Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bobcat on tne trail

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  zukicidal 
#1 ·
I was doing a solo night ride out towards Spurcross, when the trail descended into a wash I came up on a large Bobcat at a fast pace. After I locked up the brakes I was so surprised at what was before me I wasn't sure what I should do. The Bobcats head turned around to look at me and he seemed very unconcerned about my presence, as he slowly strutted of the trail. As I went by he glared at me from about six feet away behind a bush.

#3 ·
That's the same reaction I've had from the bobcats I've run into at Hawes.....look of disdain, they hold their ground from a distance, tip of their tail turning over and over which I interpret to be a pissed/playful sign.

Pic here was taken in my backyard about a month ago:

#4 ·
That's F'n crazy, Maad. I didn't know Bobcats were down here in the Desert. It's got the markings of a tiger, long legs and skinny; a desert breed I guess. I saw one in Prescott and it was more even-colored like a cougar, with a puffier coat.

I saw this on your blog, but as you said...'was a little cryptic'.

#5 ·
Maadjurguer, are you sure you didn't get some photos mixed up from the Phoenix zoo? That cat sure doesn't have the markings of a Bobcat, and the wall in the back ground with steel fence on top, must be 10 feet high. Although I have a neighbour who swears that a jaguar used to live in the wash next our house.

#11 ·
Had one in my front yard monday night. He had a stray kitten pinned under a prickly pear cactus that was in fear of its life. After a few minutes the bobcat lost interest and walked across the street. I took a pic through the screen, but it did not come out very well.

I have not seen the kitten since this incident, so who knows what happened.......

#12 ·
The markings on the cat in the first Bobcat photo, look more like a Lepard, especially from the middle tords the back, just my two cents, I obviously realize it is not a lepard. The second photo definitely looks more like a traditional Bobcat from what I've seen. I caught one a couple of times sleeping under my truck in the afternoon.

#18 ·
Maadjurguer said:
That's the same reaction I've had from the bobcats I've run into at Hawes.....look of disdain, they hold their ground from a distance, tip of their tail turning over and over which I interpret to be a pissed/playful sign.

Pic here was taken in my backyard about a month ago:

this is not a bobcat and you dont have a fortress for a fence

#20 ·
well if you actually took the picture and are not pulling a prank i believe you, but your fence could keep out all the 1070's and maybe border control could copy it lol

Ive seen quite a few in mesa as they lived next door and hunted rabbits in my yard on hawes none had any such markings down here and are way more furry. yours looks like a cheetah

#21 ·
airmiller44 said:
well if you actually took the picture and are not pulling a prank i believe you, but your fence could keep out all the 1070's and maybe border control could copy it lol

Ive seen quite a few in mesa as they lived next door and hunted rabbits in my yard on hawes none had any such markings down here and are way more furry. yours looks like a cheetah
I did take the pic and in my back yard.....you missed the part in the thread earlier when I said that the top of the cats whithers are at 15" off the ground....that fence is only about 6 feet tall to include the grates at the top....heres a pic zoomed out a bit to give you some perspective.

Attachments

#26 ·
Cahava rider said:
The Bobcats head turned around to look at me and he seemed very unconcerned about my presence, as he slowly strutted of the trail. As I went by he glared at me from about six feet away behind a bush.
I love when they just stop and look at you. It makes them so much easier to hit. That kitty looks just like the one hanging on my wall. I got him in Globe, except I called him in during a bear hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.