Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Good job! Bike for the Prescott Area??

When I left the Phoenix area, I sold my ReignX, as I doubted I needed it up in Prescott (plus was tight on funds @ the move time). It turns out my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu obsession is getting out of control and I want a nice bike to ride on local trails around here, mainly for getting in great shape for tourney's, and fun. Would something like a Reign be good, or would something like a TranceX be better? I haven't had alot of experience on trails around here, thus I'm asking. Could anyone make any other good bike recommendations for the trails around here? The most gnar my friends in Phoenix even get into is National, so....

Also, I don't know if this matters, I'm slightly under 6' (more torso) and I'm around 210lbs with no gear. I know this is pushing it for the smaller 4" trail bikes, I feel more comfy on something 5"+ of travel...

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Rob

P.S. - I want to stay under $2500-$2700 for the bike, I know this really limits new bikes, but I should be able to get something NICE that's used, for this price, was looking for opinions on what models to look for, thanks!

Huffy Rider
    I just bought a nearly new, but used Reign 0 for under $2k and ride in Prescott quite a bit. Works very well, climbs better then I can, and is super fun to ride down. Good luck.

Brenda

Elitest thrill junkie
    Trance X would be fine, also maybe a longer travel 29er like a sultan or niner WFO would work pretty well. You don't need a lot of travel for our mostly "intermediate" trails. New trails are being built, and these are mostly intermediate as well. We do have the "dells" section of very technical riding, but that's very slow-speed stuff with little flow, so you're not going to be enjoying a nice long downhill, and a heavy bike there takes a pretty big toll. If I was going to buy a new bike for just here, it would be something like a trance X, maybe 5-spot, maybe enduro, but that's about the limit on the travel for the riding here. Otherwise, you can absolutely use a bike like the reign in Flagstaff and South Mountain, but if you're primarily riding around here it may not be worth it. I ride pretty damn agressively, on some pretty big rigs, but fat tires and something like the trance X would be pretty optimal IMO. A trek scratch would probably work pretty well, is not too overbuilt, etc. I'd just be carefull of the ~6ish travel bikes, some will be pigs and not as much fun around here.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Powered by ice cream.
    The only bikes allowed in Prescott are rigid 29" Single Speed bikes.

They will help your Kung Fu for sure.

In all reality, seriously, if you want to get into shape and have fun with minimal investment (500-1000 new) , it is an extremely viable option. They don't limit your trail choice much, they do force you to go slower downhill a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes to Jayem, new trails built are sadly "more of the same" read borning and similar to a paved bike path in their technical difficulty. Get a ridgid bike, SS, or XC rig, some spandex and you will fit right in!!!!!! PMBA got us all stoked that our day was coming and we would be getting some variety in our trails up here(read vert, DH, FR and skills park), but unfortunately more of the same.........................And that is why P-town is sadly not a big draw for riders that want big stuff to ride and will never be a "destination", only an escape from the Heat of the valley for Phoenicians. Seriously, you don't need much bike up here.

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    PMBA got us all stoked that our day was coming and we would be getting some variety in our trails up here(read vert, DH, FR and skills park), but unfortunately more of the same...
    Whine much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes to Jayem, new trails built are sadly "more of the same" read borning and similar to a paved bike path in their technical difficulty. Get a ridgid bike, SS, or XC rig, some spandex and you will fit right in!!!!!! PMBA got us all stoked that our day was coming and we would be getting some variety in our trails up here(read vert, DH, FR and skills park), fortunately our day is coming.........................And that is why P-town will be a big draw for riders that want big stuff to ride and will be a "destination", and escape from the Heat of the valley for Phoenicians. Seriously, you don't need much bike up here.
    I fixed it for you. Your welcome.

I have it on good authority that next on the block is a TECHNICAL trail for the Prescott area.

And just to serve up a piece of poo pie. Instead of throwing it, why don't all of "the talkers" actually come and take part and help out with trail maintenance days and the likes. This stuff can't be built over night, but everyone wants to "whine and cry" about it.
    And PMBA is the driving force behind this new tech trail, it's being mapped out now and should pretty bad ass after it done. The more people that get involved the faster/quicker these things can come to fruition.

Powered by ice cream.
    Yes to Jayem, new trails built are sadly "more of the same" read borning and similar to a paved bike path in their technical difficulty. Get a ridgid bike, SS, or XC rig, some spandex and you will fit right in!!!!!! PMBA got us all stoked that our day was coming and we would be getting some variety in our trails up here(read vert, DH, FR and skills park), but unfortunately more of the same.........................And that is why P-town is sadly not a big draw for riders that want big stuff to ride and will never be a "destination", only an escape from the Heat of the valley for Phoenicians. Seriously, you don't need much bike up here.
    We have oodles of technical riding. The only thing we lack is long downhill runs with jumps IMO.

Oh yes, you can ride your rigid SS in the tech stuff too.

Last edited by Enel; 09-10-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Oh yes, you can ride your rigid SS in the tech stuff too.
    Oops, forgot that your rigid SS bike has to be steel because it's real. (Lycra optional but comfy).

Elitest thrill junkie
    We have oodles of technical riding. The only thing we lack is long downhill runs with jumps IMO.
    Yeah, but sadly no flow to that IMO. It's not even like riding in Sedona, and although I like doing the dells every once and a while, it's not my favorite kind of riding or even close. It's kind of "just because I can doesn't mean I have/want to" types of things. We also lack long downhills with drops, or long downhills with bermed/banked turns, or long downhills with other technical stuff, and so on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man

I have it on good authority that next on the block is a TECHNICAL trail for the Prescott area.

And just to serve up a piece of poo pie. Instead of throwing it, why don't all of "the talkers" actually come and take part and help out with trail maintenance days and the likes. This stuff can't be built over night, but everyone wants to "whine and cry" about it.
    And PMBA is the driving force behind this new tech trail, it's being mapped out now and should pretty bad ass after it done. The more people that get involved the faster/quicker these things can come to fruition.

Now that is an awesome reply to a POC post! TLS36 love ya bro but you do a great deal of whining on MTBR about P-town and it's lack of gravity rides. IMHO, Spruce, Smith, 305 have some of the best downhill's around. And like Pedal-man said it takes time to get thru the redtape and actually get trails built. I don't make to all the trail maintenance sessions, but I get out when I can...haven't seen you out there yet??

locked - time out
    May 2005
    so, I just moved recently from the PNW, and am wondering where, in Prescott, are the jumps. Skinnys. Teeter totters. Berms. biker specific trail features ya know? or do I just not know where to ride my bigger bikes?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gmookher
    so, I just moved recently from the PNW, and am wondering where, in Prescott, are the jumps. Skinnys. Teeter totters. Berms. biker specific trail features ya know? or do I just not know where to ride my bigger bikes?
    flagstaff

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Now that is an awesome reply to a POC post! TLS36 love ya bro but you do a great deal of whining on MTBR about P-town and it's lack of gravity rides. IMHO, Spruce, Smith, 305 have some of the best downhill's around. And like Pedal-man said it takes time to get thru the redtape and actually get trails built. I don't make to all the trail maintenance sessions, but I get out when I can...haven't seen you out there yet??

You forgot the bottom half of West Spruce -- great trail IMO.

mtbr member

Hmmm, I help when I can. So not everyone wants to "whine & cry" you should refrase that. Its pretty funny about the more people that get involved quote. I tried to volunteer to be on the Trail crew, but got ignored . Was asked by a bunch of peeps to come sign up during the open forum at P college to be on the crew, and I dd. BUT. I'm not crying, just saying. I help out a bunch when I can.
    SHITBIRD

26 ain't dead
    I have a 08 Trance X. Completely adequate for Preskitt when I lived there, and now in Flagstaff. May not be full tilt kilt downhill bomber or weight nazi approved XC but works pretty damn good for everything. 140-150mm fork is about all I still want to change on it. But i love the thing, and it was cheap.

And I think the Lakeshore/Willow trails flow pretty damn well. Both sides are 99% cleanable, with practice. Its not fast by any means but I still have a blast riding it, although I ride trials so that probably explains a lot...

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap-
    ... although I ride trials so that probably explains a lot...
    I was out there today and thinking a trials bike would be just the ticket. Too bad the discipline is near dead in the USA

Elitest thrill junkie

And I think the Lakeshore/Willow trails flow pretty damn well. Both sides are 99% cleanable, with practice. Its not fast by any means but I still have a blast riding it, although I ride trials so that probably explains a lot...
    If that's the case though, I'd say that EVERY and ALL trails flow pretty damn well, because you won't really be able to find any that are slower and involve more super-power moves to clean stuff. It's kind of like saying that there's year round riding in Alaska. Well, you can ride year round, but then EVERY place has year-round riding. On the other hand, at least for my definition, the dells is not "flowy" riding. With good flowy riding you don't have to pedal much, still have to manage through technical obstacles, but you keep your speed up and use it to get around/over stuff. Tons of fun and the speed keeps you cool and makes it fun. That is not what the dells are like by a longshot.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    If that's the case though, I'd say that EVERY and ALL trails flow pretty damn well, because you won't really be able to find any that are slower and involve more super-power moves to clean stuff. It's kind of like saying that there's year round riding in Alaska. Well, you can ride year round, but then EVERY place has year-round riding. On the other hand, at least for my definition, the dells is not "flowy" riding. With good flowy riding you don't have to pedal much, still have to manage through technical obstacles, but you keep your speed up and use it to get around/over stuff. Tons of fun and the speed keeps you cool and makes it fun. That is not what the dells are like by a longshot.
    Wuss

26 ain't dead
    I was out there today and thinking a trials bike would be just the ticket. Too bad the discipline is near dead in the USA
    Ive been wanting to ride out there for ages...Tried talking to the city few years ago about the possibility of a world/national round but they didn't really grasp the idea and were disinterested when I said the word "motorized". However, Ive been bugging Chris as well and might have a bettter shot now that the city could use some revenue...We shall see.

Does suck to see trials as such a small sport in the US, but there are positives and negatives with that...we do see a lot more interest from the enduro/singletrack crowd now with all the top guys coming from trials.

Powered by ice cream.
    Ive been wanting to ride out there for ages...Tried talking to the city few years ago about the possibility of a world/national round but they didn't really grasp the idea and were disinterested when I said the word "motorized". However, Ive been bugging Chris as well and might have a bettter shot now that the city could use some revenue...We shall see.

Does suck to see trials as such a small sport in the US, but there are positives and negatives with that...we do see a lot more interest from the enduro/singletrack crowd now with all the top guys coming from trials.
    I was talking bicycle trials, but a trials moto on those trails would be a hoot and would hardly hurt the place.

26 ain't dead
    I was talking bicycle trials, but a trials moto on those trails would be a hoot and would hardly hurt the place.
    Ahhh...but yeah bicycle trials is pretty much nonexistent. I actually had a Echo Mod for a while but sold it due to lack of riders. Although my brother in PV just picked up a Czar I think...you may see him out there.

bollocks
    Mar 2007
    If you keep getting off the bike, I can see why the trails do not flow for you.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is to the naysayers. You have to understand that the government wheels turn very slow. We now have a voice that is STARTING to be heard by the PNF and the City of Prescott. Remember, this thing (PMBA) is only 5 months old. We are working toward a technical trial with the PNF. This can't happen overnight, and it can't happen without the help of lots of volunteers. The more people who show up for the trail work days, the louder our voice gets, and the more the FS hears us. The PNF doesn't have a trail building crew on standby waiting to build a trail for those of us who make a request. The work has to come from the community, and the community has built the latest trails (396,327,317). It is a lot easier to hear the concerns of the folks who show up and get their hands dirty, than the ones who chirp in from the sidelines. The random and anonymous comments will be given their due respect and attention.

To those that would like to help, please check the PMBA website (Prescottmtb.org) or our facebook page for upcoming trail work days and committee meetings. We could use help on trails and boring administrative type things. For those that put their names on lists and have not been contacted, thank you for volunteering, and we will try to contact you soon. Again, check the web for our coming events. There are only 8-10 people pushing this bus up the hill, and Prescott has some BIG hills. Have some patience, and come help out when you can.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and the hijacking. Any bike with air in the tires is a good bike to ride in Prescott.

Thanks for listening,
    Shu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris hosking

Thanks SHU for the write up.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chris hosking

Nice Chris

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SHU
    This is to the naysayers. You have to understand that the government wheels turn very slow. We now have a voice that is STARTING to be heard by the PNF and the City of Prescott. Remember, this thing (PMBA) is only 5 months old. We are working toward a technical trial with the PNF. This can't happen overnight, and it can't happen without the help of lots of volunteers. The more people who show up for the trail work days, the louder our voice gets, and the more the FS hears us. The PNF doesn't have a trail building crew on standby waiting to build a trail for those of us who make a request. The work has to come from the community, and the community has built the latest trails (396,327,317). It is a lot easier to hear the concerns of the folks who show up and get their hands dirty, than the ones who chirp in from the sidelines. The random and anonymous comments will be given their due respect and attention.

To those that would like to help, please check the PMBA website (Prescottmtb.org) or our facebook page for upcoming trail work days and committee meetings. We could use help on trails and boring administrative type things. For those that put their names on lists and have not been contacted, thank you for volunteering, and we will try to contact you soon. Again, check the web for our coming events. There are only 8-10 people pushing this bus up the hill, and Prescott has some BIG hills. Have some patience, and come help out when you can.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and the hijacking. Any bike with air in the tires is a good bike to ride in Prescott.

Thanks for listening,
    Shu
    Finally a intelligent response to bring to the whine & cheese party! You running for office anytime Shu?

Master Gardener
    Have a little faith, party people... the wheels are turning. On an expanded trail system that includes more connectors and loops in areas that currently have no trails at all AND tech trails are in the works. Both shorter fun technical loops and also (longer term... next 2 years?), bonafide DH trails heading (most likely) off of Sierra Prieta.

When those trails are completed, the Skull Valley Cafe is going to need to stock up on beer and burritos to handle the gravity rider traffic heading up from the Valley.

Anyone who expected things to happen any faster has never dealt with the Prescott National Forest before.

Patience, grasshopper. And just having patience isn't enough; you also need to get involved.

“Patience is not passive; on the contrary, it is active; it is concentrated strength” -E.G. Bulwer-Lytton.

26 ain't dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Anyone who expected things to happen any faster has never dealt with the Prescott National Forest before.
    Thats for sure, I couldn't believe the run around when I used to handle permits for trials events at Alto, which we have been holding there since the early 90's. And they acted like each time was something completely new, no definitive answers on anything, creating several GPS maps because they would "lose" one, not signing off on permits until the last minute, on and on. This was with B Cook. I haven't dealt with the newer generation.

So I can definitely understand time delays on a project like that...Its a frustrating process.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    OK so I point out some of P-town's shortcomings and everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I guess the truth hurts. Good write up SHU. going29, no offense, but have you ever been on a DH specific trail? Calling Spruce, Smith and 305 DH runs is like calling our Gov't honest! Yes you do descend, but far from a DH or FR trail. And yes, I have built and volunteered for trail maintenance, most recently with Heli and traildoc in Dona, and believe it or not on a non DH trail. I have also helped build FR and DH trails as well, here in AZ and moto trails back East. pedal man, glad to hear some wheels are turning but why is it that PMBA sought our volunteers to help build and advocate and had the support of the local DH community and then we were not included in this supposed DH trail? Does it make more sense to get input from XC riders for a DH trail?? That defies logic! Why would PMBA not want the support of those with the most interest in these types of trails? A good friend was offered to be involved in any DH trail trails then was ignored. And people wonder why "change" never occurs, I am ready to build different trails.

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for support from the forum. I think it makes sense to get the opinions of professional trail builders before taking on the task of building a DH specific trail. In my opinion, we are couple of years away from getting a trail like that approved by the FS. My guess is that we will visit some areas that have trails like this on public land (Grand Junctions "Free Lunch" for example) I know there are many others. We will have to talk to their land managers and trail builders about the challenges they faced with the approval through construction phases. I again urge all of you who are interested in this type of riding to get involved with the club and have your voice heard. We are working on contacting some of the volunteers who signed up at the PC meeting. Those of you who are still interested in helping, contact me via PM on this site.

Be careful not to paint the whole club with the "cross country" brush. Yes, some of us used to race downhill and still enjoy it more than going up. We are helping the FS complete trails that are CC in nature, because that is what they are currently working on. These trails are planned years in advance and have to go through NEPA (National Evironmental Protection Act) studies and approval before a Mccloud hits the dirt. We are in communication with them about doing a technical trail in the near future, but even that still needs approval and NEPA.

I again urge all of you who are interested in a truly diverse network of trails to get involved. It would be nice to have a united voice when we ask for something from the powers that be.

Thanks again,
    Shu

mtbr member

Good job! One do-it-all bike

Are you setting out to get one bike that covers the majority of the riding of the Prescott trails? If so, it’s been my experience that a five-ish inch FS under 30 pounds works great here. A good 36 fork helps with the all the rocks, but a 32 will be ok. Like others have said, there is no shuttle-like DH here. But there are lots of sections that have you pointing downhill often. So don’t be shy with your front brake choice. My advice is to go with a four-piston brake with a good size front rotor. That bike will take you from 305 to Granite Basin and everything in between from sun up to sun down if you want. Good luck with your decision.

