mtbr member

Best sustained singletrack descends in Az?

I saw something posted like this in the Colorado forums and it got me thinking, what are AZ best continuous descends?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sunrise.

Private Reserve.

Lower Wasabi.

There are big mountains in AZ, but not a lot of continuous descents!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Give it a crank
    There's quite a few spread out over AZ, everyone's got their favorite.

Locally, the west side of Tom's Thumb all the way to Gateway trailhead is one smoking descent.

Quote Originally Posted by richiebankrupt View Post
    I saw something posted like this in the Colorado forums and it got me thinking, what are AZ best continuous descends?
    depends on what you mean by continuous. The drop from the top of Ripsey to the new trailhead is pretty sweet, but does have one little uphill section.

The trail from the top of Wolverton to White Spar is pretty fun too.

Ahhh the pain....
    AZT from Aspen Corner to SB road
    AZT going north into Picket Post
    AZT going north off of Ripsey (as mentioned above)
    BCT Cheapshot section (going south towards little pan loop)
    BCT descent back down to river (Skyline section)
    BCT Antelope Canyon
    AZT going north to FR418
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Sunrise.

Private Reserve.

Lower Wasabi.

There are big mountains in AZ, but not a lot of continuous descents!
    I would have to say lower wasabi, sunrise, and private reserve are not the best sustained descents, they are definitely fun though. the best semi lengthy descents right in Scottsdale would be the backside of Wingate (going into McDowell mtn regional), or down either side of sunrise (in the Sonoran preserve), there are plenty of small descents.

mtbr member
    sixshooter
    Some sixshooter action
    Some video Stoke from AZ
    Oh yeah ! Stokage :D

AZT: Passage 18 Reavis Canyon Trail
    AZT: Passage 18 Reavis Canyon Trail the full Dossier

I haven't been on either of these trails, or the ones other people before me mentioned, but these two seem pretty good from Clockwork's videos
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdestroyer View Post
    I would have to say lower wasabi, sunrise, and private reserve are not the best sustained descents, they are definitely fun though. the best semi lengthy descents right in Scottsdale would be the backside of Wingate (going into McDowell mtn regional), or down either side of sunrise (in the Sonoran preserve), there are plenty of small descents.
    Most of the real good descents in the state are not continuous. That's the issue. I'd rather ride a lot of other descents than what's in this thread, but then there'd be pedaling uphill.

A few trails off the Pinals have a little more sustained descending, Kellner Canyon, Squaw Creek (underrated IMO). Organ doner and all of Wasabi down is fantastic, but you gotta pedal uphill just a bit to get to the top.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    AZT Reavis Canyon is pretty good as show in the video above, there are a few short climbs on the way down though.

From the top of Sunrise Pass in the McDowell's, drop off the backside down to Windgate to Coachwhip to Pemberton. That's a long fast track, even taking the Prospector trail down to Dixie Mine is nice, one short climb on Dixie before hitting Pemby.

AZT Gila River Canyons, the descent to the Gila River is a hoot, a couple of punchy bits thrown in for good measure.

AZT heading north into Bloodsucker Wash, again a few short ups on the way down, down, down.

For me, I prefer the XC descents, the big gnar DH stuff just isn't for me. I like watching others shred that stuff though. The last two listed are remote and you have to work to get to them, but if you're in the area and enjoy a good effort before the reward it's the ticket.

Oh yeah, AZT heading north from Twin Lakes Rd to the Gabe Zimmerman TH (southeast of Tucson), just a super nice long flowy section of singletrack. ~15 miles.

Isn't the Lemmon Drop all downhill?? (A: NO. Don't be fooled. 4000'+ of climbing on the way down that monster)
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I'd say Mesquite Canyon at the White Tanks qualifies. It's about a 7 mile descent from where it intersects Goat Camp to the bottom, about 2,000 ft elevation, and is single track.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

slower than you

hard to beat

what it lacks in elevation change (just over 1000') over its 5.5 miles of sustained descending it more than makes up for in awesome: top of orion spring trail to the bottom of schultz ... Strava Segment | Top of Orion Springs/Secret to bottom of Shultz Creek Descent.

Best sustained singletrack descends in Az?-orionschultz.jpg
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Great replies everyone. It's kinda funny, I have ridden most of trails you guys have listed with the exception of BCT, McDowells and anything south of Tucson. Some of my fav's are Private, Wasabi, Orion spring to bottom SC, AZ trail from aspen corner to SB road, also recently just rode some killer stuff in the Pinals Mtns. I think I might have to check out the Mcdowells soon and maybe the mesquite out and back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    SoMo Super D (TV towers parking lot to Javelina parking lot) is long fun descent but it's not continuous, there is a handful of short climbs.

SoMo Super D - YouTube

mtbr member
    How is Reevis trail nowadays?
    it was hella scratchy last time I did it, but something like a 15mi smokin' downhill.

Also Mund's wagon all the way from the top/top in the pines off the Schnebly viewpoint - few people ride it.

I think people are missing the #1 & #2 in the state......both in Williams.....and one I won't mention.....think fire lookouts, the older the better.

Also AZ trail to Canelo.....

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles View Post
    How is Reevis trail nowadays?
    it was hella scratchy last time I did it, but something like a 15mi smokin' downhill.

Also Mund's wagon all the way from the top/top in the pines off the Schnebly viewpoint - few people ride it.

I think people are missing the #1 & #2 in the state......both in Williams.....and one I won't mention.....think fire lookouts, the older the better.

Also AZ trail to Canelo.....

BW Trail has that climb in the middle, the top is steep to the point of almost not being fun, but you deal with it because it gets better and chunky towards the bottom. Lots of little natural features make it kind of a mini-national, but Organ Doner to anything is easily better, along with National, 6 Shooter, etc. BW is definitely a good alternative to Flagstaff if you've been over-doing it at Flag and it's crowded, but it's like 2 good trails vs. a whole plethora of good trails. I've come down on the Benham side before and it wasn't nearly as much fun as the BW side. More fun trying to climb around all those switchbacks IMO. Good descent on the BW side, but National is still much more of a playground, many more options off Flag Trails. Go do Benham to BW if you haven't, it's worth it.

Over the Hill
    I like Bill Williams as a down...wish it was longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The gas station trail down Mingus into Cottonwood? It's pretty long.

I just remembered the name, Maverick I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    BW Trail has that climb in the middle, the top is steep to the point of almost not being fun, but you deal with it because it gets better and chunky towards the bottom. Lots of little natural features make it kind of a mini-national, but Organ Doner to anything is easily better, along with National, 6 Shooter, etc. BW is definitely a good alternative to Flagstaff if you've been over-doing it at Flag and it's crowded, but it's like 2 good trails vs. a whole plethora of good trails. I've come down on the Benham side before and it wasn't nearly as much fun as the BW side. More fun trying to climb around all those switchbacks IMO. Good descent on the BW side, but National is still much more of a playground, many more options off Flag Trails. Go do Benham to BW if you haven't, it's worth it.
    Priceless! Garro, I'll bet you've never ridden Bill Williams that way before

Jayem, you need to try Bixler. That's the DH shizzle.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Priceless! Garro, I'll bet you've never ridden Bill Williams that way before

Jayem, you need to try Bixler. That's the DH shizzle.
    Actually we used to do the 4th of July "triple dipper" every year where you went up B to the 3rd raod crossing, then up the road, down BW to Bix, down bix to the saddle, back up bix, down BW, across the excellent trail from the FS office to the dam, to the end of the lake & then on that trail to the jesus is lord camp, back to the tower road to the top, and then down all of B-ham.
    It would make pople cry & cuss......
    The off to the World Famous Sultana!
    There is a good trail just through the old ski area gate immediately on the right that goes around the S side of the mountain all the way to BW trail.....
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Actually we used to do the 4th of July "triple dipper" every year where you went up B to the 3rd raod crossing, then up the road, down BW to Bix, down bix to the saddle, back up bix, down BW, across the excellent trail from the FS office to the dam, to the end of the lake & then on that trail to the jesus is lord camp, back to the tower road to the top, and then down all of B-ham.
    There is a good trail just through the old ski area gate immediately on the right that goes around the S side of the mountain all the way to BW trail.....
    That's what I was referring to. I was never man enough to join in. That, or the traditional 4th July last day of skiing in Abineau for that elusive 200' patch of white gold.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've ridden most of those, if not all of those. By "good trail" do you mean that there is "kinda" a trail there that a few people have ridden over the last year or so, or do you mean something that's actually maintained, designed for riding, etc? Yes, bixler is good, but some of those routes are barely worth it from a riding perspective IMO. The descents are still good.