Thread: Breathing

Blood, Sweat, and Gears

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Breathing

If I had to pick MY major weakness it would be my breathing that has had a frustrating effect on my stamina or lack there of. Stregth and technique are always a work in progress but I still find that I'm so winded after a sprint or long climb that if I don't stop to catch my breath I will probably pass out. I pant like a dog after some exertion. This has always frustrated me on group rides because others don't seem to get winded like I do or at least they don't stop as frequently. My heart rate is good and my physical condition is above average according to a recent physical as well as a recent visit to a Cardioloigist. I have expressed my frustration with this on here a few times and many of you have been gracious enough to pass along little tips that have really helped. I think one that was key was to make sure to completely exhale before drawing a new breath. I ran across this article that I found very helpful and I thought it may help others as well, if it's been posted before it may be worth a second look. I think the 1:2 rule really works!
    http://www.bicyclingbliss.com/chapter4.html
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    have you considered signing up for one of those birthing classes?

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch 1 View Post
    If I had to pick MY major weakness it would be my breathing that has had a frustrating effect on my stamina or lack there of. Stregth and technique are always a work in progress but I still find that I'm so winded after a sprint or long climb that if I don't stop to catch my breath I will probably pass out. I pant like a dog after some exertion. This has always frustrated me on group rides because others don't seem to get winded like I do or at least they don't stop as frequently. My heart rate is good and my physical condition is above average according to a recent physical as well as a recent visit to a Cardioloigist. I have expressed my frustration with this on here a few times and many of you have been gracious enough to pass along little tips that have really helped. I think one that was key was to make sure to completely exhale before drawing a new breath. I ran across this article that I found very helpful and I thought it may help others as well, if it's been posted before it may be worth a second look. I think the 1:2 rule really works!
    http://www.bicyclingbliss.com/chapter4.html
    THANKS for taking the time to post - I share your weakness and will plan on giving these techniques a try....

mtbr member
    Another good trick I learned a while ago is to tilt your head back slightly. It's very easy in a long climb to allow your head to drop forward and downward which makes air passageways "kinked". Tilting your head back slightly will straighten the passageways and make breathing overall easier.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Further to keeping airways open, having clear nasal passages makes a big difference for me. As one who battles allergies constantly, my need to play in the Arizona desert keeps me pretty plugged up a lot of the time.

Even if you do not suffer from allergies, clearing out the nasal passages now and then can make a hug difference. Looking into the Neti pot. It is a device used to run a saline solution through one's nasal passages. It is amazing how much this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Further to keeping airways open, having clear nasal passages makes a big difference for me. As one who battles allergies constantly, my need to play in the Arizona desert keeps me pretty plugged up a lot of the time.

Even if you do not suffer from allergies, clearing out the nasal passages now and then can make a hug difference. Looking into the Neti pot. It is a device used to run a saline solution through one's nasal passages. It is amazing how much this helps.
    Awesome, now I have an excuse to pick my nose in front of the SO. "But sweetie, I need it to breathe better .
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Awesome, now I have an excuse to pick my nose in front of the SO. "But sweetie, I need it to breathe better .
    good luck getting away with that one,,, i think just blowing a snot-rocket would be more publicly acceptable...

Blood, Sweat, and Gears

Barry, do you mean like an old fashion "farmer blow"? Or? I would be curious to hear the feedback on the Neti Pot as well?
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

Bloodied but Unbowed
    You don't need an excuse to pick your nose.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch 1 View Post
    Barry, do you mean like an old fashion "farmer blow"? Or? I would be curious to hear the feedback on the Neti Pot as well?
    Heh -- farmer blow. Funny.

Use of a Neti pot can just help keep allergens out of the nasal passages and in general help one to keep clear. Definitely can improve one's ability to breath by minimizing nasal obstruction due to inflammation or mucous.

mtbr member
    I find that on long hills, or even short climbs, my biggest mistake is remembering to breathe. I get to the top and realize I've been holding my breath to make a difficult climb. Just giving myself a conscious reminder to breathe deep makes the hills much easier. Just like learning to rest on the bike, it's an ongoing lesson I've been learning.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    3:2 (nose : mouth) is what I use whether Im running or riding. Just keeping it the same helps. Ive had a hard time lately before switching to a lighter bike with side cramps and keeping my core tight during nose breaths forced the air into my lungs and helped keep the side stitches from getting too bad. Relaxing the core during mouth breaths allowed the deep belly breaths.

No Clue Crew

Even if you do not suffer from allergies, clearing out the nasal passages now and then can make a hug difference.
    Different times of the year I get a little plugged up. A couple squirts in the nose of a Afrin-type product and I'm fine. A couple rides ago I didn't think about it and was having a much worse time breathing. So, I take a hit of Afrin before I ride and no problems...

Let me guess... you don't fart in front of her either? I do both freely... We make a game of it sometimes. The farting... not nose picking.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Different times of the year I get a little plugged up. A couple squirts in the nose of a Afrin-type product and I'm fine. A couple rides ago I didn't think about it and was having a much worse time breathing. So, I take a hit of Afrin before I ride and no problems...

Let me guess... you don't fart in front of her either? I do both freely... We make a game of it sometimes. The farting... not nose picking.

(Link)
    View more

Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery Quotes and Sound Clips

and
    Austin Powers Quotes and Sound Clips

dirt visionary
    I have found when I get that way its because I exerted too much in too short of a period ..Almost like getting too anxious to get up a climb. I have found that getting into the zone and a constant rythm but not mashing it allows me not to get that I can get air I am going to die feeling. When I get that right rythm and breathing pattern going I can go forever it seams. Well that is until I stop long enough to cool off which is a killer sometimes.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've been using a neti pot for years. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    good luck getting away with that one,,, i think just blowing a snot-rocket would be more publicly acceptable...
    But not personally satisfying.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    But not personally satisfying.
    Big time. I feel like I really accomplished something when I pull a big one out...