mtbr member

BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?

I was thinking the other day while driving home from Sedona - - could you extend the Black Canyon Trail from Phoenix to Sedona? The Phoenix trailhead could be at the 51st avenue entrance over that canal. And, as I understand it, the trail extends up past the 69 north of Mayer but then ends in the Prescott National Forest. How much would it take the build the trail to Sedona? Wouldn't that make the trail an even cooler tourist attraction?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Theres a trail from Jerome over into Prescott Valley. Used in teh Coco250. Im sure with some creative map work it could be done with some dirt roads in the interim

mtbr member
    You can ride now from the 51st ave alignment right up to the AZGFD. From there it would be not much effort to connect HWY69 I think maybe even Dugas Road north of HWY69 goes somewhere west over the top and just may connect to Jerome.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Can we get Traildoc to work on this project...haha.

Ahhh the pain....
    Gents, several of us have been working in the past few months on a route from Flag to Tucson called the Central AZ500. Go here to download the GPX file. Basically, it uses part of the Coco250, then cuts off on the Mingus climb south to meet up with BCT, takes bct south, to the maricopa, through cave creek, pima/dynamite, McDowells, and eventually takes the AZT south from Picket Post. I'm planning to do the Flag to Phx section later this fall...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Just another half mile...
    Your Wish may come true. There are talks going on between various agencies about extending the BCT all the way to Sedona. A corridor has already been scouted entirely on public lands, mostly Prescott National Forest. Currently the BCT has been built by the BLM up to to the PNF boundary. The PNF is interested in extending the BCT north. Before anything gets built, NEPA has to be done, which may take a while and needs to be funded. So stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    I was thinking the other day while driving home from Sedona - - could you extend the Black Canyon Trail from Phoenix to Sedona? The Phoenix trailhead could be at the 51st avenue entrance over that canal. And, as I understand it, the trail extends up past the 69 north of Mayer but then ends in the Prescott National Forest. How much would it take the build the trail to Sedona? Wouldn't that make the trail an even cooler tourist attraction?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Your Wish may come true. There are talks going on between various agencies about extending the BCT all the way to Sedona. A corridor has already been scouted entirely on public lands, mostly Prescott National Forest. Currently the BCT has been built by the BLM up to to the PNF boundary. The PNF is interested in extending the BCT north. Before anything gets built, NEPA has to be done, which may take a while and needs to be funded. So stay tuned!
    Extending/connecting to Prescott is pretty cool. Then you got so many different climates working for you, you can always find one or a few that will work at any time of the year. Sedona is like Phoenix, but 5 degrees cooler with more rock reflecting heat towards you.

Eventually I'd suspect we'll see both.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Exciting news! I can't wait until the trail building season is here.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    Exciting news! I can't wait until the trail building season is here.
    Sounds like the only missing pieces are from Prescott to the top of Mingus and from the bottom of Mingus to Dead Horse Ranch State Park.. From there you can ride Lime Kiln to Scheruman to Bike Path to Under the Radar to Bike Path to Old Post to Sedona.

On the Sedona part all you need to do is get Bike Path and Under the Radar adopted. The trails are in and have been fun to ride for years.

In the past Adoption process they had Schuerman in as part of the adoption process, but no one has ever discussed why it is in there since it is already considered a system trail. It has several unrideable uphill sections that could be re-routed to be made rideable, but the hardcore crowd would probably cry and moan about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?-lime-kiln-1.jpg  

BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?-lime-kiln-2.jpg  

BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?-lime-kiln-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    It would be great to see more BCT heading north to the side of Mingus.

Looking at the map I loaded the black line is the BCT as far north as what Ray had to tie in with coming off of roads off of Mingus.

Judging from the map Prescott is pretty far west. Nothing against Prescott it's great there. But it looks more natural for the trail to continue north to the shoulder of Mingus. There is also a Black Canyon on Mingus.

The blue line shows the Coco 250 route right where the red Central AZ 500 and Coco split is a flat road around Mingus. From that road you can go west on Mingus trails heading towards Prescott or east and down to Cottonwood and Lime Kiln to Sedona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?-black-canyon.jpg  

Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post
    It would be great to see more BCT heading north to the side of Mingus.

Looking at the map I loaded the black line is the BCT as far north as what Ray had to tie in with coming off of roads off of Mingus.

Judging from the map Prescott is pretty far west. Nothing against Prescott it's great there. But it looks more natural for the trail to continue north to the shoulder of Mingus. There is also a Black Canyon on Mingus.

The blue line shows the Coco 250 route right where the red Central AZ 500 and Coco split is a flat road around Mingus. From that road you can go west on Mingus trails heading towards Prescott or east and down to Cottonwood and Lime Kiln to Sedona.
    AKA:

I like your spirit. Lars Romic is working with the FS in the Cottonwood area maybe he could get the trail connected over to Dead Horse Ranch State Park.

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Reviving and old thread but did any of the endurance guys ever tie these together?

mtbr member
    I did manage to ride from Flag to Tucson, missed a couple of things along the way but it did work.

Haven't had a chance to look at how much more of the BCT was completed this last winter.

Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride

DFL>DNF>DNS
    It's definitely on my list of rides to do, just have to find the time. Other routes to tackle first!! With that said, the Flagstone500 is all but dialed in, maybe just a few minor tweaks here and there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Yeah I haven't made any plans for this fall so I haven't asked for a new BCT track.

The only real problem area was connecting to the northern end, we had to cross some private land and then hit the sea of goatheads. If there's enough trail now to skip that part it will be a much better tour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post
    I did manage to ride from Flag to Tucson, missed a couple of things along the way but it did work.

Haven't had a chance to look at how much more of the BCT was completed this last winter.

Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride
    Read your link. Nice report. I rode with Caminiti for 6-7 days in this years TD. He had me laughing my ass off most of the time. One of the sports true characters. He just finished his triple crown BTW.!!
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid