Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Bike skills park

I am still planning a bike skills park for the PhoeniX area but I was hoping you guys out there could help me out with one thing. I am having trouble finding pay to play freeride bike parks that are not lift assisted.

I can only find Rays and Joyride as something to compare to. So if any of you guys know of any small parks around the country or world you have heard of that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
    Vic

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Supposedly Chicago is getting one soon. Not sure if it is free or pay to play.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-dozen-riders
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Supposedly Chicago is getting one soon. Not sure if it is free or pay to play.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-dozen-riders
    that is the garden bike park in chicago,, although it's been built up and ridden for years, the official LEGAL opening was last week.. I have never been there as i dont do jumps (just XC)...
    if you think its hard to get trails new authorized in AZ, you should try dealing with the wanksters of the cook country forest preserve district. they go in with chainsaws and cut out all our log-overs 2 years ago because they felt they were too dangerous. this spring they authorized a new trail section, and then after CAMBR put in hundreds of man-hours into clearing it and building it, they decided to rescind their permission and cancel it...
    another 5" of rain last nite on top of the 6-7" storm the weekend before last have pretty much shut down our legal trails. the unauthorized ones are still good if you get up really early and dont mind spending 3 hours cleaning the mud off after your bike

WGN channel 9 coverage of the Garden grand opening from kevin marley on Vimeo.

Last edited by longhairmike; 08-04-2010 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Turtlegrl. That is eXactly what I was looking for.

I am looking for places that you need to pay to ride there guys. I would love to do a volunteer city park type thing, but to be honest the only way to do the park the way I think it should be done is to do a private thing. Of course I want to make money, but if I was in your shoes in this state, I would want a place to hone skills that you just can't do anywhere else legally, safely, and on a daily basis.

All those parks are really cool and I would ride would as much as possible if it were in town. I have ridden McDowell a few times and love the pump track. Imagine going to a place that was built and maintained for you that you didn't have to sling any dirt or worry about it getting torn down. Anyway, I am hoping you guys can send me in the right direction so I can get some comparable ideas for a private park.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if its private, then YOU must own or rent the property, YOU must foot the insurance & liability, & YOU will be the one to get sued when someone gets hurt. It's much better to have a public entity taking care of all that.

mtbr member
    Green River WY had to add an additional rider to their current $1 million insurance policy. Also for the trails around Green River in order to get access and legalize them the local mountain bike association had to buy a $2 million insurance policy to satisfy the land owners. From what I remember the cost for the $2 million insurance policy wasn't too bad. They ended up doing a fund raising drive to raise the money for it. I figure if you get the right sponsors/advertisers you could come up with a pretty reasonable admission fee (and yearly pass) that would cover cost and make some money to keep for yourself. Do a survey and see what people think is reasonable then work backwards from there.

Reasonable to me would be a day pass for about $5 and a yearly pass for around $175. Now if it was air conditioned and indoors then I would say follow the Ray's model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    if its private, then YOU must own or rent the property, YOU must foot the insurance & liability, & YOU will be the one to get sued when someone gets hurt. It's much better to have a public entity taking care of all that.
    If he's gotten this far into the planning I'm sure he understands the implications.

There are sucessful models out there.

Hopefully the public sector will come around. Until about 10 years ago we had no skateparks to speak of. We now have quite a few good public/free skateparks.

It was an eye opener to go up to Whistler and see the dirt jumps and skills parks that are public/free.

Until that happens here I'd be happy to pay to play.

Thanks for putting the time into it Vic. Hopefully you can make the numbers work.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    try sending some celebrities ideas for your park. they love sponsoring stuff as long as their name is plastered all over it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, I already have a business model made up. The pricing is going to be based completely on how much the land, insurance and start up is going to cost. I already have a survey planned for all the bike shops in the valley, as well as one I will post on here and give out at parking lots.

When I have things finalized and on paper I will be contacting investors already interested in thsi project. I was simply trying to find as much info as possible about other parks in the country.

And CrankyMonkey, My business model as of right now has a range of $5-15$ day passes for teh weekday and $10-$20 weekend day pass. Of course there will be either monthly or season passes, but what I am going to provide will be like nothing else in the valley. I believe it will be a place for all ages and all skills to come together and hone skills that they can use on the local trails.

A park like this can't compete with the local trails, thats obvious, what I can do is provide jumps,stunts and races on a regular basis to keep people coming back.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have the pricing scheme worked out. I have a feeling you are going to get a bunch of money from me, especially if it's closer then MMP to my house.

suvlako
    The Boise Velo Park is rediculous place that I have visited and would easily spend a full day at and probably pay at least $10-$15 to ride. The kicker is that it's free. here is the website. Hope this helps and I wish you luck. We Tucsonan's are counting on you!

http://idahovelopark.org/

suvlako
    Correction. Here is the new website.

http://eaglebikepark.org/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    why don't you just model after a pay-to-ride skatepark? Vans charges around $8~10 per day.

mtbr member
    Looks like there is a new park opening in CA: http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...3A7165B006992E

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Assgrinder. Thats exactly what I had been doing, but I was trying to get an idea of what other parks were doing around the country, and just had trouble locating the pay parks on the internet.

A skate park is say at most 100,000 square feet of space. the park I am trying to put together will be at minimum 1,000,000 square feet, or 5 acres.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    the park I am trying to put together will be at minimum 1,000,000 square feet, or 5 acres.
    1,000,000sf = 22.95 acres

5 acres = 217,800sf

That's a big difference. I'd venture to say that 5 acres might even be too big for a "skills" park unless you got a killer deal on some land.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what has two thumbs and is retarded..... this guy!!!

1,000,000 is what the square footage of the place we just got offered by someone. thats 20 acres. haha.

JAG you have to understand that I this actually happens it will be pretty big. there will be multiple pump tracks, jump lines and bridge areas. as well as some type of bmx/mtb race course.

I know I would pay to ride in a place like this, but only if I didn't get bored after one trip.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    what has two thumbs and is retarded..... this guy!!!

And you want to be a business owner and drum up business here ? It seemed like a logical observation to me. Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have heard one is in the works for Flagstaff!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Easy Johnnie, I was just joking around since I put up some wrong info.

Raising Arizona, is there anywhere I could get some info on that. I didn't find anything on a quick google search

dirt visionary
    Yeah but I also heard that it was just alot of smoke being blown around . If it is in progress it is very very secret as not even the locals have any clue beyond the rumor.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    IT IS happening in flagstaff. just not til september. give up all hope. abandon ship. its not worth it. / thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    I have heard one is in the works for Flagstaff!
    There are so many places that they could open in flag that could be concidered a park but are just some back woods project that the locals setup. Would be be cool to see something open up though, but who would honestly go to it if everyone that lives there can just go down the street and ride for free?
    Last year there was talk about Bill Williams Ski lift area setting up a bike park at that property. AZ Bike in flag had all the scoop on that and was looking for volunteers to help build. Not sure watever happened to it though??
    Also there was a petition and business meeting for opening snowbowl up for bike trails... from the impression I got was that it was considered but the details had to be worked out... ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast