EDR

Bike thoughts. Pivot 5.5 for Phoenix and the likes?

Kinda of a cross-post from the Yeti forum....

Hey, been a while since I've posted much of anything here for various reasons but been around a while. Was curious if anyone is riding the new-ish Pivot 5.5 for local trail riding and what your thoughts are.

In a nutshell....I've been riding Yeti 575's with 160mm Lyrik coil fork since basically '08, even had a '05 575 with a Pike. I really have loved my 575's but looking to update/upgrade. I test rode a SB5 (not on trails) and was left feeling 'meh' as it seems sooooo planted to the ground compared to my bike. I do realized the change to larger tires has a lot to do with that, and it's something I'll have to deal with and 26 is basically dead for new stuff, but that suspension felt so linear that the bike just felt 'planted'. Looking for a little more lively bike and the 5.5 has come across my radar.

My riding used to be a lot of SoMo..Moab, Mt lemmon, and all the local stuff and I climb anything I descend including up/down Natty once a week. I now am older and do less Natty but wish to find a bike capable of being fun at Hawes, Picket Post for example... and such, as well as more than enough for techie/rocky trails such as Geronimo (for reference of what I want a bike to be capable/comfortable doing) as well as standard all day trail riding.

If you ride one I'd love some feedback.

thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Go demo. I thought it would be perfect when first released. Then I rode it for a weekend.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Meatbomb
    and ....

EDR
    Blatant...care to expound? Not looking for "homer's" or "haters", just personal experience on local trails.

I'm not married to any decision, never even ridden a DW bike.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I didnít like it. Pedaled ďheavyĒ and just felt dead to me. Much like the Switchblade. To be fair, Iím generally a 29er guy and the only recent Pivot I loved was the 429 Trail.

If you didnít like the SB5 I canít imagine you liking the Pivot, but itís easy to demo and figure out for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Check out the evil calling or following. Very lively bikes that climb well and are great on AZ terrain. My calling is as happy on Geronimo as it is at Gold Canyon. The 29" following may be a better all arounder in AZ but since you noted you're coming from 26" the calling is 27.5".

I've demoed a lot of Pivots and they're super capable bikes. Just not for me. Better for stability when plowing through the rough, or as fast xc bikes, than fun rigs encouraging side lines and hijinks.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure there are a lot of badass riders in AZ who love thier Pivots.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sure are. Five out of 10 bikes on SoMo these days are Pivots.

EDR
    No interest in 29ers, i'm 5'8'' with shoes, but that Calling is one sick looking bike!

mtbr member
    I recently picked up an Intense Spider 275c and am loving it. Its 27.5 with short chain stays and is super playful. Iím not riding the gnar anymore so I went with a smaller travel bike. That being said the Recluse or Tracer might be worth a look for you. Mach 5.5 seems like it would be a great option if you still want to ride SoMo etc
    Last edited by Cannonball; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I recently picked up an Intense 275c and am loving it. Its 27.5 with short chai stays and is super playful. Iím not riding the gnar anymore so I went with a smaller travel bike. That being said the Recluse or Tracer might be worth a look for you. Mach 5.5 seems like it would be a great option if you still want to ride SoMo etc
    Ya, I'm 47 now. Over the last 2 years I basically took a hiatus from biking, maybe went out a 5 times total. Back into it now (and loving it again), but my days of Portal, Goat Camp and such will be far and few between if at all, if I'm being honest with myself. Still want to get back riding Natty up/down occasionally, and want a bike suited for that as well as Hawes, Gold Canyon etc etc.

Does Desert Federal do bicycle loans? Man have things have gotten stupid expensive.

mtbr member
    Man, I ride an SB6 and felt the SB5 was super lively when I demoed one in Colorado. The SB6 is a pig though.

Have you looked at Ibis at all? MTBYUMYUM (youtube) gave the HD4 a great review, said it was poppy and lively and an all around great bike. It might still be a bit too much bike for Phoenix, however.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Kinda of a cross-post from the Yeti forum....

wtf is a Yeti ?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    Man, I ride an SB6 and felt the SB5 was super lively when I demoed one in Colorado. The SB6 is a pig though..
    I've kind of come full circle in just a few days. I've made a few phone calls to the guys at evil bikes and I've talked to couple bike shops about Transition and others.

I think I need to Pony up the money and go rent a sb5 and give it a good run on a proper Trail. I wish they made a sb5 . 5 with 27 inch wheels.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    There are a ton of great bikes in that space. SB5, Transition Scout, SC Bronson, Stumpjumper, RM Altitude, etc.

After owning a Following, pretty sure Iíd never buy another Evil, but thatís just me.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    wtf is a Yeti ?
    An overpriced Ice Chest

parenting for gnarness
    Plus wheels? Its a big change to the bike. The lower cg and greater traction makes any bike feel so much more capable. I don't know that 27.5 is worth it. Either go 29, or 27.5 plus.

Pivotal figure
    I'd also take a look at the Mach6. That's my main rig and I've used it for everything from mellow XC to DH. Mine is built up at 29.6 lbs riding weight with DH wheels and stout tires. FWIW, I gave plus tires a try and they weren't any fun at all for me....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I thought going to a 27.5 non + from 26 was plenty for me. I never got along great with 29ers and felt like the 27.5+ would be too draggy on XCish rides

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I thought going to a 27.5 non + from 26 was plenty for me. I never got along great with 29ers and felt like the 27.5+ would be too draggy on XCish rides
    That's exactly where I'm at in my thought process. I am not ready to jump to 29er at all. The transition to 27.5 will be enough for me to get used to. Plus I'm short.

mtbr member
    I think I need to Pony up the money and go rent a sb5 and give it a good run on a proper Trail. I wish they made a sb5 . 5 with 27 inch wheels.
    Like I said, the SB6 is big and heavy, so just about anything feels light and poppy to me. I did have a lot of fun with the SB5 in Breckenridge tho...made me wish I would have held out and opted for the SB5 instead of rushing into the SB6.

Lots of people that ride plus size tires say they enjoy them and they're fun but I feel like all that extra rolling weight would keep the bike more planted and less poppy.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    + tires + long travel frame = + stupid + dumb
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    + tires + long travel frame = + stupid + dumb
    I have no interest in 29ers or plus size tires. Heck I don't really have any interest in 27. 5 however I have no choice if I want to play the new bike game.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I know that your post is looking for experience on the Mach 5.5 but I hope you don't mind if I chime in on my experience on a different Pivot. Hopefully it provides a little insight...

I know it's not the sexy choice in regards to what's currently being marketed but I have a Mach 4 and absolutely love it. I'm taller and am riding the Large(Long). While I don't hit Natty all the time, I have no hesitations riding it. If trails like Natty were my main ride I'd probably look at something with more travel.

With that said, as long as you have a model with quality suspension and have taken the time to set it up properly the short travel isn't much of a limiter.

My Mach 4 is 26lbs with pedals, feels really snappy off the line and just inspires confidence. My riding areas hit PMP (main area), BCT, Hawes, Prescott, Flag, Sedona, Browns, etc .

I'm not necessarily stating that the Mach 4 is for you but it may not hurt to look at some of the shorter travel bikes with quality suspension parts. There's some pretty amazing bikes out there.

Whatever you end up with I'm sure you'll love it. These bikes have come a long way since 2008.

Best of luck with your search!!!

Slopesdude04
    Jan 2018
    I recently purchased a 27.5+ GT Pantera and itís night and day difference compared to my old 26Ē full suspension GT force that I had before . Itís a hardtail with 2x10 gearing and it climbs real nicely , bombs downhill and for overall performance I give it a 10 . I had a hard time keeping up with the group that I ride with especially going uphill my old Gt force was heavy (35lbs) and climbed like crap , now with the Pantera I keep up with them , now I know that you are looking at a full suspension 27.5+ but coming from a hardtail stance i say itís totally worth buying a 27.5+ bike , only negative about 27.5+ is that the bike world hasnít fully caught on and buying aftermarket products for it might be more expensive and hard to find .

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    I know that your post is looking for experience on the Mach 5.5 but I hope you don't mind if I chime in on my experience ...

!!!
    Not at all. The info is very much appreciated.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by slopesdude04 View Post
    27.5+ coming from a hardtail stance i say itís totally worth buying a 27.5+ bike .
    I don't always take easily to change, haha. Going to a bigger wheel size I think is as much change as I want to take on with such an expensive bike. Perhaps if I had a few weeks to ride a plus size bike I could make a better decision but I'm not willing to jump into that pond just yet. Besides I generally run 2.4 to 2.5 size tires even on my current bike. So I'm not that far off really.

My rims are kind of skinny by today's standards though, Mavic 819s. I think I could benefit from a wider rim. But I've been saying that for years. Peter over at Rage built them with hope hubs for me, gosh, 8 to 10 years ago. They're bomb-proof and as good today as the day I got them. They've been through some shit over the years, that's for sure!