Jeff

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    Are you setting out to get one bike that covers the majority of the riding of the Prescott trails? If so, it’s been my experience that a five-ish inch FS under 30 pounds works great here. A good 36 fork helps with the all the rocks, but a 32 will be ok. Like others have said, there is no shuttle-like DH here. But there are lots of sections that have you pointing downhill often. So don’t be shy with your front brake choice. My advice is to go with a four-piston brake with a good size front rotor. That bike will take you from 305 to Granite Basin and everything in between from sun up to sun down if you want. Good luck with your decision.

Jeff
    Agree with most of this, except the 4-piston part. Having 4 or 2 pistons doesn't really mean much at all. My codes (4 pistons) kinda suck, my hope M4s rock. The size of the master cylinder vs the pistons and associated mechanical advantage is important, but the number of pistons really isn't. There are plenty of good 2-piston brakes out there that will work out great, not to mention that you don't need as much rear brake as front.

If you like to enjoy the downhills, then go with Jeff's advice. I enjoy the downhills greatly, and a bike like that will be pretty fun out here. If anything, get a bike that has 5-6" travel and around 30lbs, and then you can pick up a cheap 29er SS at some point for the many "buff" trails we have. Then you'd have the spectrum up here covered pretty well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    SHU your point is well taken. I know the Aerie trail in Sedona took years to get approval and just now is built, and that is not even a DH or FR trail. Just the fact that people are talking about other types of trails is progress and yes, building it the right way is key and so doing our homework by looking at other DH trails and and how they came to be I think is important. That said I would love to be part of it, whether it is in planning, coordinating with FS or building. I have some contacts at PNF from working as an ASI instructor since 2006. PM me if you can, would love to be involved. I just wanted to express that some of us felt left out after signing up. Thanks! AZ: Had to rebuild my Code lever but will give input on what I think of the 4 piston thing when it is working.

Elitest thrill junkie
    SHU your point is well taken. I know the Aerie trail in Sedona took years to get approval and just now is built, and that is not even a DH or FR trail. Just the fact that people are talking about other types of trails is progress and yes, building it the right way is key and so doing our homework by looking at other DH trails and and how they came to be I think is important. That said I would love to be part of it, whether it is in planning, coordinating with FS or building. I have some contacts at PNF from working as an ASI instructor since 2006. PM me if you can, would love to be involved. I just wanted to express that some of us felt left out after signing up. Thanks! AZ: Had to rebuild my Code lever but will give input on what I think of the 4 piston thing when it is working.
    That's a debate that has raged on for a while though. What percentage of "DH trails" were built "right" as far as process and everything else? Did they wait for approval in Flagstaff? Not saying we should go out and build trails right now, but it seems that DHers have always had to take a back-seat as far as trail development and building, and they've simply done what they felt they had to. In the PNF we have continued to build the kind of trails that IMBA said to NOT build. On one had it's great that we've done a lot more connectors and stuff like that, but so far the "intermediate riding" has been perpetuated, keeping us from becomming a decent riding destination, to compete with Flagstaff and Sedona. That doesn't mean I disagree with what's already been said, but I think this is also "the way it is". I'm going to try and make the ride on Sunday!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Agree with most of this, except the 4-piston part. Having 4 or 2 pistons doesn't really mean much at all. My codes (4 pistons) kinda suck, my hope M4s rock. The size of the master cylinder vs the pistons and associated mechanical advantage is important, but the number of pistons really isn't. There are plenty of good 2-piston brakes out there that will work out great, not to mention that you don't need as much rear brake as front.

If you like to enjoy the downhills, then go with Jeff's advice. I enjoy the downhills greatly, and a bike like that will be pretty fun out here. If anything, get a bike that has 5-6" travel and around 30lbs, and then you can pick up a cheap 29er SS at some point for the many "buff" trails we have. Then you'd have the spectrum up here covered pretty well.
    Every two-piston I tried, felt weak on the downhill's here. And I tried a bunch. XT's, juicy's, Formula's, Magura's.The first ride I switched out my front to Shimano Saint four pistons, the world was right on the downhill's. So much more power and balance than the all the previous two piston's I was running. Although, the two piston XT's work great for the rear.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Go look at a Trek fuel ex8 also!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    OK so I point out some of P-town's shortcomings and everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I guess the truth hurts. Good write up SHU. going29, no offense, but have you ever been on a DH specific trail? Calling Spruce, Smith and 305 DH runs is like calling our Gov't honest! Yes you do descend, but far from a DH or FR trail. And yes, I have built and volunteered for trail maintenance, most recently with Heli and traildoc in Dona, and believe it or not on a non DH trail. I have also helped build FR and DH trails as well, here in AZ and moto trails back East. pedal man, glad to hear some wheels are turning but why is it that PMBA sought our volunteers to help build and advocate and had the support of the local DH community and then we were not included in this supposed DH trail? Does it make more sense to get input from XC riders for a DH trail?? That defies logic! Why would PMBA not want the support of those with the most interest in these types of trails? A good friend was offered to be involved in any DH trail trails then was ignored. And people wonder why "change" never occurs, I am ready to build different trails.
    TLS36 - sorry to get my panties in a bunch! Yes I have ridden a few DH specific trails in my days, probably not to the extent that you or Heli or others here have. I do prefer to "earn" my downhill and not get shuttled. As for calling Spruce, Smith and 305 "runs", you didn't read my post correctly. What I said or meant is for what we have available here in P-Town those trails have a downhill element to them IMHO, and you can throw in 37/40 into that mix as well. Are they DH or FR specific? Not at all, probably the closest is Mingus?
    I think there are some great things going on here in Prescott, I also think there is a great variety of trails being built. I think Dells/Lakeshore are awesome trails for the technical riders. It's pretty cool that there is a forum for us to voice our opinions about where/what we ride, I just got a little excited/bummed when I read posts that whine & bash the progress and don't offer a valid solution.

locked - time out
    May 2005
    to answer the OP's question, having just moved here, with a smal arsenal of bikes, I ride my

1) 70.5* HA ETSX 130mm air fork on 2.25s alot
    2) Sedona makes good use of my 67.5* HA ML8 on 160mm Van on 2.35s

Cant seem to find places to take a heavy bike like SX Trail or a Demo 8, or a DH place to shuttle up with my fox40 equipped ride.

Also find my 4" 1.9tire equipped bike to be a bit lite for here, but some parts of flag and p town it may be fine in.

I need help understanding how to ride the prescott trails etc..dont seem to flow into each other the same way s'dona does..

sprocket
    OP's

1) 70.5* HA ETSX 130mm air fork on 2.25s alot
    2) S 67.5* HA ML8 on 160mm Van on 2.35s

e SX Trail or a Demo 8, or a DH my fox40 ride.

y 4" 1.9tire flag and p town it may be fine in.

OK!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I need help understanding how to ride the prescott trails etc..dont seem to flow into each other the same way s'dona does..

The City of Prescott is working hard to get the Circle Trail completed as well. Then all the trail systems will be "connected" in one form or another.

The PNF also needs to "condense all the numbers" (IMO) and assign trail names to these as well. It gets pretty confusing for some one new to under stand trail #'s......

Example: Granite Basin

From Cayuse #346 up to #347 down to #345 to #351 to #349 and so on.

You can see the "glazed look" in their eyes after all that.

Too many numbers........need to make them "loop names" and/or "color coded" to make it easier for out of towners and locals alike.
    Last edited by pedal-man; 09-12-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The City of Prescott is working hard to get the Circle Trail completed as well. Then all the trail systems will be "connected" in one form or another.

The PNF also needs to get rid of all the numbers (IMO) and assign trail names to these as well. It gets pretty confusing for some one new to under stand trail #'s......

Example: Granite Basin

From Cayuse #346 up to #347 down to #345 to #351 to #349 and so on.

You can see the "glazed look" in their eyes after all that.

Too many numbers........need to make them "loop names" and/or "color coded" to make it easier for out of towners and locals alike.
    Most of them do have names, mint wash, chimbly springs, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    James....I think you're missing the point. Yes we all know they have "special names" for all the trail numbers but people also know these trails by different names as well depending on who you ask

ie: Bear claw / Honey Bucket

#346 up to #347 down to #345 to #351 to #349

could all be known as "Outer Granite Basin Loop" or something to that effect.

There are so many little "connector trails" and/or little sections with trails numbers that could just assume an already existing trail number.

And tls36 / Dr. Tom, I am happy you want to get involved in the local trail system and help build it to riders specs

The riding community needs to come out and put forth a real effort and get their "hands dirty" in what PMBA is trying to put forth. All the committee meeting are open to the public and anyone can attend, this is a good way to keep in touch with what is going on in the community and how PMBA is working with the forces that be to get things done.

Remember, PMBA has only "officially" been an organization since the kick off at the Whiskey Off-Road at the end of April. So it's only been a little over 4 months. IMO I think things are progressing quite well with fund raising and trail building etc.

mtbr member
    The PNF also needs to get rid of all the numbers (IMO) and assign trail names to these as well. It gets pretty confusing for some one new to under stand trail #'s......
    It isn't that complicated. Most MTBr's are intelligent enough to figure out connecting trail numbers. Even if it "seems" confusing when studying the numbers and routes on paper or online prior to riding, it all pretty much makes sense when you actually get out there IMO. But then again I live here. The PNF does a decent job marking the trails I believe. Why change over all the existing numbers just to go with something different?

Jeff

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, id say the pnf has done a good job of marking system trails@ all intersections, so you know what trail you are on. The only one that comes to mind as not marked is Boy Scout/126. What does make things confusing is the fact that we have so many short trails and trails that don't really go anywhere. This is compounded by high trail density in some areas. More isn't necessarily better, as in other regions you have much longer well-built trails that connect to other trails. In these areas it's usually a lot less confusing, just because it's all a lot more straightforward.

mtbr member
    There is more truth to the benefit of riding a rigid SS bike in Prescott every day unfortunately. The trail building crew has completely taken over the trail network in Prescott as far as im concerned. Yes they are doing good things. But they are also re routing trails and in the process removing any technical features that were there before they started their campaign. Closing down roads that have been in the area for decades and used by motorcycles, horses and bicycles. Why? They will say for fear of erosion. Trails that me and my buddies actually used to shuttle are more and more being turned into fully rigid grandma and grandpa trails. New routes i can understand, but blocking off the old route that had all the features in it? I would like to know where they think they get the authority to do this. In fact i would be careful to even mention the few remaining tech trails we have in the area, in fear that theyll interpret this as an invitation to make them more gramps friendly. These guys also demonize trail builders, and destroy trails they dont approve of. Now they want to build a DH trail into Skull Valley? Good luck with that one...

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by snubbie
    There is more truth to the benefit of riding a rigid SS bike in Prescott every day unfortunately. The trail building crew has completely taken over the trail network in Prescott as far as im concerned. Yes they are doing good things. But they are also re routing trails and in the process removing any technical features that were there before they started their campaign. Closing down roads that have been in the area for decades and used by motorcycles, horses and bicycles. Why? They will say for fear of erosion. Trails that me and my buddies actually used to shuttle are more and more being turned into fully rigid grandma and grandpa trails. New routes i can understand, but blocking off the old route that had all the features in it? I would like to know where they think they get the authority to do this. In fact i would be careful to even mention the few remaining tech trails we have in the area, in fear that theyll interpret this as an invitation to make them more gramps friendly. These guys also demonize trail builders, and destroy trails they dont approve of. Now they want to build a DH trail into Skull Valley? Good luck with that one...
    they sound like my kind of people.
    strong work.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by snubbie
    Now they want to build a DH trail into Skull Valley? Good luck with that one...
    I would definitely want to be able to ride up some way (not on the DH trail) to access it without a shuttle, I think it should tie into other trails, maybe off of Quartz Mtn or something, so it can be used as part of a bigger ride, rather than "just" a shuttle run to skull valley.

mtbr member
    I know that area well from riding dirt bikes and mtn bikes and i just cant picture it..Theres west spruce trail (which people tried to beef up at one point) and the road that it branches off of (which passes through private property in Skull Valley). That shuttle was long with not very much appeal. A Skull Valley shuttle would be soooo long. I agree that it would have to be incorporated into a longer ride, but not many in the DH crowd (ie mainly shuttle runs) are up for this. Below the lookout is private property and it sure does get flat in there for a long time. As you probably remember Jay there used to be a DH run off of copper basin before the lookout that went down towards the road to Wilhoit, and that was actually a pretty fun little run with a short shuttle. There are many jeep trails and washes that go through to Wilhoit which are very flat and sandy. I dont know man this just sounds like a very poorly thought out concept... All that being said, i really hope they recruit someone who actually knows a thing or two about flow to help design this trail.

Master Gardener
    Good news: You're welcome to get involved, snubbie. Nothing stopping you. All are welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast