mtbr member

bike light recomendations

So in the "Mountain Bike in the Moonlight, 6/13/2009" thread I was planning on going but went through my box of road bike stuff and found my light (OLD nimh/halogen) but the battery pack was glued to the bottom of the box by some weird black goo and doesn't power the light anymore.

Anyhow, recommendations on a new light will be much appreciated. Don't want to break the bank but don't want to break my neck. Thanks!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I just bought a light set from Dinotte which as an 800 lumen LED for the bar and a 400 lumen LED for the helmet for only 450 shells. I know it is a bit much but considering that bought separate they'd have been about $720 - a total of 40% savings. Batteries are superlight and last for 2.5 hours on high but medium is plenty enough except for the fastest of times, which extends their life to 5 hours. 10 hours on low but haven't tested them. Quality is pretty top notch and customer service was A-one for me. If its in your budget, these lights are plenty good. I have no complaints yet, but I've only took them on a couple of rides. They might actually be too much light if you're only going to use them now and then.

Check'm out: http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=648826241
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Check out the light shootout posted on the main MTBR page. It contains a lot of very useful information.

I just bought a Light & Motion Seca 700 (LED) to replace the ARC that my wife ran over with the car (long story...don't ask). I'm partial to L&M because they have excellent products, awesome customer service and are located right next door in CA. My buddy is a divemaster and L&M is big in the dive community -- very reputable there too. So I figured I would continue to support them.

The Seca 700 has excellent ratings for lumens (brightness) and coverage. The beam is a little better than my ARC in that it's more even. There are 6 LED's on the Seca -- 4 point ahead and 2 point somewhat down. This gives a very nice amount of coverage ahead on the trail but also directly in front of you.

Anyway, check out the MTBR shootout because the information there is about the best I've seen. Then decide what's best for you based on cost, performance, durability, reputation, etc.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

A plethora of pinatas
    If $$ is a concern, the Niterider Minewt X2 is a great option - http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/niterid...newt-wireless/ . You can get one for around $140 and it is light and throws out 150 lumens on high.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    If $$ is a concern, the Niterider Minewt X2 is a great option - http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/niterid...newt-wireless/ . You can get one for around $140 and it is light and throws out 150 lumens on high.
    Is 140 lumens enough for the MTB? My ARC put out around 600 lumens and the Seca 700 I just bought is just under 700...and I can't imagine going less than that. My first light was a dual halogen that was like 200 lumens and I thought it was way too dim -- too easy to over ride the light beam (which is scary).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    $ isn't a concern so much as how much I will actually use it. I am more leaning towards a helmet based solution so I can look up (high beams) if over-riding is an issue. I was going to hit performance and see how far 200 bux goes. I don't know my friend has a niterider moab I might be able to borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by temperedbythesun
    $ isn't a concern so much as how much I will actually use it. I am more leaning towards a helmet based solution so I can look up (high beams) if over-riding is an issue. I was going to hit performance and see how far 200 bux goes. I don't know my friend has a niterider moab I might be able to borrow.
    $200 won't go very far unless you can find a closeout deal on an older-technology HID light.

If you want something helmet-based, then definitely consider the L&M products. The weight of the L&M lamp units is more centered, as opposed to the NiteRider (and other brands) that have the weight in front of the mount. What this means is that the L&M won't be pushing your helmet down over your eyes, whereas other products have this tendency.

Also...I used to put my light on my helmet until I got my first "good" light -- the L&M ARC (my prior lights were all crappy halogens). It was then I realized that having all that light on your head drowned out too much of the shadows (light is in your line of sight), making it hard to make out contours of the land, rocks, etc. I now ride with the light on the bars, and it works better for me. Others will disagree with me and YMMV.

Regardless, I am of firm belief that you either spend a good amount of $$ and get a great light (like $350+), or find a great light on the used market. Lots of folks out there are getting rid of their HID setups for the new LED's, so finding a used one for <$200 should be easy. If you do get a used light, just make sure you know how the battery was treated, because if the battery fails it's like $200 to replace.

Thx...Doug

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Is 140 lumens enough for the MTB? My ARC put out around 600 lumens and the Seca 700 I just bought is just under 700...and I can't imagine going less than that. My first light was a dual halogen that was like 200 lumens and I thought it was way too dim -- too easy to over ride the light beam (which is scary).

Thx...Doug
    It depends on the rider. We have been doing 1-2 night rides/week for years and 150 lumens does seem to be enought for MTB'ing. My buddy just rides one on his helmet and it seems to be plenty for him. I use my Minewt as a helmet light along with a Trinewt (486 lumens) on the bars and that set-up works best for me. I also use just the Minewt for commuting or road rides at night.

I started out night riding with a halogen Niterider Trail Rat with a 10w bulb and used it for several years before the HID's hit the market.

If $$ is not a concern, I say buy the brighest light you can afford. You can get the Niterider Slickrock 900 (900 lumens!!) for $500.
    Marty

mtbr member
    L & M Seca 700 as well. Can't beat it. Puts Niterider to shame.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Also...I used to put my light on my helmet until I got my first "good" light -- the L&M ARC (my prior lights were all crappy halogens). It was then I realized that having all that light on your head drowned out too much of the shadows (light is in your line of sight), making it hard to make out contours of the land, rocks, etc. I now ride with the light on the bars, and it works better for me. Others will disagree with me and YMMV.
    Thx...Doug
    I agree that riding with just a helmet light makes it very difficult to see the contours of the trail. I perfer one on the bars and one of the helmet. If I was only to run 1 light, I would just run a handlebar mounted light.
    Marty

mtbr member
    gonna borrow a light for this weekend then likely purchase something later on strictly due to time and local availability.
    Last edited by temperedbythesun; 06-08-2009 at 10:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Go to the Dinotte web site http://www.dinottelighting.com/ and they have the 400L on sale for just $209. I have been using the 200L for a year and a half and I love it. Great quality. This is a great deal for a 400 lumen light.

Members who have read this thread: 0