Black and Sticky
    This is sort of along the same lines as Dustychap. Now that you are back, have you considered whether your former riding preferences are the same? Iím an old guy, wrong side of 60, and about 5 years ago I began taking more pleasure from xc types of riding. I live on east end of T100 and still have fun in the chunk there and occassionally SOMO. But more often than not Iím doing 30-40 miles at McDowell or MSP and the more climbing the better. Also have great fun on a gravel bike. Point is, since youíve been gone a while, maybe youíve turned a page and your riding preferences may have changed and you may want to consider that in your bike choice. If not, then you have a whole lot of really nice trail bikes to choose from and the folks on this forum have given you some good advice. Good luck with your bike choice and welcome back.

By the way, my main ride these days is a Vassago Verhauen, steel 29+, fully rigid. Weighs 24 lbs with pedals. With carbon wheels I donít notice the weight of the tires. Light can be done with enough coin!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I think you'll like the 27.5.

Before the Mach 4 I had a 2011 Trance as my main ride. I also have a Anthem 29x.
    I didn't think there would be much difference in the 26 vs 27.5 but I really like it now. It was a noticeable difference. I still like the 29er but the 27.5 can do it all really well.

Being a little shorter it should be a great fit.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    This is sort of along the same lines as Dustychap. Now that you are back, have you considered whether your former riding preferences are the same? Iím an old guy, wrong side of 60, and about 5 years ago I began taking more pleasure from xc types of riding. I live on east end of T100 and still have fun in the chunk there and occassionally SOMO. But more often than not Iím doing 30-40 miles at McDowell or MSP and the more climbing the better. Also have great fun on a gravel bike. Point is, since youíve been gone a while, maybe youíve turned a page and your riding preferences may have changed and you may want to consider that in your bike choice. If not, then you have a whole lot of really nice trail bikes to choose from and the folks on this forum have given you some good advice. Good luck with your bike choice and welcome back.

By the way, my main ride these days is a Vassago Verhauen, steel 29+, fully rigid. Weighs 24 lbs with pedals. With carbon wheels I donít notice the weight of the tires. Light can be done with enough coin!

Bob
    Damn dude, that's a solid observation....

mtbr member
    Ya, I'm 47 now. Over the last 2 years I basically took a hiatus from biking, maybe went out a 5 times total. Back into it now (and loving it again), but my days of Portal, Goat Camp and such will be far and few between if at all, if I'm being honest with myself. Still want to get back riding Natty up/down occasionally, and want a bike suited for that as well as Hawes, Gold Canyon etc etc.

Does Desert Federal do bicycle loans? Man have things have gotten stupid expensive.
    If you are going to be doing more XC/trail riding, I would be looking at 120/130mm travel 29er or 27.5 range of bikes. I would not write off 29 wheels either till you put some miles on a modern one.

Below are all capable of occasionally romping down Nat or Geronimo yet same time be more suited for XC/trail riding. Going with a longer travel bike will be more forgiving/faster on the DH stuff, but will be heavier and squishier to pedal.

29 Bikes
    Evil Following MB
    Pivot Trail 429
    Yeti 4.5c
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Norco Sight
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Primer

27.5 Bikes
    Diamondback Release 4c/5c
    Yeti SB5
    Evil Calling
    Ibis MOJO 3
    SantaCruz 5010

mtbr member
    Like Blatant, I thought the Pivot 5.5 was going the be "the" bike and after cracking my Mach 6 (my fault), Pivot offered me any frame on crash replacement. My shop convinced me to get the 5.5 and after only a street ride demo, I bit. Once again, I agree with Blatant that it climbed sluggish. It was fun going down but was more like a straight line plow whereas I prefer to hit/bip/bop/bonk off things and much prefer my 5010. However, I should add since you also brought up the SB5, I had that bike (1st gen) before the 5010...it was probably the best bike I ever owned. Only bike I ever regret selling. I very well may be passing the 5010 on to my son when he gets back from deployment and getting a new Yeti.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    . However, I should add since you also brought up the SB5, I had that bike (1st gen) before the 5010...it was probably the best bike I ever owned. .
    yeah I've heard that sentiment from a lot of people who have owned or ridden that bike. I'm definitely going to give it a second chance.... on a real trail this time. I'm a Yeti fan boy at heart so I'd love to love that bike!

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:20 PM.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    EDR, whatever you decide upon.... all of the modern bikes are WAY different than the Yeti 575's we rode from the past. All for the better I might add.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    EDR, whatever you decide upon.... all of the modern bikes are WAY different than the Yeti 575's we rode from the past. All for the better I might add.
    Glad to hear you like the new designs even better. I know how much you liked your 575s. Thanks for the reassurance, as you can imagine with today's bike prices being basically twice what they were when I last purchased I'm very hesitant into jumping into something and ultimately regretting it.