mtbr member

Bikepacking Roots/Wild West Route: Access across Navajo Reservation

Crosspost from the mtbr Bikepacking forum:
    I came across this on the Bikepacking Roots facebook page:

With support from the Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation Department, the Wild West Route has been approved as the first public recreation route of its kind to cross their 27,000-square-mile reservation. This segment of the route traverses Arizona's scenic and remote Marble Platform along the Grand Canyon's East Rim and will also serve as a bypass for Arizona Trail thru-riders looking to skip the arduous hike-a-bike across the Canyon.

Bike Roots overview for the Wild West Route:
    The Wild West Route is a bikepacking route of linked dirt roads and 4x4 tracks that traverse the Intermountain West for nearly 3,000 miles from Mexico to Canada.

Reconnaissance of the route has been completed, and we will be coordinating with a group of ~30 pioneering riders during the summer of 2018 to assist with finalizing the route and planning resources.

The route, maps, planning resources, and a landscape guide will be available to the bikepacking community in the winter of 2018/19.

More information and state-by-state overview is here: Wild West Route
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

interested to see how this turns out. Not sure if it would ever be part of AZTR, but it would remove the whole access to the road issue in the park.

ALso, not having to carry a bike across the canyon is pretty compelling. Might actually make the extra miles worth while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    ALso, not having to carry a bike across the canyon is pretty compelling. Might actually make the extra miles worth while.
    I'd have a hard time saying I've done the AZTR if the hike were not part of it, especially after so many others have endured it. Its part of the route and a rite of passage. But yeah, in a heavy snow year and if issues with the road persist, it is a viable alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I'd have a hard time saying I've done the AZTR if the hike were not part of it, especially after so many others have endured it. Its part of the route and a rite of passage. But yeah, in a heavy snow year and if issues with the road persist, it is a viable alternative.
    yeah, crossing the canyon is definitely a rite of passage. But I've done that.

I enjoyed the journey of the 750, except for the hike. Wouldn't mind doing the whole thing without going through the big ditch.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Sounds like a strong case for a separate route classification.

AZTR750
    __ Canyon Hike
    __ Wild West Route

May have to call that one the AZTR900 or whatever it ends up being.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff