Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best sustained singletrack descends in Az?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
I saw something posted like this in the Colorado forums and it got me thinking, what are AZ best continuous descends?

#2 ·
Sunrise.

Private Reserve.

Lower Wasabi.

There are big mountains in AZ, but not a lot of continuous descents!

#6 ·
Sunrise.

Private Reserve.

Lower Wasabi.

There are big mountains in AZ, but not a lot of continuous descents!
I would have to say lower wasabi, sunrise, and private reserve are not the best sustained descents, they are definitely fun though. the best semi lengthy descents right in Scottsdale would be the backside of Wingate (going into McDowell mtn regional), or down either side of sunrise (in the Sonoran preserve), there are plenty of small descents.

#9 ·
AZT Reavis Canyon is pretty good as show in the video above, there are a few short climbs on the way down though.

From the top of Sunrise Pass in the McDowell's, drop off the backside down to Windgate to Coachwhip to Pemberton. That's a long fast track, even taking the Prospector trail down to Dixie Mine is nice, one short climb on Dixie before hitting Pemby.

AZT Gila River Canyons, the descent to the Gila River is a hoot, a couple of punchy bits thrown in for good measure.

AZT heading north into Bloodsucker Wash, again a few short ups on the way down, down, down.

For me, I prefer the XC descents, the big gnar DH stuff just isn't for me. I like watching others shred that stuff though. The last two listed are remote and you have to work to get to them, but if you're in the area and enjoy a good effort before the reward it's the ticket.

Oh yeah, AZT heading north from Twin Lakes Rd to the Gabe Zimmerman TH (southeast of Tucson), just a super nice long flowy section of singletrack. ~15 miles.

Isn't the Lemmon Drop all downhill?? :nono: (A: NO. Don't be fooled. 4000'+ of climbing on the way down that monster)

#10 ·
I'd say Mesquite Canyon at the White Tanks qualifies. It's about a 7 mile descent from where it intersects Goat Camp to the bottom, about 2,000 ft elevation, and is single track.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Great replies everyone. It's kinda funny, I have ridden most of trails you guys have listed with the exception of BCT, McDowells and anything south of Tucson. Some of my fav's are Private, Wasabi, Orion spring to bottom SC, AZ trail from aspen corner to SB road, also recently just rode some killer stuff in the Pinals Mtns. I think I might have to check out the Mcdowells soon and maybe the mesquite out and back.

#14 ·
How is Reevis trail nowadays?
it was hella scratchy last time I did it, but something like a 15mi smokin' downhill.

Also Mund's wagon all the way from the top/top in the pines off the Schnebly viewpoint - few people ride it.

I think people are missing the #1 & #2 in the state......both in Williams.....and one I won't mention.....think fire lookouts, the older the better.

Also AZ trail to Canelo.....

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

#15 ·
How is Reevis trail nowadays?
it was hella scratchy last time I did it, but something like a 15mi smokin' downhill.

Also Mund's wagon all the way from the top/top in the pines off the Schnebly viewpoint - few people ride it.

I think people are missing the #1 & #2 in the state......both in Williams.....and one I won't mention.....think fire lookouts, the older the better.

Also AZ trail to Canelo.....

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
BW Trail has that climb in the middle, the top is steep to the point of almost not being fun, but you deal with it because it gets better and chunky towards the bottom. Lots of little natural features make it kind of a mini-national, but Organ Doner to anything is easily better, along with National, 6 Shooter, etc. BW is definitely a good alternative to Flagstaff if you've been over-doing it at Flag and it's crowded, but it's like 2 good trails vs. a whole plethora of good trails. I've come down on the Benham side before and it wasn't nearly as much fun as the BW side. More fun trying to climb around all those switchbacks IMO. Good descent on the BW side, but National is still much more of a playground, many more options off Flag Trails. Go do Benham to BW if you haven't, it's worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.