mtbr member

Bicycle choice dilema!

Okay so I used to ride hardtails exclusively then built a homebrew SS. Then I bought a 29SS hardtail and loved it. I tried a full suspension geared bike and got rid of the SS's and got a 26 FS 5 inch bike.

I kinda want my 29SS back! I miss the simplicity,lack of noise and honestly the challenge. But I do have fun with the FS from time to time, and gears don't always suck, especially when I am out of shape or just tired. Now that I have a job again, opportunities for a new bike are opening up in the next year or so- but I promised I would limit myself to one MTB and one roadbike (my vintage Benotto) last year-so two MTB's are not in the equation (especially since I told my wife about the promise-should have kept my mouth shut!)

Anyone else ever have the same conundrum? What did you do? Maybe I'll clean up my bike put it on CL and see what happens. If anyone wants to trade thier 29 SS HT for a 26 FS geared bike....

Ahhh the pain....
    I have 2 bikes...a geared carbon road bike and a SS29r. I ride the MTB about 3 out of every 4 rides and find that I even ride my road bike like a SS when climbing (out of the saddle). I have found that in order to be a stronger on the SS, I have to RIDE the SS. In other words, I don't believe the training and benefit from riding the road bike transfers 100% to the SS. It's kind of like being a marathon runner and then expecting to jump on the bike and be an endurance cyclist...there's some benefit, but you muscles are simply working differently.

So I think you have to decide if you want to the race thing, I think you need to either stick with a geared road bike and geared MTB (so the training "combines" better) or do most of your rides on the SS.

If you're out for fun, it's hard to beat the simplicity and low maintenance of a SS. You'll end up getting a better workout since there is no "EASY" button under your thumbs.

Good luck w/ your decision!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    sell the 26" f/s and buy a hardtail 29er that you can run either ss or geared. A 2 for 1 type deal??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06whitetaco View Post
    sell the 26" f/s and buy a hardtail 29er that you can run either ss or geared. A 2 for 1 type deal??
    I couldn't agree more... for me it would be a 1x10 or maybe 2x10 on hardtail 29er...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Prime
    It's ok to break a promise when it's bike related, I do it all of the time.

How about an El Mariachi. Very versatile geared or SS, nice geometry, decently all purposey.

mtbr member
    It's single speed, rigid, and it's got those big wheels to go over stuff. Technology is overrated.

I dunno, I'd rather have a full squish. Why beat yourself up if you don't have to? I vote 29" full suspension. Newer suspension designs are making the gap between HT and FS smaller and smaller.

Prime
    cstem, pm sent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I say try and sell the FS and see what you can get for it. From your post, it seems like you want a more basic bike.

I used to have a 26" hardtail and now have a 29 rigid SS from bikesdirect. I love my bike and dont regret getting rid of the 26" one bit. Since you've ridden SS before I think it just comes down to preference. I never used the gears anyway so it was an easy choice for me.

Good luck with your deicision but either way, if your happy and enjoy the ride, thats what counts.

Huffy Rider
    Slightly off topic, but I would LOVE to see a pic of the vintage Benotto. Thanks

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I have 2 bikes...a geared carbon road bike and a SS29r...I even ride my road bike like a SS when climbing (out of the saddle). I have found that in order to be a stronger on the SS, I have to RIDE the SS. In other words, I don't believe the training and benefit from riding the road bike transfers 100% to the SS. ...

@ray...get a fixed wheel road bike. It transfers really well to single speed mtb in my opinion. You'll love it.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you are going from one extreme to another, how about something in the middle.

29 HT 2x10 maybe?.... although what you REALLY WANT is two bikes isn't it?

Get a 2nd job or sell something else to justify the purchase to the wife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I would LOVE to see a pic of the vintage Benotto. Thanks
    That pic is from the day I picked it up. Since then I have only had to take it apart, clean it up, pop on some new cables, Eggbeaters and bar tape-oh and I put the seat where it belongs! Pretty cool frame, steel aero tubing! It's a little heavy, but its for training so that just means more effort.

I think I am going to clean up the MTB, list on Craigs and see what happens. I have decided on 29 HT SS and who knows, maybe one with the option to add gears should I ever decide to. Tell your friends- '08 Fisher Hifi Deluxe hitting the market soon! Thank you all for the replies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bicycle choice dilema!-045.jpg