Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best way to lock a bike on to a rack

So I am looking for a rear rack for my Caravan and since its also my company vehicle, it will be parked away from view with my bike on it. Any great suggestions for a lock? Any bad ideas I should avoid?

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    So I am looking for a rear rack for my Caravan and since its also my company vehicle, it will be parked away from view with my bike on it. Any great suggestions for a lock? Any bad ideas I should avoid?

Parking it away from your view (or even it your view) with your bike on it for any length of time is a bad idea no matter how you lock it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Parking it away from your view (or even it your view) with your bike on it for any length of time is a bad idea no matter how you lock it.
    Yup.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member

Yeah I know. I was hoping some new great ideas had come around since I last used a trunk mount. Oh we'll- just gonna have to keep room amongst all the tools and parts for my ride and maybe break it down when I put it in there. Ill always be in hispital service parking while I'm inside, so it would be out of sight for quite some time during the day. Thanks!

"Uppercase with a space"

Go Speed Racer
    Having had 3 bikes stolen (and two of them were heavily secured) stolen, I am very unomfortable if my bike is not currently being pushed to its limits by me, or in my house. I would have it in the van, covered and locked to something secure in the van. Theives always seem to find a way.

mtbr member
    Take off the front wheel and pedals and store it inside covered up?

mtbr member

Inside is doable but tough. I carry a lot of crap back there. But on the plus side it does have a cage back there so I will just have to get creative! This new gig has me driving all over the state so ill be getting to ride a lot of other places than the furnace!

"Uppercase with a space"

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Get a small enclosed?

mtbr member
    When I lock mine to the rack I run the cable through the bike (front and rear triangle) and on my hitch I have metal that is welded like a loop and both my cars have this, I think it is for a safety chain when you have a trailer? I just lock it to that. Is it the best, nope but that is my option so it is what I do.

mtbr member
    A little off topic but I've had problems with the shifter cable housing plastic shrinking exposing the little wires that then dig into the shifter cable making it harder to shift. This happens when I put my bike inside my car and let it sit in the sun.

mtbr member
    Another thing to think about is that a lot of times, hospitals wind up being in sketchy neighborhoods. A wide cross section of society goes in there, and a lot of times, it's people that you generally want to steer clear of. And they have friends who visit who are also dodgy criminal types with a malfunctioning moral compass.

Security at a hospital also tends to be a bunch of old men or village idiot youngsters making $9 an hour to walk around and play Words with Friends.

Just something I noticed about the hospitals I've worked in over the years.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    This new gig has me driving all over the state so ill be getting to ride a lot of other places than the furnace!

Nice!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    consider a decoy to make it look like you are still guarding the vehicle...

mtbr member
    Set out some food and water and chain this guy the the hitch:

Name:  Caucasian+Ovcharka+Nagazi.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  57.6 KB

Not the woman, though she'd be a good guard dog too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    When I lock mine to the rack I run the cable through the bike (front and rear triangle) and on my hitch I have metal that is welded like a loop and both my cars have this, I think it is for a safety chain when you have a trailer? I just lock it to that. Is it the best, nope but that is my option so it is what I do.
    I run the cable through the safety chain loop, both wheels, both triangles and the fork. I then lock it with a Master round padlock with shielded shackle. Same comment is it the best, nope but when people comment on how unsafe I just say I always need to replace >$500 (deductible) worth of stuff

mtbr member
    Best way to lock a bike on to a rack-ny-bike-lock.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Thieves suck. Saw this on a recent trip to NY.

Granted, the owner of this bike coulda done a better job securing the frame not just the wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NY Bike Lock.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	794771

Granted, the owner of this bike coulda done a better job securing the frame not just the wheel.
    A friend told me that he saw this weekend at the Whiskey Off Road a car with a hitch rack that had only four wheels locked it to it. Apparently somebody had removed the frames, etc., and just left the wheels. What a bunch of *****.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This weekend at the whiskey used a long cable lock to and went through both wheels frame (both triangles) and to hitch on the frame. Certainly not impenetrable, but it will stop the casual 5 finger discount types. I kept the bike in my hotel room over night.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

pedaller
    Any "lock" on a hitch rack will only keep the honest people honest.

I have the same setup at mtnbiketodd and lost my lock key right before the Prescott Monstercross last year. A $5 hacksaw and less than a minute later and our bikes were "free".
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NY Bike Lock.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	794771

They took the tire and tube too. Lulz. Talk about one final F U to the owner.

mtbr member
    The best way if could use 2 kryptonite Fahgettaboudit U-Locks to lock the frame and front wheel and frame and back wheel directly to some stable, hard to compromise part of the vehicle. Cables can be cut with cutters in seconds. Big heavy chains would be better - but links can be pried or sawed off.

It would take the thief good amount of time to saw thru one of those big heavy U - LOCKS - I think in Arizona the thieves are not as brazen especially if they have cut through both of these during daylight and not knowing when owner may come back.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    They took the tire and tube too. Lulz. Talk about one final F U to the owner.
    no,, that would be this:

bland
    This is how I locked my commuter bike to my slightly modified rack today when I stopped in at fry's today for some OJ and eggs. It was there 9 mins later when I got back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best way to lock a bike on to a rack-photo-23-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can't tell from the picture but is the rack bent? Did you place the bike in that position and lock it or is that how you found it?
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    This is how I locked my commuter bike to my slightly modified rack today when I stopped in at fry's today for some OJ and eggs. It was there 9 mins later when I got back.
    Looks like they tries to steal the trim off the back of your Subi instead! Lol

"Uppercase with a space"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast