mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Black Canyon Trail System

I've recently heard about this trail system and was hoping someone else out there may be able to give me some information on the trails, what's good to ride, how to get there, etc..I'm traveling with my bike and I'm looking for exceptional riding, this place looks to be more backcountry which I prefer..
    From what I've been told and the Coalition's website it looks pretty nice.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I also did not see any thing under the "trails" section on MTBR for this area..did I overlook it?

mtbr member
    see Black Canyon Trail ? which is the thread I started and got responses to. The trail is new and the best info is at www.bctaz.com for trailhead location and maps.

I've only ridden the Little Pan Loop section and it's quite fun. Not too technical but enough surprises to keep you on your toes. Hope this helps.
    Gary

wrecking crew
    I just wrote up a big description and accidentally hit "back" DOH!!! Anyway...here are some links from previous threads. It is a fun XC ride that is deceptive in its terrain. You actually work harder than you think you do. It has a lot of ups and downs but nothing evil at all. Just fun.

We've ridden all the sections that are complete as single sections but not put together. Do not start at the emery Hederson TH. For bikes, it sucks...too much sandy wash requiring hiking and slogging through sand. Starting from Doe Peak Access up through the Boy Scout Loop (take the east side for singletrack & west side for semi-two track) then when the loop converges at the north end...continue on to Table Mesa Rd.

The Little Pan loop accesses off Table Mesa TH and goes north. We do the loop CCW so at the junction take a right and it loops up and around. A bit of rock river crossing (a bit of water at times) and some jeep road as connector at the top of the loop before the return. Nice off camber sections...flowing...silty at times and rock at times. I like this loop better than the southern section.

We are going to tie the two together in one ride sometime this spring.

The links have some maps I believe...

Bct

Black Canyon Trail ?
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks, that's really helpful.
    How far from Phoenix/Scottsdale area do you think it is in milage and drive time?

mtbr member
    maps.google.com

mapquest.com

maps.yahoo.com

internet is your friend.
    b

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Where in Arizona (what trail) is YoGreg riding, from your photo album, looks nice.

mtbr member
    lots of trails in the valley and sedona.
    b

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Don't know the valley at all as I'm a rider from the mountains of Colorado on a road trip with my bike. Know Sedona a little better as I've been there a couple of times..
    From your reply I guess you're protective of sharing trail knowledge/beta, the photos were nice, I'm going to be in your area and would like to ride some quality trails. (I've been riding for 15 years and I have decent skill.)
    In the greater Phoenix area including Black Canyon area what trail(s) would you recommend as a must do? I've already got National on my list but if you're willing to share some local beta I'd appreciate it, if you're ever riding in Colorado I'd be happy to share as well. Also is there a good local bike shop in the area as well?
    Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durtdevil
    From your reply I guess you're protective of sharing trail knowledge/beta, the photos were nice, I'm going to be in your area and would like to ride some quality trails.
    No my reply simply meant there are many photo's of YoGreg riding in AZ. You did not specify which picture so I could not give you a specific trail.

there is a great reasorce on the upper right of the page with information for Visitors. If you have specific questions I'm sure all of us on the AZ board can help.
    b

mtbr member
    DD,

I would hit Goat Camp, BCT and Alta/Bajada (South Mountain) as well.

GC is a good XC up and back or a good XC combined with a gnarly DH section.

BCT is just plain fun XC stuff with nothing real scary.

Both GC and BCT are in very remote areas and are not recommended to ride alone. Both systems are hard to follow without some knowledge of the trail system.

Alta is in the SoMo park and easy to find/follow.

Post up when youíre going to be here and Iím sure someone in our group will show you around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the trail beta, much appreciated.
    How does one get to South Mountain from Scottsdale? Driving directions?

Saucy Size Moderator
    Don't know the valley at all as I'm a rider from the mountains of Colorado on a road trip with my bike. Know Sedona a little better as I've been there a couple of times..
    From your reply I guess you're protective of sharing trail knowledge/beta, the photos were nice, I'm going to be in your area and would like to ride some quality trails. (I've been riding for 15 years and I have decent skill.)
    In the greater Phoenix area including Black Canyon area what trail(s) would you recommend as a must do? I've already got National on my list but if you're willing to share some local beta I'd appreciate it, if you're ever riding in Colorado I'd be happy to share as well. Also is there a good local bike shop in the area as well?
    Thanks a lot!
    I hate asking it for the zillionth time, but...have you read through the VISITORS READ HERE FIRST sticky at the very top of our forum?

We're not protective about trail beta, we just get tired of answering the same questions several times a week. AZ is a hoppin' place all winter long and we end up fielding a lot of the same questions, over and over.

Read the sticky and then come back with questions, please.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've read the sticky, a couples of times, that's how I got most of my basic information.

Meatpuppet
    Thanks for the trail beta, much appreciated.
    How does one get to South Mountain from Scottsdale? Driving directions?
    Depends on which trail your doing, that will dictate which trailhead you need to be at.

10 & Baseline
    Central & S. of Dobbins
    Guadalupe to E Pima Canyon Rd

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=AZ&zipcode=

When ya comin to town?
    We have the Spring Fling going on 3/14 to 3/18, with lots of rides going on all around.
    If not then, let us know and you are more than welcome to join on any of our rides.
    Last edited by dirtrodr; 03-02-2007 at 02:16 PM.

drink coffee, ride.
    Here's the trail report from BCT, and the original ride posting, with directions:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=247892

Bct