Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Black Canyon Trail from Rock Springs Conditions

Rode BC trail Sunday morning going south. Trail is in great condition. River is almost up to my knees on that crossing.... Some dude was sleeping by the river at about 6AM when I crossed... woke poor guy up when I yelled holy F ! slipping on that mud... Poor guy.. sorry about that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Did the LPL from Rock Springs Saturday and yes the trail was in great condition, I wish I could say the same about myself. I have not been riding much this last month and can I just say I probably should not have done that many miles this time of year in my condition, it got a bit scary. Luckily the water I stashed a while back was there and we had also stashed other water that we used and we still ran out. I was riding with a noob and so we were on the trail a lot longer than usual, so I am sure the exposure to the elements didn't help. That was the worst I have ever felt on a ride. But we made and all is good now. About the river I have never seen it that high.
    Last edited by cklog; 08-27-2012 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Noob here, but what is LPL. I'm looking to do the BCT when it cools off so I'm trying to get as much info as possible in the meantime. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Little Pan Loop.

mtbr member
    I just went for hour and 45 min and turned back... loop rides in this heat are too much of a risk for me ... no shame in out and back rides...

mtbr member
    So the Agua Fria is running right now? How do you guys cross? On foot getting your shoes wet? Bike it? Bring spare shoes?

I rode this just at the start of Monsoon season so the river was dry.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was looking for a place to cross when another rider came by while we were contemplating where and how to cross and he just walked through it so we followed. I have to say my pearl izumi shoes that I have now were much better than my older all leather shoes, they dried a lot quicker and didnít make my feet feel soggy. I took some pictures of the river but am not sure how to load them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    So the Agua Fria is running right now? How do you guys cross? On foot getting your shoes wet? Bike it? Bring spare shoes?

I rode this just at the start of Monsoon season so the river was dry.
    I bring a pair of tevas and a small towel... its only about 3-5 minutes to change out footwear... I hide the tevas in a bush on the other side of river (if there is only one crossing)... In the future if I am going to do multiple crossings, Ill bring a lighter pair of tevas/flipflops... I hate wet feet...

When I lived back east, I would have to wear those socks made of wet suit material... There were just too many water crossings to exchange footwear... So that is also an option...

Ahhh the pain....

... and if we just ...

Yeah, I hate riding in wet shoes too...and have tender feet! I've typically brought along cheap flip flops, but find that a pair of crocs work much better...
    btw, definitely don't try and ride through it if it's over about 6" or you'll be doing BB and hub bearing service in the weeks following. Also, it's been posted before so in case you haven't seen it, here's the link for the Agua Fria flow...
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ
    BTW, if you look at Aug 21st, the flow went from 2 cfs to over 1000cfs in what looks like a few hours. If you were caught on the other side of the river, you might be there a while! So the lesson learned is if you see big T-storms up in the Bradshaws, you'll want to watch out.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    thanks guys!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I will probably do the same ride either Sat or Sun morning.. leaving th at 5:40AM sharp... Don't know yet... Not sure if there is any interest in joining me ?? I am probably just below average when it comes to ride speed... But I last a long time...

Carbon or Commie?
    I got to the river on Saturday... we turned around. We did take that little off-shoot to the north of the trail though. We went a little late in the day (got to the trailhead at like 10:30), so it was WAY too hot for us.

Add to that being out of shape and new to mtb'ing... I think it was the right call. Especially if the water was that deep (we threw a rock in to try and judge the depth... we got the "at least 1ft" answer from the splash), as we didn't have spare shoes or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I will probably do the same ride either Sat or Sun morning.. leaving th at 5:40AM sharp... Don't know yet... Not sure if there is any interest in joining me ?? I am probably just below average when it comes to ride speed... But I last a long time...
    Can I let you know on Friday?

I will be taking Friday off from work and probably doing a morning ride. I might be up for another Sat or Sun. Not sure yet as I need to coordinate schedule with the wife and such and I have been off the bike for a couple weeks.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Joe.... sorry, but I'll be scouting for elk near mormon lake this weekend (using the mtn bike)... I have a hunt in October... We can think about another weekend... But letting me know at the last minute is always not a problem...

mtbr member
    No problem.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Ill be at the Rock Springs Trailhead at 530AM tomorrow 9/3/12... Bikes moving on trail at 5:45AM sharp... Let me know if you are interested.. or just show up... Ill be driving a white nissan pickup

mtbr member
    It'd be nice to get a larger group going on if the Saturdays in the fall. I'm thinking October or November.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Ill be at the Rock Springs Trailhead at 530AM tomorrow 9/3/12... Bikes moving on trail at 5:45AM sharp... Let me know if you are interested.. or just show up... Ill be driving a white nissan pickup
    Frontier?

mtbr member
    yes frontier.. 4 cyl

mtbr member
    I wont be there. I going to ride Maricopa and go-John instead. I am not ready to ride that trail right now. Need to get my butt in better shape. Plus it is looking like a storm tonight. Could be wet in the morning.

Have good ride guys.
    Joe

mtbr member
    started at 5:45 made it to Little Pan turned left and went down to the 2nd river crossing and turned around... Got back to the Trailhead at 9:15... Saw a desert tortoise on the trail.. that was kinda of neat..

I didn't see any big storms in the watershed last night, but there must have been some good rains in the watershed because the flow increased tremendously overnight... from less than 1 cfs to 200 cfs..

Breakfast at Bylers was awesome.. y'all need to try their buckweat pancakes...

I have never liked Rock Springs Cafe... always too crowded and the food is not worth the wait and bad service..
    Last edited by MtbAZ44; 09-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Just don't eat at the Kid Chilean's Bad Ass BBQ. My Former neighbors own the place and if they keep the place like they keep their house... YUCK. Very dirty people.

How deep was the water at the first crossing?
    Joe

mtbr member
    I ate at Kid Chileans once and it sucked... very bland food... I was hoping for good barbecue... NOT.. my favorite place in the valley for BBQ is still Waldos in Mesa... Not sure if its still there. I know its a chain but famous daves is pretty darn good too..

mtbr member
    Just don't eat at the Kid Chilean's Bad Ass BBQ. My Former neighbors own the place and if they keep the place like they keep their house... YUCK. Very dirty people.

You can just hop across on the rocks. The rain brought up lots-o-sharp rocks, on the trail in many places, other than that, trail is great
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    sorry, forgot to answer this question... it was past my knees... even deeper than last weeks... it was very deep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast