Beer Drnkr w/bike problem

biker crashes on South Mountain, air lifted out.

Alright, who are you and tell us what went wrong. I glad to hear it was not fatal but still sucks to get hurt. It's going to happen someday.

Man in bike crash on Phoenix trail airlifted to hospital
    by Eddi Trevizo - Jul. 17, 2011 08:32 PM
    The Arizona Republic

Phoenix officials said a man injured on a hiking trail Sunday was being airlifted by helicopter after he crashed his bike.

The unidentified man crashed his bicycle on a trail at Phoenix South Mountain Park and was unable to move due to severe pain in one of his legs.

Officials said he was in stable condition but couldn't be moved on foot because of terrain along the trail.

"He can't put pressure on it, and he can't stand," said Scott Walker, a spokesman for the Phoenix Fire Department.

Reduced visibility at nightfall was an additional problem for rescuers.

The man was being evacuated by air about 8:10 p.m. to a local hospital where he will be further evaluated, Walker said
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's a Buddy of mine... broke his tibia just below the knee. Scheduled for surgery Monday am. It was just one of those freak accidents. Riding down national just below the upper hidden valley turnoff and slammed his leg into a large boulder on the side of the trail. This guy is a tank. He has been riding for 15 years and never had a fracture.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    best of luck to him.
    there but for the grace of God...

banned
    Jun 2011
    death before airlift!
    send him our wishes for a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Dang that sucks. My first and last airlift costs my insurance company $20K.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    Dang that sucks. My first and last airlift costs my insurance company $20K.

Oh do tell!
    The airlift story!

mtbr member
    Ouch. I had to hike out of there a few months back, but that's a tiny bit more do-able with a wrist break than a leg break...

Here's to a speedy recovery!
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

******ed or Branded??
    Healing vibes to your buddy and hopefully his insurance has great airlift coverage. I know for a fact it cost at least 2k to just fire up the Heli.

pedaller

Saw the pics on FB...

Heal fast amigo!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Shred...it's the new drug
    Dang...I guess I did know that ripper. Get well homey!!! We're all thinking of you!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMntBkr1 View Post
    Oh do tell!
    The airlift story!
    Overjumped a tabletop on my 450F out at the ET mx track in Mesa in 2007. Cased the take off the next tabletop in line, compressed the bike all the way, which put too much force on my right femur. Broke it in a couple pieces.

One thing I learned is the helicopter medics have way better pain killers than the ground crew.

mtbr member
    Nice story, i was talking to a buddy who is a flight nurse, and he tells me some insane stories like people bleeding so much it was draining out of the bottom of the helo. But the cost of an airlift is 4k just to start the engines, then $100/mile plus any material used...that crap adds up real quick...for all you math geeks here's a fancy formula i created after hours of arithmetic...

$4000+$100/mile+other crap= ONE HUGE FREAKING BILL!!!

mtbr member
    when a co rider went down a few years ago and had to be airlifted out, I asked the firemen the cost of being airlifted versus wheeled out as she had no insurance.....they told me $0.

so I guess my question is are you speculating about the cost? are you billed only if you have insurance?
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

mtbr member
    I didn't personally pay anything, as my insurance was 100% coverage for "transportation"...but I saw the bill and it was just under $20K.

Both my parents were airlifted after a motorcycle accident (yes, three memebers of my family have all ridden in emergency helos...) and each of theirs was billed in the $15K range IIRC.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    This is why I walked off Mingus mountain with a fractured tibia, of course with the help of friends on this board and a Coors light tallboy. If your buddy has any questions let me know. I just got back from the same injury on April 2nd. Fractured tibia plateau. Bill was $32,000. Insurance covered it but at the time wasn't sure if they would cover the search and rescue part on national forest land.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Az HS Cycling League

It is true...

City of Phoenix Fire crews doing the rescue with the City of Phoenix helicopter (PD pilots) is no charge. You pay for it in your taxes. However the ground ambulance to the hospital is not free. There will be a bill for that. If he has insurance that shouldn't be an issue either.

Hopefully the surgery was successful.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League in 2013
    www.arizonamtb.org

Shred...it's the new drug
    I heard he's doing good and in good spirits!!! Be back on the bike in no time...they had to install some new metal hardware though. He'll join me in the bionic man club

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank God it wasn't life threatening! We have plans for National this weekend.

Beetlejuice!
    I live right next to the mountain and heard, what I thought, was the ghetto bird until I read the story online moments later. Sending major healing vibes to your friend!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    Overjumped a tabletop on my 450F out at the ET mx track in Mesa in 2007. Cased the take off the next tabletop in line, compressed the bike all the way, which put too much force on my right femur. Broke it in a couple pieces.

One thing I learned is the helicopter medics have way better pain killers than the ground crew.
    That same section got me once too. Not nearly as bad as it did to you, I ended up with two badly sprained wrists and a beat up pelvis and lower back.

I got out of shape just before the first table on an acceleration bump, got a little wiskey throttle, and way over jumped the first table. One of the worst over jump/bottom out situations I've ever had. I rode out of it but thought I had broken my back.

Knock on wood, after 14 years of moto I've managed to stay away from the Heli.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    I heard he's doing good and in good spirits!!! Be back on the bike in no time...they had to install some new metal hardware though. He'll join me in the bionic man club

I'm a part of the heavy metal club as well.. I have a Tibia Nail (rod from knee to ankle and 4 screws) in my left leg.

Not bike related though.

Eroding into the trail
    ^
    ^
    ^
    The TSA loves you (or gropes you, depending on how you
    look at it)!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know someone else who was airlifted. $17K before insurance, $0 afterward.