Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go Speed Racer

Broke my Night Riding Cherry...

Wow, that was an experience! Decided to ride a nearby trail that I know well, and decided to ride there from my house... Hate to admit it, but I went down hard on the green belt (sprinklers were on and I came around a corner pretty fast, and the sidewalk was like ice), anyway, after I shook that off that fun slip and slide trip on the pavement (thankfully no one was around to witness that mess) I was on with my ride. Got to the mountain with about 20-30 minutes of daylight left (planned it that way to make sure the light worked as expected - if it didn't I wouldn't be too far from home in the dark).

Anyway, wow, I am hooked. Even though it was still over a hundred degrees, it sure did not feel like it. Not having the sun beating down on you sure makes a HUGE difference. What I was most surprised by was all the sounds I heard. Bugs, animals, and the sounds of the city all seemed to be amplified. I could hear people talking in their backyards. Crazy stuff. Having the trail all to myself was a bit eerie, but I liked it. Once I got to the top, I noticed a vehicle with flashing lights (looked like po-po, but hard to tell), locking up all the gates. At that moment, I wondered, hum, I am sure he sees this 700 lumen light up here on top of the mountain, and I am not sure I am supposed to be here. I was expecting for him to be waiting for me at the gate, but nope when I got to the gate there was no one there. Heading down the trail was a completely different experience, I had to pay WAY more attention to the trail and my speed, this will surely make me a better rider when the sun is out.

The feeling of being totally dependent on that light was a bit weird, definitely getting a second one and probably a small flashlight as second backup. Can't wait to head out again...

So, that gets me to the legitimacy of this night riding thing... I need to read up on the laws/rules I suppose, but has anyone been ticketed/warned about being out on the trails after dark? Should I even be posting this ?

My other ride is your mom
    No worries...ride on....once you become comfortable in the night, you will have the advantage over anyone who is not...to include Paul Blart. I've found night riding to be more mental than anything....we're accustomed to using our eyes to form our heuristic interpretation and response; and when that is severely limited, we're forced to use our lesser senses like aural, olfactory and others to fill in the picture. It's a complete trip to receive an experience of a trail you know well, in a completely different light wavelength.....it really alters what you perceive to be true sometimes.....you realize that absolute truth is hard for us to comprehend because we are always biased by our preferred sensory systems....limiting and minimizing our other modes for knowing.

mtbr member
    Riding Sonoran at night is no problem. I passed and even chatted with park rangers as they close up the gate for parking. The parking closes at dusk at the park, the park does not close - no problem since I ride from home.

I looked in to this Dennis. The places that don't want you ride at night will post PARK closing hours, not to be confused with parking. Most places like Sonoran, Deem Hills, etc. don't have park closing hours listed at all...so.............

I am Walt

Nice...night riding is such a different vibe...

Quote of the year, wiping out on the sidewalk!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Go Speed Racer
    Cool! This totally changes summer riding for me. Nice to have this forum o go to for advice and support. You guys rock!

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Yeah, definitely was not one of my better moments! Just made this all the more memorable for me

I am Walt

You hit on the key...it may be 115 during the day, but once that sun dips low on the horizon, it's bearable...

Night riding hint: Pack an oil can for the high point of your ride, then enjoy it under the moon, and bomb back to the cars...or home...

Been busted once, in the McDowell's a few years ago..."Hey, I think those loudspeakers are yelling at US...!!"

Ride more; post less...

Go Speed Racer
    Sweet idea! A brew at the top would have been so sweet.

mtbr member
    Kicks ass, doesnt' it?
    Robzona used to head up a Tuesday night Deems ride a few years ago before he moved from the valley. Maybe it's time to bring it back!
    If you can swing it, I definitely recommend a light on the bar and one on the head. Obstacles are easier to pick out with the different shadow lines.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Go Speed Racer
    Yeah, second light is ordered and on the way. Had this one on the bars and some of the switchbacks were a little sketchy!

mtbr member

Yup broke my night riding cherry on Saturday at fins, very cool!! Now I just gotta grow a big enough pair to ride solo at night and my summer will be all set

Black and Sticky
    Congrats on your first successful night ride, isn't it super! You get a whole different perspective on the desert at night, more critters out and about, beautiful sky, oh yeah not so hot! I would ride more at night but my wife is overly protective of my safety and doesn't like me going alone. And most of my riding friends wimp out and won't ride at night. Night riding is on my top ten list of fav activities. Have fun Dennis!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Meatbomb
    What trail were u on? Like Walt said the people in the Hidden Hills area have been know to report people on that side of the McD's at night but I have never heard of anyone getting hassled elsewhere.

Go Speed Racer
    I was riding out at Thunderbird Conservation Park (T-Bird). It is riding distance from my front door, so I do not have to worry about parking lots closing / etc... I will probably also add in some Deems and Sonora preserve rides as I get more comfortable, but will probably stick to T-Bird for now while I get settled in.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Dennis,

I used to be paranoid about the park rangers at T-Bird, but they never gave me any problem...though I never got close enough to them to discuss the issue haha. I could have swore one was waiting for me one time, so I just waited them out at the top of the amphitheater climb. In all reality, the guy was probably milking the clock =)

mtbr member
    Very cool dude. It's surreal at times, experiencing that kind of solitude so close to your house.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Hey Dennis,

I used to be paranoid about the park rangers at T-Bird, but they never gave me any problem...though I never got close enough to them to discuss the issue haha. I could have swore one was waiting for me one time, so I just waited them out at the top of the amphitheater climb. In all reality, the guy was probably milking the clock =)
    Cool, good to know! That makes me feel a little better about it. I was probably overly paranoid because it was my first time night riding.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    You can get pretty use to the night riding. I'd often hit up Mormon-National solo, just because I like the solitude and challenge. It can get pretty creepy out there, especially by yourself. I thought for sure one night I was being chased by ancient spirits as I heard some strange, weird howling laugh out there, nearby to boot. Totally freaked me out! That was a fast exit down National that night! Night riding is one of my favorite activities. All the trails seem different - puts lots more life into the same old trails.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aha, that's the real reason you rode the waterfall for the first time at night!

Always in the wrong gear
    A friend and I will be regulars at PSP:south on mondays for a majority of the summer. Hope to see you on the trail. This past monday the gate was closed early (7pm), we just parked at the community center and rode in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Yup broke my night riding cherry on Saturday at fins, very cool!! Now I just gotta grow a big enough pair to ride solo at night and my summer will be all set
    It's 100x safer on the trails at night than on the streets/sidewalks - crime and traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I would ride more at night but my wife is overly protective of my safety and doesn't like me going alone. !

Bob
    It's called life and disability insurance, don't leave home without it - if you got family to support.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Nice...night riding is such a different vibe...

Back when the Cactus Cup race was at west world, a buddy of mine and I were riding into the race. We had stopped for a drink and my buddy was riding carrying a 44oz big gulp. He wiped out and broke his wrist on the sidewalk trying to save his soda.

Thanks for the chuckle.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    A friend and I will be regulars at PSP:south on mondays for a majority of the summer. Hope to see you on the trail. This past monday the gate was closed early (7pm), we just parked at the community center and rode in.
    What time do you start? I know all those trails out there very well... Would love to join you guys for a few rides out there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    I think we might have crossed paths on Monday. I passed two separate groups of two riders on Monday. The first set was right on the road to the parking lot and the second was a couple of guys who just stopped right at the trailhead who I said "hi" to. I was solo and heading in... Must have been a little bit after 9PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast