycles to compact. Please stay off of those trails today and maybe even tomorrow.

If we want the equestrians to stay off, we should stay off. We point at them, the hikers point at us, the equestrians do whatever.

It helps our credibility with the City, regarding future trail development, if we are good citizens.

The older trails at P&D should be fine for a ride and the AZ Meetup group has one scheduled there at 3:00 today.
    Desert Foothills Mountain Bike Association - Join Today!
    IMBA Chapter serving the communities of the North Phoenix Valley

74 & 29 pilot
    MAN, some of you people sure don't know how to spot sarcasm. "WHAT, WHAT, WHAAAAAT!"

It's pretty sad we have to remind people not to ride wet trails with puddles, but there will still be a few that will go out there and leave all the signs of their presence.

I do agree with Maad though, a gang of "Fat" bikes would do some good for that place while the trails are soft.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

parenting for gnarness
    got my rigid bike ready last night! almost time to go tear up some tracks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Found my new ride. Surely this shouldn't damage the trails too much.

Name:  ha.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  109.7 KB

The Next 100 Miler
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    got my rigid bike ready last night! almost time to go tear up some tracks!
    I may be slow, but not that slow.
    Desert Foothills Mountain Bike Association - Join Today!
    IMBA Chapter serving the communities of the North Phoenix Valley

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    MAN, some of you people sure don't know how to spot sarcasm. "WHAT, WHAT, WHAAAAAT!"

It's pretty sad we have to remind people not to ride wet trails with puddles, but there will still be a few that will go out there and leave all the signs of their presence.

I do agree with Maad though, a gang of "Fat" bikes would do some good for that place while the trails are soft.
    sod roller. you should have seen how amazing it made McPump thanks to KennyB after the last rains.

parenting for gnarness
    oh i shredded it! was throwing up spray like a powder ganstah in the berms, and laying skids 25 feet long down the flats. 'merica f***yeah!!!

livin' the dream......
    Speaking of fat bikes, I rode out there 2 weeks ago, and hit some of the 'old' stuff out there, sections I have never been on before. Some it took me up a sandy wash that was okay on my bike, but would have been a hoot on a fat bike. You could have a whole network of wash trails that are purposed for fat bikes, use the regular trails as connectors!!!

I'll bill the COS for my consultant fee.......

Shovel Ready
    I needed a mouth piece too not chip a tooth today when riding the north section of the Corral Trail. No need to open the horse damage can of worms again. But it had never crossed my mind that I would need my Knolly to ride those trails.

Still a great time. Just wish there was a balance on keeping the damage down.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.