dje
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

which bike for az trails??

Im heading to Az. for a mtb trip in March, just wondering which bike would be a better choice. Im shipping 1 bike over for me, then renting one for my wife. I will be riding the Sedona and Phoenix area trails.Im a Michigan sport class xc rider/racer. Bikes are: Full suspension giant nrs or Gary fisher rig SS 29 er.
    Seems most pics ive seen of az riders are on f/s bikes. Thanks for the help.. doug

parenting for gnarness
    If you can only have one, the FS will give you the most flexibility for the terrain here. We have everything from hardpack to very technical. Dunno what you are used to, but most people appreciate the suspension if they are new to rocks. Have fun!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I say either. The NRS is a very XC race orientated FS bike, not very well suited to a lot of trails that incorperate a lot of rough terrain, and the 29er may actually roll down stuff better than your NRS. You'd be bounced around a lot more on the 29 hardtail, but the NRS angles are steep...

I don't care what other people say, but the NRS is exactly the kind of suspension bike that I would NOT buy to ride in Arizona, whereas a 29er hardtail is something that I'd consider to have fun on, although the nastiest and bumpiest terrain will jarr you a lot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

dirt visionary
    I say just rent both bikes out here. There are some nice FS rentals in sedona. Plus the shop guys will get you pointed in the right dirrection as far as trails. I was riding a 3.5" FS up in sedona last time and it was fun but jarred the hell out of me and my bike took a beating . Next time up I will be enjoying the trails more with my 5"x5" or 6"x6" rigs as I know it will be more enjoyable. For what you pay shipping your bike you will be close to the rental fee for a day IIRC.