Tange your face
    Jul 2009

Blue Ridge Reservoir area trail questions

Heading up to BRR at the end of July. We are camping at the Rock Crossing CG and are looking at riding the AZ trail > Fred Haught>Houston Bros>General Crook>Fred Haught> AZ trail back to camp. Anybody ever do this? Looks like 40+ miles but only 1500' or so in gain. Looking at doing a bigger loop as well to include the U-Bar and barbershop.

Thanks in advance!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I've done all the trails except U-bar. Do you like HAB? You're going to get some. The AZT is really good up there, but there are 2 fairly substantial HAB's in each direction. Fred Haught trail is really nice as well, there may be at least one HAB in there. Half of Houston Bros trail is really nice, the other half is an up/down foray of drainage crossings, about 6 if I recall correctly. More HAB there as well. I've only done Barbershop W->E and it seemed a bit better than going the other direction, more HAB there too. Forget about riding the General Crook trail in that area, nothing there, only a few symbols on the trees, no trail on the ground. Just take the Rim Road (FR300) from the end of Houston Bros. back to Fred Haught.

I did a ride report on the Blue Ridge Passage a while ago. Here it is: Passage #28

Also did some bikepacking up on the Mogollon Rim last year, not sure if this would be helpful or not: Mogollon Rim Bikepack

Good luck & post up a ride report when you're back!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Tange your face
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, man! Looks killer up there.

Looks like you were there before summer. Was there much water? The ride I have planned looks to be 40+ miles. I am wondering about water. I have a filter, but if there is no water to filter.....

And how long were you guys out there?

Thanks again!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    We were up there at the end of July, definitely summer in these parts!! There is typically water in the small stream next to the Fred Haught trail, the section where it doubles as AZT down to the rim. The Blue Ridge ride was an out-n-back done on one day. The bikepacking ride was a two day overnighter.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Tange your face
    Jul 2009
    That is exactly when we are heading there. End of July.

Good to know about the water. I plan on jumping in the reservoir after the ride. It looks like it goes right past the edge of it.

I plan on taking some pics so I will post em' up when we get back.

Again, thanks for the info. Totally helps to know a bit of what to expect.

mtbr member
    During July, the monsoons should help with finding water along the cabin loop. As long as you have a filter, you will be fine. The route you're talking about is far less than 40 miles. More like mid 20's. I agree with freeskier, skip trying to find general crook and just ride the road. The road is always a big washboard, not fun. Fred haught south to north is pretty simple, maybe one HAB. Houston brothers north to south has several HAB sections, but is overall a fun trail.

If you decide to add Barbershop and Ubar, be prepared for a long day as these two trails are the most technically challenging of the two. Technically meaning really loose, rocky switchbacks that are challenging going down, even for a DH'er. Going up is a hike, nothing else. Depending on which way you ride it, there are numerous sections of HAB. Downed trees across the houston, ubar and barbershop are numerous right now. Don't expect them to be removed as the Forest Service has other places to spend their dwindling budget these days.

During July, if the monsoons come as normal, Houston brothers should have water in the creek to get you by. Worst case, Aspen Springs should have some.

It's a fun, challenging ride, just be prepared for some work.

Enjoy!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Tange your face
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the additional info jonboy.

You are right on the mileage. I was thinking that the AZ trail and the entire loop is around 40 miles. I agree that the first ride should be about 20+.

I read on another blog that a GPS would be beneficial. I have never ridden in this area and was wondering about getting GPS maps. Anyone have any resources to send me to?

Thanks, fellas!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    PM sent
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Map world has most topo maps for the area. Go to Coconino national forest and look under maps. Coconino National Forest - Home
    Choose Coconino national forest map - south half. Pretty good stuff there.

All of cabin loop is about 28 miles, so with the AZT thrown in it's about 38-40 miles.

Usually in late July there are numerous sources of water. Aspen springs, Buck Springs, Dane springs, Barbershop canyon and numerous others.

I spend a lot of time in that area, so hit me up when you plan to go that way and I'll give you more current info.

Late July the ferns along Houston Bros. should be about 4' tall!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.