mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Best way to spend 2-3hours on Lemmon?

I'll be in Tucson for the weekend and would like to do 2-3 hours of mostly downhill on Lemmon. We have someone who can shuttle us to the start point. Any suggestions for rides?

Thanks!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Get a shuttle to Bug Spring then make your way down through Prison Camp. The two HAB sections on Bugs should make sure you're out there 2-3 hours. After Prison Camp, you can get picked up, or take the road all the way to the bottom.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool! Is there any way to get from the end of prison camp to the bottom using trails?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    Cool! Is there any way to get from the end of prison camp to the bottom using trails?
    Absolutely. Just keep riding. If I remember the trail names correctly you finish on La Miligrosa from Molino Basin. Can't remember if that's a different route than Prison Camp when riding from Bugs. It a great finish after a minor HAB to get started. Not too sure about 3hrs though. Been a while since I've done this ride and we started higher than Bugs (Green Mtn trail). It was a 6 or 7hr day IIRC. Finished after dark and realized I left the keys to the bottom car in the truck...at the top Not for the technically challenged in many spots though but maybe the best ride I've done in AZ.

NOTE: if you drive past Molino bring 5 bucks to pay the toll.

AZSF Bugs-AZ trail-Miligrosa

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-25-2012 at 01:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Bugs Springs trail to Prison Camp pick up the AZT at the bottom of PC and down to Molino Basin. That's about the least tech section of the Lemmon Drop.

To add Millie will most likely be 3-4 hours. Stay on the AZT up and over Molino Saddle then down to West Spring. Trail turns to old 2 track at this point. Once you go thru the gate your getting close to Millie. There's no sign just a large cairn. Prison Camp is a good starting point to do just the AZT and Millie. This will give you some of the most tech.

It's still a little warm in the afternoon. Certainly not to hot to ride down low but also warm enough to drive all the way to the top and ride Aspen Draw. Not 2-3 hours worth but people have been known to ride it more then once.

More info TUCSON TRAILS | Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists

Tim
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member

above Ski Valley...-?

Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Get a shuttle to Bug Spring then make your way down through Prison Camp. The two HAB sections on Bugs should make sure you're out there 2-3 hours. After Prison Camp, you can get picked up, or take the road all the way to the bottom.
    Or, as just mentioned - ASPEN DRAW

Found the top-down about 10miles to be fairly epic. Solo, I grinded up the pavement for about 7 miles to the radio towers. Our campground served as base, then from the towers, dropped in with some dudes that were just unloading from their vehicles and rode with them for a bit. There are loops on top, and at least one incredible descent of incredible Colorado Rockies-like singletrack. Lots of shade, fallen trees, and well defined trail. It eventually drops into Ski Valley. Grab a map or print something out. I didn’t have time to extensively ride all the options down, but would venture to say you’ll have a ton of unbroken options before you – wherever you start. There are places to bail out and bolt down to your car on road if you wish. What was really great was how much cooler it was at 7K’ +. Dress wisely.
    Last edited by awesomepaw; 10-25-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: ASPEN DRAW
    That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?