parenting for gnarness

brake pad question from a crappy mechanic

Just changed out some pads, and i'm getting rub on the rotor - rotor and wheel are in good shape. I've got the pistons pushed in as far as i can, using the box end of a wrench as per the instructions. I was seriously muscling this and just cant get the pistons recessed anymore - they are not flush, but close. They are Hayes Stroker Carbons brakes. Is this normal, or is there something more I can do?

Thank you.

My other ride is your mom
    try resetting the calapir mounts......the brakes may have adjusted to the increased wear during your ride...and are now out of whack.

To do this.... loosen the two mounts, spin up the wheel after pushing the pistons/pads out to their fully open position....and then squeeze the brake lever slowly to stop the wheel....then put a death grip on the brake leaver....and tighten the mounts incrementally....a little here....a little there.....then repeat the spinning of the wheel followed by more brake leaver action...and more tightening. Do this until you are at full tightness on the mounts.

This should fix the issue.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    try resetting the calapir mounts......the brakes may have adjusted to the increased wear during your ride...and are now out of whack.

To do this.... loosen the two mounts, spin up the wheel after pushing the pistons/pads out to their fully open position....and then squeeze the brake lever slowly to stop the wheel....then put a death grip on the brake leaver....and tighten the mounts incrementally....a little here....a little there.....then repeat the spinning of the wheel followed by more brake leaver action...and more tightening. Do this until you are at full tightness on the mounts.

This should fix the issue.
    well even one as tragically unmechanical as i can get some knowledge crammed into his noggin! tiny bit 'o rub left from a tiny rotor bend. but i'm done messing with it for now. thanks man, guess i owe you another bottle of tequila.

I love bike!
    I pretty much follow the technique that MJ described but it seems like just putting a lighter squeeze on the lever while the wheel is spinning works better for me. Just put enough pressure on the lever to make the wheel come to a slowish stop and then tighten the bolts. When I use the death grip approach it seems like I always get just a little bit of annoying rub. I'm using Avid brakes though so YMMV. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I actually ended up having to use pieces of folded tinfoil between the frame and the mount on the rear. I was maxed out on my lateral adjustment and this helped a bunch. Plus nothing says high end like tinfoil.

Knollician
    If the pistons are not fully retracted, that means that you have too much fluid in the system. Loosen the bleed port on the lever (just enough for some fluid to come out), then reset the pistons. This will allow the excess oil to escape without having to bleed the brake. Be sure to put a towel around the bleed port to prevent the DOT from getting everywhere.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight