Saucy Size Moderator

No good Bontrager Jones AC 29er tire: Boo!

So I made the mistake of letting a hamfisted newb ride my beautiful and perfect 29er Explosif yesterday morning. In just a couple miles, this talentless hack had carved a nice hole in the front wheel's sidewall. The cut was accompanied by a noticeable bulge, so we quickly pulled the tubeless setup apart to re-tube it and get home.

Right around the sidewall cut, on the inside, I found about a 4" x 4" patch of thread had totally separated from the tyre (!) casing. Weird! I wonder if my super sekret spooge (tm) had done something to dissolve the interior, or if the Jones AC is just a meh tire.

I think I'll let CactusJoe off easy this time. He can pick up the breakfast burritos next time.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Kathleen in AZ
    Ha! Never let a newb like CactusJoe on your bikes!! When I first got my Salsa it had Bontranger Jones tires on it... I hated them. The ride completely changed for the better when I put on some WTB nanos. Use this an an opportunity to test out a new tire on your Explosif, although WTBs are not recommended for spooge (tm).

Saucy Size Moderator
    I think spooge is universally hated and feared by all tire manufacturers everywhere, except when it comes to their proprietary spooge. It's a racket I tell ya.

I'm headed out to Adventure Bike in search of a new front. The Nano, you say?

p.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    I think spooge is universally hated and feared by all tire manufacturers everywhere, except when it comes to their proprietary spooge. It's a racket I tell ya.

I'm headed out to Adventure Bike in search of a new front. The Nano, you say?

p.
    WTBs are rather loose on most rims which is why they don't work well for tubeless. I use slimed up tubes with my Nanos. If you want to stay tubeless I'd go with something else. The Rampage is my tire of choice right now and is working well in a tubeless setup on my Lenz, but unfortunately the Rampage won't fit on my dos Niner - I have the first year model which has very little tire clearance.

mtbr member
    I've run WTB WW's and Nanos tubeless for a few years. Nanos work great tubeless on Bontrager Mustang rims and the WW's have done great on my Arch and Flow rims for over a year and a half.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Saucy Size Moderator
    I like the Rampages on my RIP pretty well, but I was hoping for something narrower/faster for the SS. Which is probably dumb. So maybe I'll just stick with what I know.

Thanks for the heads-up re WTB! I had great luck with the Exiwolf, but that was on a ghetto filleted-tube setup -- probably took up the WTB slack. The wheel this is going on is yellow-taped.

p.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ignitor also works well tubeless and is pretty fast.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Paul, look at the Bontrager XDX. Tubeless ready = thick sidewalls. I think it'll be the first 29er tire I'll retire with worn tread, and not sidewall cuts.

The normal Jones tires are crap for AZ. I had two massive cuts, one of which was unfixable and led to a long walk.

Shovel Ready
    I'm sure I don't ride anywhere near the level of CJ. But I have been running until recently the ACX TLR Jones tubeless with no issues. Tire was small for my size but it worked. Rampages are great tires but had a bad experience running them tubeless, most have not but I did! Just put these on before I was told not to ride until I see a knee doc. Nice volume similar to the Rampage. Have not ridden them yet so I can't supply a plus or minus report. They got great reviews in the 29'er forum.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    So I made the mistake of letting a hamfisted newb ride my beautiful and perfect 29er Explosif yesterday morning. In just a couple miles, this talentless hack had carved a nice hole in the front wheel's sidewall. The cut was accompanied by a noticeable bulge, so we quickly pulled the tubeless setup apart to re-tube it and get home.

Right around the sidewall cut, on the inside, I found about a 4" x 4" patch of thread had totally separated from the tyre (!) casing. Weird! I wonder if my super sekret spooge (tm) had done something to dissolve the interior, or if the Jones AC is just a meh tire.

I think I'll let CactusJoe off easy this time. He can pick up the breakfast burritos next time.

p.
    I didn't want to say anything that might offend your sexually-ambiguous persona, but that tire is for skinny panzies. We are neither. Lesson learned.

True story: I had the 26 inch version on my Blur (won it at an MBAA race) for about 20 miles before I said to myself, "This tire is for skinny panzies, and soon, a 4x4 section of thread will likey seperate from the casing."

Seriously, next time I'll get the burittos.

Nothing like tire spooge on DC early in the morning with 3 men though. DC is giving T100 a run for the money...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Yeah...I had hoped I could get away with a 2.1/2.2 racy tire on that bike, but it's turning out to be a stoopid idea. Long live fatty fat fat tires!

p.

just 1 more
    According to Schwalbe fatties rule