Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Control Freak

Brand New Rider in Gilbert

Hi everyone,

Just saying hello from Gilbert. As the title says Im brand spanking new (that doesnt mean i receive or give out spankings) to the world of MTB. I will be starting out slowly doing small 4-6 miles a day around my area but in about 3-4 months when hopefully my fat a$$ is in better shape I will be heading out to find some trails.

If anyone has suggestions that would be great...looking for suggestions on gear...pads for my shins elbows...and shoes....already have a bike. Giant VT1 used. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg
    Hi everyone,

Just saying hello from Gilbert. As the title says Im brand spanking new (that doesnt mean i receive or give out spankings) to the world of MTB. I will be starting out slowly doing small 4-6 miles a day around my area but in about 3-4 months when hopefully my fat a$$ is in better shape I will be heading out to find some trails.

If anyone has suggestions that would be great...looking for suggestions on gear...pads for my shins elbows...and shoes....already have a bike. Giant VT1 used. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Tim
    I'm from Gilbert too...I've ridden in Chicago but I'm brand spanking new (ditto to the not exchanging spankings lol) to riding in the mountains. Are you going to be riding street for a bit? If so I'd pick up a computer for it. Mine cost $20 and it tells you how far you've gone, avg speed, current speed, and calories burned. Hit me up if you ever want to ride...I'm itching to go

dirt visionary
    Well boys welcome to az check the visitor sticky and that will get you started on finding trails to ride.

I see bike upgrades in both your futures . That is if you plan to do alot of our AM type type trails which IMO is what 50% or more of them fall under.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

"No Clue Crew"
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mountain Biking...........Now be ready to sell everything you have in order to upgrade every part imaginable, yes even the valve caps!!!!!! You can shave .00000000000000000000000023 oz's by doing so!!!!..........Drew

How much further ???
    Hi everyone,

Tim
    Do you and DJake want to meet up either Friday after work or early Saturday at Hawes for a ride? Im no expert by any means and only started riding again this year after a long break but I have riden Hawes many, many times as it is one of my most favorite. I'd have no problem showing you around. There are several options out there and we can customize the route based on what everyone feels comfortable with.

I too am from the Chicago area. Moved out here in 06 from the Schaumburg area.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Control Freak
    I will be riding the canals and such for a month everyday for now. I am really out of shape. My wife is already complaining on the costs of bikes and equipment lol. My bike is in the shop having a once over and rebuilding the front forks. I wont buy a new one until I break this one in half. Shouldn't be hard with my 230 lbs on it.

Djake...I work crazy hours but plan to do street riding g in the mornings and maybe afternoons....but would like to hit the mountains on my days off which are Monday and Tuesdays. Think I will start out at usery and work up to pass mountain. I was told hawes is fun too but I have to look that one up. Not looking g to break records just get my sweat on and a good workout and learn a lot.

Any help on gear would be great. Allready have some good advice from everyone here.

Tim

Control Freak
    Douger can't do yet...bike is in the shop supposed to have it back next week....however then I would be more than willing to take you up on the offer. Always glad to learn anything from anyone.

Tim

I love bike!
    hatedg...The lower loops in the Usery system are a great place to start trail riding as is the McDowell Mtn Park trail system out in Fountain Hills. Most of Hawes is not too much more difficult, although there are some moderately technical bits you can get into a bit of trouble on. Once you get somewhat comfortable on Usery then Hawes is a great transition to more technical challenges. Would highly recommend getting fairly comfortable with Hawes before even attempting Pass Mtn as it is a very technically challenging trail system and can have some serious consequences if a mistake is made. Just get out and try some stuff as there are lots of options here in the valley. Happy trails

How much further ???
    Douger can't do yet...bike is in the shop supposed to have it back next week....however then I would be more than willing to take you up on the offer. Always glad to learn anything from anyone.

Tim
    Sounds good Tim. I was in your exact boat not too long ago so I know exactly where you are at. When I started riding again back in January I was 227 now Im down to 207 and was putting in 22 mile rides before the summer heat struck. Id be glad to go over your equipment with you and talk about what you might need, going forward. (sounds like your wife will not like me much). I have built my last two bikes myself and build my own wheels so I have a fair about of exprience with that and tools.

I think Usery is a excellent place to go for the first ride. The lower trails are very tame by AZ standards and a nice way to get introduced to the loose over hardpack and rocky terrain that is typical for Phoenix trails. There is not a lot of elevation up or down so its fairly easy on the cardio.

Pass Mt is fairly brutal in my opinion. When I was newb I thought it was impossible but now it doesnt bother me as much anymore but it is a good challenge. Very technical with a 3+ mile climb to start off. (heading CCW from Wind Cave TH). Id hold off on Pass for a little while.

I found Hawes to be a good step between the lower Usery trails and Pass Mt. You get comfortable cranking up cardiac hill and up the mine trail and feel good dropping down the back side of mine and the switchbacks on the saddle trail, as well as get comfortable with the modest exposure of the Ridge trial and Hawes, you will be good to go to tackle Pass Mt.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    hatedg...The lower loops in the Usery system are a great place to start trail riding as is the McDowell Mtn Park trail system out in Fountain Hills. Most of Hawes is not too much more difficult, although there are some moderately technical bits you can get into a bit of trouble on. Once you get somewhat comfortable on Usery then Hawes is a great transition to more technical challenges. Would highly recommend getting fairly comfortable with Hawes before even attempting Pass Mtn as it is a very technically challenging trail system and can have some serious consequences if a mistake is made. Just get out and try some stuff as there are lots of options here in the valley. Happy trails
    Great minds think alike.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    oh hell,, just throw him on national for his first ride,, i survived it

Control Freak
    Douger,

That sounds like a plan. I will shoot you a PM and we can chat bout the equipment I have. or dont have Thanks for all the information. Its nice coming into a forum and getting this help.

Longhairmike...dont set me up for total failure yet

dsittman...i will take that advice...

Thanks all.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Do you and DJake want to meet up either Friday after work or early Saturday at Hawes for a ride? Im no expert by any means and only started riding again this year after a long break but I have riden Hawes many, many times as it is one of my most favorite. I'd have no problem showing you around. There are several options out there and we can customize the route based on what everyone feels comfortable with.

I too am from the Chicago area. Moved out here in 06 from the Schaumburg area.
    I wish I could but I work til 6:30 on Friday and 8:30-2:30 on Saturday. I have Sunday off if you want to go then? I moved out here from the South Side (Orland Park area).

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Pads? Nah. Skin heals. Just bring needle nose pliers to pull the cholla out.

I second Pass Mt. lower loops for beginners or Papago to mix it up. Hawes does require some effort, but not too much. Pemberton when you want long, easy miles.

I remember hearing somewhere here that canal miles are like low grade hydroponics.....
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

ride more, blog less
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit

I second Pass Mt. lower loops for beginners or Papago to mix it up. Hawes does require some effort, but not too much. Pemberton when you want long, easy miles.

I remember hearing somewhere here that canal miles are like low grade hydroponics.....
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    Sounds good Tim. I was in your exact boat not too long ago so I know exactly where you are at. When I started riding again back in January I was 227 now Im down to 207 and was putting in 22 mile rides before the summer heat struck. Id be glad to go over your equipment with you and talk about what you might need, going forward. (sounds like your wife will not like me much). I have built my last two bikes myself and build my own wheels so I have a fair about of exprience with that and tools.

I think Usery is a excellent place to go for the first ride. The lower trails are very tame by AZ standards and a nice way to get introduced to the loose over hardpack and rocky terrain that is typical for Phoenix trails. There is not a lot of elevation up or down so its fairly easy on the cardio.

Pass Mt is fairly brutal in my opinion. When I was newb I thought it was impossible but now it doesnt bother me as much anymore but it is a good challenge. Very technical with a 3+ mile climb to start off. (heading CCW from Wind Cave TH). Id hold off on Pass for a little while.

I found Hawes to be a good step between the lower Usery trails and Pass Mt. You get comfortable cranking up cardiac hill and up the mine trail and feel good dropping down the back side of mine and the switchbacks on the saddle trail, as well as get comfortable with the modest exposure of the Ridge trial and Hawes, you will be good to go to tackle Pass Mt.
    +1

Usery great place to start off with and then Hawes. I would also throw in The Mcdowell Comp loops, not soo much technical but they are still a lot of fun to ride IMO. When spring comes around keep an eye out on the forums for AZ Spring fling good place to get your ride on and meet some people that love to ride. Also keep an eye out for Demos on here a great chance to try out and test new bikes on the trails vs. the parking lot. Other than that Welcome to Arizona I'm also in Gilbert but currently in Singapore till Sept. I've been off the bike for a few months and itching to take on some trails. BTW the canals are a good way to build up your cardio and to stay off the main roads until you start hitting the trails. There are a plethora of trails in the Phoenix area alone and once you start riding up in Flag, Prescott and Tucson you will realize what a great state this is for riding. Just remember to have fun and keep the rubber side down and post on here if you are planning a ride plenty of people would be willing to take you up on that offer.
    LURKER

Control Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit

HAHAHAHA gotta get the heart ready for it all....and the legs...and well crap..the entire body

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    MMMMMMMMMMM Pass Mountain.........Come on cooler temps.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by DJake
    I wish I could but I work til 6:30 on Friday and 8:30-2:30 on Saturday. I have Sunday off if you want to go then? I moved out here from the South Side (Orland Park area).
    So have you done a lot of riding in Palos? I did the majority of my riding up at Kettle Moraine on mostly the John Muir blue loop. Sunday works for me. Ill send you a PM.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    MMMMMMMMMMM Pass Mountain.........Come on cooler temps.
    I went a couple weekends ago for a loop...it was a bit humbling. Definitely not an easy ride during the dog days. Think I lost 10lbs.

mtbr member
    Don't forget the Santans are a great beginner place as well... they are just often overlooked. If you're in south Gilbert (like DJake), I would recommend the trails there to get a nice intro to desert riding. I would go with you this weekend but I have friends from out of town. Hit me up and we can all go riding together next week. Maybe we can do some night rides as well.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    Don't forget the Santans are a great beginner place as well... they are just often overlooked. If you're in south Gilbert (like DJake), I would recommend the trails there to get a nice intro to desert riding. I would go with you this weekend but I have friends from out of town. Hit me up and we can all go riding together next week. Maybe we can do some night rides as well.
    +1 on Santans. This park is in my backyard and I still forget to mention it all the time. Great beginner trail and continues to improve. I get out there occasionally to get in a quick spin and/or for a night ride. System is very popular with the horsey folks so make sure they're aware of you well before you approach on your bike. It's ok to communicate with the horse folks so everyone is safe. They're actually very pleasant people for the most part too

How much further ???
    Ive heard they eliminated all single track and the whole park is double track. Shame on them for doing that. Fore shame.........................

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I will be riding the canals and such for a month everyday for now. I am really out of shape. My wife is already complaining on the costs of bikes and equipment lol. My bike is in the shop having a once over and rebuilding the front forks. I wont buy a new one until I break this one in half. Shouldn't be hard with my 230 lbs on it.

Any help on gear would be great. Allready have some good advice from everyone here.

Tim
    Hey Tim,

What cross roads you close to? I hit the canals in the Gilbert area too. And pretty much an old new rider that could stand to lose a few lbs too.

Craig

I love bike!
    Ive heard they eliminated all single track and the whole park is double track. Shame on them for doing that. Fore shame.........................
    You heard wrong my friend. Lots of double track for sure (which I actually think are some of the funner DH sections)...but just as much singletrack too...well maybe one-and-a-half track

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast